Will the Scarlet Lady be competition to Regent?

Travelcat2

On 2/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, Travelcat2 said:

The only reason I question whether alcohol will be all-inclusive is because of their advertised drinking contest in one of the restaurants.  If it I not all-inclusive, the cost to participate in the drinking contest would like be high.  OTOH, most cruise lines now (mainstream through premium-plus), offer an alcohol package (not all alcohol packages are the same - some have low level alcohol brands vs. top brands on Regent and Oceania).  My guess is that they will include alcohol or at least have an option to purchase an alcohol package.  I can't see Branson having the level of alcohol choices of non-luxury brands.  Time will tell.

Hey there, so as an update...we have booked the maiden voyage April 2nd 2020. We were one of the few that had paid $500 deposit to book before the general public.  We got our first choice of suite...and. Aft corner suite on deck 13 with a huge wraparound veranda.  My understanding is that basic beverages will be included, such as coffee, tea, sodas, waters etc.  Suite guests will have a mini bar stocked in their room and the “first round” is on Virgin according to their PR person in the facebook group I follow.  They haven’t mentioned any details about beverage packages beyond that.  And you are right, no buffets but something like 18 different restaurants.  

Some folks seem to be getting hung up on some smaller things and blowing them out of proportion ...like a drinking contest.  Not sure where that came from.  That doesnt mean the cruises are going to be a drunken fest.  I hate trivia and bridge but I dont avoid a cruise because of it or even disparage it for having music that is well before my time.  There’s always plenty of things on most cruises to keep me entertained.  I agree with another poster, than some of the comments on here seem to have tunnel vision.  Its ok if the cruiseline isn’t everyone ...theyre’ not trying to appeal to everyone.... but I agree TC...it’s fascinating to see how they are changing things up.  Will I love them and want to cruise more and more with them? Who knows....I wont know until I try them for myself.  I never judge something I haven’t tried myself.  In the meantime, we are excited about our maiden voyage with them and they have a ‘secret destination” as one of the ports of call.....we are assuming its their own private island they are developing ....will just have to stay tuned to see...

Tarwood - the "drinking contest" was in one of their earlier descriptions of the ship (not sure if linked it on page one or not.  Anyway, it is a feature of the Korean restaurant.  I wasn't put off by that as much as the Korean restaurant having the "loudest servers at sea".

While this ship is not for us, I can imagine that it will be an amazing experience and will be enjoyed by many.  

Tarwood, I have to say you thought this out.  I agree to many people talked about nothing---who cares if they have a tattoo parlor, it's something most people won't use, but it's great PR.  I think you'll have a great cruise and look forward to reading about it once you cruise.  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Tarwood - the "drinking contest" was in one of their earlier descriptions of the ship (not sure if linked it on page one or not.  Anyway, it is a feature of the Korean restaurant.  I wasn't put off by that as much as the Korean restaurant having the "loudest servers at sea".

While this ship is not for us, I can imagine that it will be an amazing experience and will be enjoyed by many.  

Agreed....loud servers doesnt sound like something I would enjoy, but Korean food is certainly something I love.  Will have to see what that is all about.  Hopefully its not like some restaurants you go that have “live entertainment”.  The band is so loud that you cant carry on a conversation with your table mates...that would defintley suck! 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, UUNetBill said:

Well, booze package or no, doesn't make a whit of difference to me as I'll never be on board.  Not my style...my idea of a drinking contest is trying to determine the distillery and age of a specific single malt whiskey... 

Surprise, surprise, there is such a thing!

I am involved with a charity and a few years ago we changed our annual fundraiser from a "rubber chicken dinner" to a fun night that  includes many different games and activities. For the whiskey challenge, each participant pays $50.00 for a seat, there are eight seats per game. Each participant is provided with tasting shots of six different single malts and a list of twelve from which they have to match the match the whisky to the list, the one that has the most correct guesses can select a bottle of single malt as their prize.

It is one of the most successful tables for the night and there is usually a line to play, and participants are only allowed to play once per evening.

gnomie :classic_smile:

• Like 1

At first, I thought the original post was a joke.  I can't imagine a ship with drinking games, tattoo parlors, and cabins with hokey names is competition for Regent.  Maybe the ship will have luxury type finishes but the description of it makes it sound like a Carnival cruise but at a high price.

Just one person's opinion--as they say "Whatever floats your boat."  No pun intended.

Well, I just received an email from my TA with all kinds of information about the new Virgin Ship--lots of photos of decks, public places, cabins, etc.  Also, they are advertising that they are open for reservations.  While it looks interesting, it's not for me.  Have done the Caribbean in my younger days, don't need to go again.  Did Cuba with a group that was allowed to visit before Obama dropped all of the restrictions.  I can't imagine going to Cuba on a cruise.  Again, different strokes for different folks.  It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those who do book.

