'Belize City' port worth going through all the other ports again?

fstuff1

Breakaway/Pearl have the Belize City port till March 2019.

then no more for the rest of the year.

i've been to all the other ports at least twice in the past 2 years  (ie: Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, etc).

Is Belize City worth it?

You'll get various replies about the city itself, mostly negative I'd bet. There's been some safety issues  there and of course NCL has Harvest Cay open now as an alternative.

Haven't been around the Belize City myself, we did a ship's excursion to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai which involves a bus ride then a fast boat ride on the New river. It was a great day and a good thing it was a ship's excursion as the last tender was being held for us!

Edited by pspercy
  • Like 1

No. We did Belize city years ago and did cave tubing. The city itself is nowhere you would want to explore. The cave tubing was fun but there are I’m sure similar experiences in other places.

Edited by sanger727

7 hours ago, pspercy said:

You'll get various replies about the city itself, mostly negative I'd bet. There's been some safety issues  there and of course NCL has Harvest Cay open now as an alternative.

Haven't been around the Belize City myself, we did a ship's excursion to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai which involves a bus ride then a fast boat ride on the New river. It was a great day and a good thing it was a ship's excursion as the last tender was being held for us!

My wife and I and another couple did that excursion a few years ago. Long day but it was well worth it!

One of the best excursions we've ever had while cruising was the cave tubing in Belize. Not through the cruise, though, a 3rd party. It was on our very first cruise, and we absolutely loved the personal attention, and the tubing itself.

We are still thinking about it years later. After the tubing, the guide took us to a nice local restaurant, where my DH and friends had a very nice meal. After the tubing I got a migraine and was in no mood to eat, especially since I didn't bring any meds with me on an actual tour (who would have thought I'd get a migraine?). The waitress was so sweet - she gave me ibuprophen.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

12 minutes ago, shady2415 said:

We had Belize City last April as a replacement port due to MSC ship running a ground at roatan and was not impressed at all very dirty and poor looking so it's a no for me to return to Belize City.

well, yeah, the city itself is no fun, but the cave tubing?

Lamanai was pretty cool as a site, but it's a long day -- and we were sweating out the ride back because we were on a well-recommended-but-non-ship excursion and we didn't get back until 10 minutes past when NCL said the last tender would be. The tour operators insisted that we'd be fine, and we were -- in fact, there was another tender even after us -- but it was nerve-wracking and put a damper on the whole experience.

Also, for what it's worth, my wife, who's from Mexico, has seen many Maya ruins before and said that Lamanai wasn't that impressive for her. After seeing Teotihuacan in Mexico City, I kind of agree.

I'd do it if you really want to see some ruins, or want to do cave-tubing. Otherwise, I wouldn't specifically seek out a cruise with Belize City in the itinerary.

Edited by dcipjr