Will the Scarlet Lady be competition to Regent?

Travelcat2

21 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

I dislike tattoos with the exception of military ones which to me is a tattoo of honor.

I served 20 years on Active Duty and never got a single tattoo - and about 10 years after I retired I figured, hey, why not?  I was always concerned that any tattoo I got I wouldn't like when I was old...so when I got 'old' I jumped in.  I always liked the eagle and flag tattoos, so I combined them.  I also spent about a third of my career in Germany so I added the German flag.  I was living in Colorado and love the mountains, so...mountains.  And my tattoo artist suggested adding my grade insignia.  So I guess this one qualifies as a military tattoo.  I added a bit of blue sky above the mountains about a month later to help them stand out.  I also told him I had to be able to cover it with a short-sleeved shirt just in case.  

That said, I put a lot of thought into this one and met with my guy three or four times to work out the layout.  I sat 4 sessions for about 9 1/2 hours total to get it all done.  I would NOT think about doing one on a ship, rough seas or not.

image.thumb.png.b5941bf33c391fe4d57b5b21c2f358e5.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I guess, but nothing said really matters--Post have been more about the TATTOO SHOP than the ship.  Now when  the Ritz-Carlton sails and post start to come in---that will have interesting postings and will be competition for Regent.

Not sure how new yachts with less than 300 passengers can compete with Regent, Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal any more than Scenic Yachts can.  Actually, from what I've read (and there is plenty out there about the Ritz Carlton yachts), it will be beautiful but Scenic offers more.  Somehow, having a loyalty program tied into Marriott and Starwood (not finalized) makes me question who their passengers will be.

In my opinion, there will be a whole new luxury category of small yachts and they will be gorgeous.  It will be interesting to see how such small ships can be profitable.  After all, Seabourn had three small ships - ended up selling them and building larger ship.

Time will tell for the new entrants into the cruising world next year.

52 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I served 20 years on Active Duty and never got a single tattoo - and about 10 years after I retired I figured, hey, why not?  I was always concerned that any tattoo I got I wouldn't like when I was old...so when I got 'old' I jumped in.  I always liked the eagle and flag tattoos, so I combined them.  I also spent about a third of my career in Germany so I added the German flag.  I was living in Colorado and love the mountains, so...mountains.  And my tattoo artist suggested adding my grade insignia.  So I guess this one qualifies as a military tattoo.  I added a bit of blue sky above the mountains about a month later to help them stand out.  I also told him I had to be able to cover it with a short-sleeved shirt just in case.  

That said, I put a lot of thought into this one and met with my guy three or four times to work out the layout.  I sat 4 sessions for about 9 1/2 hours total to get it all done.  I would NOT think about doing one on a ship, rough seas or not.

Bill, that is a great tattoo and most of all thank you for your service.  I know you have heard that before but I mean it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

MSgt Bill!!

Real nice ink and love the rank.  For those of you not aware of it, Bill’s rank represents the backbone of our military:  the enlisted corps.  As a young lieutenant, I had my attitude adjusted a few times from a couple of crusty Master Sergeants like Bill.  Unlike him, I went for a tat opposite from my military service and ended up with a Tasmanian devil on one arm and New York Yankees on the other. 

Z and TB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Bill, that is a great tattoo and most of all thank you for your service.  I know you have heard that before but I mean it.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Bill, really a great tattoo!

1 hour ago, Maxmann65 said:

Love your tat Bill! Even though we shared a cruise I never saw it. Good job 🙂  Thanks for your time in service!

38 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

MSgt Bill!!

Real nice ink and love the rank.  For those of you not aware of it, Bill’s rank represents the backbone of our military:  the enlisted corps.  As a young lieutenant, I had my attitude adjusted a few times from a couple of crusty Master Sergeants like Bill.  Unlike him, I went for a tat opposite from my military service and ended up with a Tasmanian devil on one arm and New York Yankees on the other. 

Z and TB

Thanks, all.  Most people I know don’t know I have ink; I usually keep them under wraps. I know military service and tattoos are a bit OT, so I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.   😁

PS - Z, thank you for your service as well - and to anyone else who served.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Agree MalbecWine,

Your story and tattoo gave me goosebumps. Thank you to those who served to keep us safe from harm. Nothing worse than this weeks news about "Stolen Valor".  You are true heroes.

Definitely not a ship I would be interested in.  But they may find their demographic.

as far as tattoos, let me tell you, as a doctor, I have seen some real tattoo disasters. And as a person who gets bored with the same nail polish after 2 weeks, definitely not for me.

• Like 1

We are intrigued by Virgin ....I think folks are getting too hung up on a tattoo parlor.  The ship seems like it will be a lot more than just that.  I dont think we should pre judge too much until we hear some reviews after the first few sailings.  We are one of the few who put down a $500 deposit a long time ago to receive first crack at the itineraries.  So we get to see the itineraries and can book beginning Feb 5th, whereas those who dont have the deposit wait until the 14th.  We primarily sail Silversea,  Seabourn and Celebrity and currently I’m sitting on my veranda on the Regent Voyager.  We are 46 and 51, so we dont mind a bit more different kinds of entertainment.  For us, some of the entertainment on here is way before our time....so I think it might be fun to try something different.  We have always firmly believed that travel is about adventure, experiencing new things, cultures, people...in addition to stepping out of our comfort zone from time to time.  We have never really understood those folks that get on a ship and never step foot on land...just a concept that seems counterintuitive to travel...but to each his own...as long as they are happy.  I think we will try Virgin out of curiosity...but I dont think it will be a frequent choice.  I think its mostly Caribbean for them...not even sure if the ship will go to Europe in the summer?? We like to travel the world and the bigger ships, while fun and offer something different , stick with the bigger ports that the masses all go to and are already way too crowded.  