39 minutes ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Well, I just received an email from my TA with all kinds of information about the new Virgin Ship--lots of photos of decks, public places, cabins, etc.  Also, they are advertising that they are open for reservations.  While it looks interesting, it's not for me.  Have done the Caribbean in my younger days, don't need to go again.  Did Cuba with a group that was allowed to visit before Obama dropped all of the restrictions.  I can't imagine going to Cuba on a cruise.  Again, different strokes for different folks.  It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those who do book.

As I mentioned previously, although Virgin is not specifying any age category, this appears to me to be marketed to the younger crowd looking for a unique holiday experience. The fact that the length of the cruise is short and is in the Caribbean (short travel distances) speaks to the fact that they are gearing the trips to those individuals still working looking to get away. While many people who travel Regent are retired and can travel for longer periods of time, those of us still working are not so lucky. Friends who I travel with are not allowed to take off more than one week at a time (which is not unusual) which greatly limits our options so I can see the market that Virgin is going after, however I don't think this type of cruise would be my cup of tea. In my younger years maybe I would have considered this, but back then I was too busy paying off student loans to even consider such a luxury.

6 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Tarwood, I have to say you thought this out.  I agree to many people talked about nothing---who cares if they have a tattoo parlor, it's something most people won't use, but it's great PR.  I think you'll have a great cruise and look forward to reading about it once you cruise.  

Very well put.

As a reminder, I started this thread to share information about a new ship that was so mysterious that one could not tell if it were a luxury cruise ship or not.  As articles have slowly emerged about the ship, I (and others) have updated the thread.  The "unique" cabins/suites, dining venues, tattoo parlor, drinking games in the Korean restaurant are all part of the Scarlet Lady experience.

Yes - people have made good natured jokes about the ship but no one was being disrespectful.  This has always been meant as a light hearted thread.  Tarwood "gets it"...... we are talking about essentially nothing but it has been fun discussing it.  

TC2, 

Yes, from what we can know, ttiis cruise is beyond comparison with anything we know. I guess Branson intended it that way. We cannot know important details until we get reports from the “sailors” who have taken it. All I know is that I know nothing about beverage inclusiveness, and do know that it is only going to the Caribbean for now. For us, if it isn’t beverage inclusive for the whole ship (or doesn’t have a good, reasonable package) we aren’t going. Also, we have cruised the Caribbean so much that we wish not to go again — even if it were free! It probably will have a market, though I don’t know what. And, if it lasts, “adjustments” will be made. But right now, to us, it just seems weird.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

TC2, 

Yes, from what we can know, ttiis cruise is beyond comparison with anything we know. I guess Branson intended it that way. We cannot know important details until we get reports from the “sailors” who have taken it. All I know is that I know nothing about beverage inclusiveness, and do know that it is only going to the Caribbean for now. For us, if it isn’t beverage inclusive for the whole ship (or doesn’t have a good, reasonable package) we aren’t going. Also, we have cruised the Caribbean so much that we wish not to go again — even if it were free! It probably will have a market, though I don’t know what. And, if it lasts, “adjustments” will be made. But right now, to us, it just seems weird.

"Weird" is a great word for it.  Based on recent posts, it appears that alcohol will not be inclusive but no "package" information has been released yet.

In terms of the Caribbean, most of us have been over it for years, yet, it remains extremely popular for people sailing on mainstream cruise lines.  RCI keeps building more and more mega-ships and when they dock in the Caribbean, it is madness.  Since the prices on Regent are as low as you can get, some people sail to the Caribbean and stay on the ship.  Since Splendor will be in the Caribbean for a while (after she returns to the Med. for summer season), she would be a great ship for newbies to try out in the Caribbean.  

• Like 1

Our “bucket list” is almost completed now and we are getting older.

So, we are enjoying cruising on Explorer in the Caribbean again.

We live in Florida in the winter months so no air,  just a car to the port in Miami. We think of it as a 10 day floating luxury  hotel. We love the ship, the food and dining, the service and the relaxation. Nothing new to see on the islands. Maybe take a little walk or a drive. 

Relax and enjoy life! That’s our motto. 

Sheila and Herb

• Like 1

Well, I may have egg on my face!

Just came back from having brunch with friends and could not believe that the first topic of conversation was the Scarlett Lady. When we travel together, I am usually the one to initiate all the arrangements, but this time everyone else at the table was well aware of the ship, apparently Virgin/Branson is well versed in social media and has been marketing to very specific demographics in terms of location, age, profession. So while I claimed earlier that this was not my cup of tea, I enjoy traveling and getting away with my friends. I was quite surprised at the level of excitement demonstrated and am curious as to how the advertisement was presented, but since I am not on Facebook I guess I won't find out.  For many, this would be a big splurge and a celebratory trip and we always have a good time wherever we are. I suggested we not book the maiden season until all the "kinks" get worked out.

This is the interesting part - I have known some of these friends since college, some are even from high school ( a LONG time ago!) and this is the first time I have seen them so excited about a cruise ship and to know so much about it almost 16 months before the maiden voyage. Whoever is in charge of the social media advertising is really hitting it out of the ballpark in terms of generating buzz and excitement.

