Gov't Shutdown/Payment Question

junglecat

Good morning!

My future son in law is a TSA worker and as we all know, he's working and not getting paid.  I was curious to know if, without the booking number and pin number am I able to make a payment toward their honeymoon cruise?  They aren't getting married until September so time is on our side.  Their plan was to make payments and be done with it long before sailing date.  Since the shutdown, wedding and honeymoon plans have taken a major back burner.  To add to our helping out I would like to make a payment toward their cruise or maybe even pay their tips.  I don't know any details other than when they are sailing, their ship and their port.  I tried to do it this morning and it asks questions that I don't have answers to.  Any thoughts?  

• Like 2

Have you tried calling the Cruise line. Explain to them the situation and maybe they can help without having to have all the information. Good luck and praying for all those effected by this situation.

I doubt that can be done without the information of the booking number

but it doesn't hurt to ask

7 hours ago, junglecat said:

Good morning!

My future son in law is a TSA worker and as we all know, he's working and not getting paid.  I was curious to know if, without the booking number and pin number am I able to make a payment toward their honeymoon cruise?  They aren't getting married until September so time is on our side.  Their plan was to make payments and be done with it long before sailing date.  Since the shutdown, wedding and honeymoon plans have taken a major back burner.  To add to our helping out I would like to make a payment toward their cruise or maybe even pay their tips.  I don't know any details other than when they are sailing, their ship and their port.  I tried to do it this morning and it asks questions that I don't have answers to.  Any thoughts?  

I would just ask them for their reservation number. My daughter just asked me what mine was, as she wanted to make a payment on it for my birthday. And low and behold, I just noticed she paid $150 towards my cruise! Pretty cool! 👍I think your daughter would gladly give you the number, if she thought you were helping them out.

Edited by grandmarnnurse

Definitely inform them of what you are doing.  You don't want to make a payment without their knowledge and then their plans change and you lose your money if for some reason they don't pay off cruise or didn't purchase the insurance.  It is a wonderful gesture but could go south very fast if you don't communicate with the couple.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, Kermarkim said:

Definitely inform them of what you are doing.  You don't want to make a payment without their knowledge and then their plans change and you lose your money if for some reason they don't pay off cruise or didn't purchase the insurance.  It is a wonderful gesture but could go south very fast if you don't communicate with the couple.

Letting them know might also relieve some of their stress.  That might be a worthwhile gift in itself.

• Like 1

If he's working and not getting paid, won't he eventually get all of the back pay when the government reopens?

So if he has to make a large payment in February/March after getting his back pay, not a big deal, right?

But yeah, I agree with the idea of just giving him Carnival gift cards if you want to help.

11 minutes ago, bowlinmoe said:

If he's working and not getting paid, won't he eventually get all of the back pay when the government reopens?

So if he has to make a large payment in February/March after getting his back pay, not a big deal, right?

But yeah, I agree with the idea of just giving him Carnival gift cards if you want to help.

This "they'll be getting back pay" thing is no longer a fallback plan after 30+ days and no end in sight.  With all the other bills they have piling up, I'm sure it IS a big deal to put a large lump sum on a cruise whenever this pay comes.... not to mention that 'getting back pay' doesn't help you buy groceries and food today.

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, junglecat said:

Good morning!

I did this with  my parents a couple of years ago. I called CCL direct, gave them my parents name, ship, sailing date, and they were able to help. Of coarse I was on the same cruise so I don't know if that made a difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

This "they'll be getting back pay" thing is no longer a fallback plan after 30+ days and no end in sight.  With all the other bills they have piling up, I'm sure it IS a big deal to put a large lump sum on a cruise whenever this pay comes.... not to mention that 'getting back pay' doesn't help you buy groceries and food today.

I hear you and groceries/food is obviously priority #1 but from everything I read, they will eventually get ALL of their back pay.  

Do you have a link that says otherwise?

If their cruise is in September, they have plenty of time before they have to pay it off.  If the government is not reopened for several months, they have bigger issues to deal with than a cruise, imo.

I think I would keep the money in the bank until final payment is due.  That way you should know if they are still going and everything has worked out.  And then buy a carnival gift card to apply to final payment.  Good luck with everything.

3 hours ago, bowlinmoe said:

I hear you and groceries/food is obviously priority #1 but from everything I read, they will eventually get ALL of their back pay.  

Do you have a link that says otherwise?

If their cruise is in September, they have plenty of time before they have to pay it off.  If the government is not reopened for several months, they have bigger issues to deal with than a cruise, imo.

Can you imagine the amount of taxes they’ll take out with that lump sum back pay?!?  I shudder to think about it!