2 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

We are intrigued by Virgin ....I think folks are getting too hung up on a tattoo parlor.  The ship seems like it will be a lot more than just that.  I dont think we should pre judge too much until we hear some reviews after the first few sailings.  We are one of the few who put down a $500 deposit a long time ago to receive first crack at the itineraries.  So we get to see the itineraries and can book beginning Feb 5th, whereas those who dont have the deposit wait until the 14th.  We primarily sail Silversea,  Seabourn and Celebrity and currently I’m sitting on my veranda on the Regent Voyager.  We are 46 and 51, so we dont mind a bit more different kinds of entertainment.  For us, some of the entertainment on here is way before our time....so I think it might be fun to try something different.  We have always firmly believed that travel is about adventure, experiencing new things, cultures, people...in addition to stepping out of our comfort zone from time to time.  We have never really understood those folks that get on a ship and never step foot on land...just a concept that seems counterintuitive to travel...but to each his own...as long as they are happy.  I think we will try Virgin out of curiosity...but I dont think it will be a frequent choice.  I think its mostly Caribbean for them...not even sure if the ship will go to Europe in the summer?? We like to travel the world and the bigger ships, while fun and offer something different , stick with the bigger ports that the masses all go to and are already way too crowded.  

I think you're right on.  We also like Sea Dreams--small, much younger group than us.  But they do a great job on food, service with a great crew.  That said we still like Regent and now cruise them the most.

3 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

We are intrigued by Virgin ....I think folks are getting too hung up on a tattoo parlor.  

Agree completely.  Canyon Ranch Spas on Regent offer bikini waxing, but have yet to sign up for this service on any of our numerous cruises. 😂

Yesterday  a poster indicated that the Ritz Carlton yachts would be more of a competitor than the Scarlet Lady which I agreed with but I posted that Scenic sounds like a better cruise line.  Coincidentally, I received a brochure from them yesterday.

The yacht carries 200 passengers.  The "Exclusive Offer" through February 28th includes:

Free deposit protection on all departures

Private door to door transfers (up to a $450 value per cabin - all departures)

Up to $1,000 OBC

Free 3-day Stay in NYC on all US and Canada voyages

Up to 10% early bird savings

Their normal inclusions are:

Ten dining experiences that includes private dining options

Unlimited beverages (they use the word "free")

Butler for all cabins

Shore Excursions

A discovery Team with unique experiences that arrange all shore excursions.

Fleet of Zodiacs onboard as well as e-bikes, snorkel gear and snowshoes for even more exploration.        

Yet, I still do not think that they will be a major competitor to Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea.  

Some luxury passengers do not care for such small boats/yachts.  Other luxury passengers are not able to take advantage of some of their exploration cruises.  They do have itineraries in the U.S., Canada and Europe, however, after reading the brochure, I was not able to determine if these itineraries are on the Eclipse (the only ship that really wows me).

Even if they took 200 passengers a week from the four main luxury cruise lines, in my opinion, that is a drop in the bucket.  

10 minutes ago, mikenbob said:

Agree completely.  Canyon Ranch Spas on Regent offer bikini waxing, but have yet to sign up for this service on any of our numerous cruises. 😂

I was posting when you posted.  We were not hung up on the tattoo parlor but do not want to be on a ship with drinking games and the "loudest servers at sea".  

OTOH, I can see no reason why some people wouldn't want to give it a try - assuming that the prices are competitive.

We like something different than Regent from time to time, and that isn’t unusual, I hear. For example, we liked the Celebrity Royal suite as an alternative, trading a small bit of elegance and privacy for a MUCH larger suite at the same price. We liked MSC Yacht Club, trading being confined to just one part of the ship for the lux experience at 70% less cost than Regent. But from available info, the Scarlet Lady seems to be “a bridge too far”.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:31 AM, Travelcat2 said:

David, if I can find the place where I copied this quote:  "Virgin Voyages has joined the ranks of several other high-end lines visiting Cuba. Those lines include Silversea, Seabourn, PONANT, SeaDream and Regent Seven Seas.", I will post the source.  What you read sounds like a conflict with what I read.  Heck, I cannot even figure out if they are all-inclusive or not.  

Have to say that I do like their logo:

image.png.3cc8e2b0cea845d11621e99edcc0befd.png

TC2

that’s just a clever bit of spin saying that they are visiting Cuba, like other lines have done. It’s not really a direct comparison to Seabourn and the other luxury lines.

Lord Branson knows how to be different. He is obviously trying to redefine “class” for the younger demographic by purposively blurring the line between luxury and premium and putting a heavy gloss on the fact that Virgin has always been a brand for nerds who think they are cool.

Well after reading the CNN article on the Scarlet Lady and viewing the photos (they did a great job), however this isn't the ship for me---I'm 100% sure I won't be sailing with them.  The dining program alone would stop me, and the suites-a bit too much flash. Just what I think, like most have said it's not for everybody.  So Bill you can put me down as a no..........