Stay tuned.........

PS - not one mention of a tattoo parlour

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

As I mentioned previously, although Virgin is not specifying any age category, this appears to me to be marketed to the younger crowd looking for a unique holiday experience. The fact that the length of the cruise is short and is in the Caribbean (short travel distances) speaks to the fact that they are gearing the trips to those individuals still working looking to get away. While many people who travel Regent are retired and can travel for longer periods of time, those of us still working are not so lucky. Friends who I travel with are not allowed to take off more than one week at a time (which is not unusual) which greatly limits our options so I can see the market that Virgin is going after, however I don't think this type of cruise would be my cup of tea. In my younger years maybe I would have considered this, but back then I was too busy paying off student loans to even consider such a luxury.

A lot of people have said they’re marketing to younger but Branson has always said anyone is welcome as long as they are young at heart....and I love this statement.  My mom is very much a senior, but very young at heart and enjoys new experiences and has a real joie de vivre.   I know she would love this ship as well.  She loved the Edge when we went on it too.  I belong to a facebook group for those of us on the inaugural...and from thepics of the people that have booked so far....I’m one of the youngest (51)...so, I think folks will be surprised..... Ithink there will be a good mix of young and old and I think that’s awesome!

On 2/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, ronrick1943 said:

Thanks so much!! Appreciate it!

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

As a reminder, I started this thread to share information about a new ship that was so mysterious that one could not tell if it were a luxury cruise ship or not.  As articles have slowly emerged about the ship, I (and others) have updated the thread.  The "unique" cabins/suites, dining venues, tattoo parlor, drinking games in the Korean restaurant are all part of the Scarlet Lady experience.

Yes - people have made good natured jokes about the ship but no one was being disrespectful.  This has always been meant as a light hearted thread.  Tarwood "gets it"...... we are talking about essentially nothing but it has been fun discussing it.  

Thanks TC...this has been a fun thread!! Speculating is half the fun!

The latest (from CC's website for Virgin Cruises....

Scarlet Lady

The Scarlet Lady touched the water for the first time for Virgin Voyages on Friday at Fincantieri. The first ship from the new cruise brand starts revenue service from the Port of Miami in April 2020.

Tom McAlpin, president and CEO, Virgin Voyages, was on hand for the ceremony along with Luigi Matarazzo, director of the Merchant Ships Division at Fincantieri and Paolo Capobianco, director of the plant at the shipyard.

Giuliana Rindone, an employee of the Sestri shipyard, was the godmother for the float out ceremony, cutting the ribbon that triggered a champagne bottle to crash against the hull of the ship at Finacntieri’s Sestri facility.

Scarlet Lady

With the ship now in the water and steel work on the hull complete, attention will turn to interior outfitting on the 110,000-ton, 2,770-guest ship.

With the Scarlet Lady nearing completion, Fincantieri and Virgin also celebration the coin ceremony for Virgin’s second ship, which is scheduled to be delivered in the second quarter of 2021.

Since we have learned that this is NOT a luxury ship, we can probably end this with a link to the Virgin Voyages board on CC.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/826-virgin-voyages/

Edited by Travelcat2

23 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

A lot of people have said they’re marketing to younger but Branson has always said anyone is welcome as long as they are young at heart....and I love this statement.  My mom is very much a senior, but very young at heart and enjoys new experiences and has a real joie de vivre.   I know she would love this ship as well.  She loved the Edge when we went on it too.  I belong to a facebook group for those of us on the inaugural...and from thepics of the people that have booked so far....I’m one of the youngest (51)...so, I think folks will be surprised..... Ithink there will be a good mix of young and old and I think that’s awesome!

You are in the age demographics of my friends - the buzz seems to be on both sides of the pond because I mentioned the possibility of an upcoming cruise to my cousin in the UK. For the record, he is not a big fan of cruises and even he showed interest because he has heard it will be quite different from the normal cruising experience. I would be curious to see what level of interest there is when the reservations open up to the general public.

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

Sir Branson has done a fabulous job so far with his investments and everything he has done with Virgin has been exceptional that we have experienced.

While this is your opinion/experience, it is not the opinion of some others.  I know people that absolutely will not fly on Virgin flights in Business Class.

Not according to financials results of Virgin Atlantic.  They are doing quite well.  Have you ever flown Virgin?  They are a great airline and beats BA all the time.  Richard Branson knows how to produce a class act product.  Heck he could buy Regent if he wanted to and his employees are great and the lounges top notch.

i suspect you have never flown with them.  BTW, what cruise line are you going on that you never mentioned.  No need to tell us when or where just the line.

Read this.

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/10-reasons-why-richard-branson-successful.html

Edited by MalbecWine

To repeat, go to the Virgin Cruise Critic board for further posts.  If you want to post here - no one can stop you but, as you will see on the Virgin board, the majority of people interested in this ship are from mainstream cruise Iines  followed by premium cruise passengers.  Pricing is more or less in line with premium cruises.