Will the Scarlet Lady be competition to Regent?

Travelcat2

Well. I would certainly await on board cruise reviews before any commitment on cruising this ship. I don’t believe everything I read on the net, but I do believe actual cruiser;s reviews.  With Regent’s shrinkage of “ basic suites” (Mariner, Explorer, Ssplendour) we are certainly in search of alternatives. But, so far, it doesn’t seem Virgin is one.

TC2, No mam, With Regent, all I think we can afford or can realize for a cruise on Regent is an entry level suite. And we are multi-millionaires. On Celebrity, we will only book a Royal suite. We have never cruised Crystal for the very reason you mention. Their suites are too small.  We didn't get where we are by buying things that aren't worth it.   We will not cruise MSC except for in a Yacht Club Balcony suite with 306 sq. ft.(inside) . Were we to book a high level suite on Regent, the cost would be close to that of a new Mercedes, and forgive us if we would rather have the new Mercedes. 

• Like 1

dolebludger - sorry if it sounded as if I was implying that you cannot afford upper suites - I would never assume that.  It sounds as if you do entry level suites on luxury cruise lines and large suites (like the Royal suite on Celebrity) when cruising non-luxury lines.  The amount of money one has is not an indicator of what type of suite one books.  Most of our friends book entry level suites and sail much more than we do.  We are happy to do two Regent cruises per year in a large suite and, at least last year and this year, will fill in with a lesser cost cruise - just for fun.  

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

It’s nobody’s business what suite you are sailing in and nobody needs to say anything.  JMHO

I hesitate to comment on anything people have said on this increasingly toxic thread, but on many of the mass-market lines, the suite one is in determines a lot about what is and is not available on the ship. That is one reason why I avoid those lines.

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

It’s nobody’s business what suite you are sailing in and nobody needs to say anything.  JMHO

Agree.  However, Dolebludger has shared this information and appears to be looking for a luxury cruise line with larger suites or a premium cruise line (like Celebrity) where he an have a very large suite for a price that is similar to what Regent used to be.

David, this started out as a fun thread (which it was meant to be).  Not sure what happened.

Edited by Travelcat2

On 1/24/2019 at 5:31 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure how new yachts with less than 300 passengers can compete with Regent, Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal any more than Scenic Yachts can.  Actually, from what I've read (and there is plenty out there about the Ritz Carlton yachts), it will be beautiful but Scenic offers more.  Somehow, having a loyalty program tied into Marriott and Starwood (not finalized) makes me question who their passengers will be.

In my opinion, there will be a whole new luxury category of small yachts and they will be gorgeous.  It will be interesting to see how such small ships can be profitable.  After all, Seabourn had three small ships - ended up selling them and building larger ship.

Time will tell for the new entrants into the cruising world next year.

Agreed...there are soooo many expedition ships coming out in the next few years, it will be interesting to see how that sector of the industry plays out.  We have done a Silversea expedition trip and it was wonderful. ...but with so many new ships coming out, where are all the “experts”” going to come from? Silversea must have had 8 different experts, such PhDs etc...that lead the tours....I’m assuming there will be a lot of poaching from existing ships.  I worry that the quality of the tours and info provided could go down if the standard for experts lowers due to lack of availability.  I also wonder if prices will come down a bit.  Right now, expedition cruises are very expensive ...with the market being flooded soon....will there be increased interest....which unfortunately then means that there will be a lot more people in some of these wonderfully undiscovered remote places.  I read an article that even the shipyards are having trouble building these new ships because they just dont have the experience or talent pool for these new type of ships....look at the Croatian shipyard that is building the Scenic Eclipse....that ship has been delayed by nearly a year at this point.  

Regarding the Ritz ship...wonder if that will just be a magnet for all their frequent hotel guests...also probably a lot of charters perhaps...   Interesting times ahead. 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:50 AM, Tarwood3 said:

Agreed...there are soooo many expedition ships coming out in the next few years, it will be interesting to see how that sector of the industry plays out.  We have done a Silversea expedition trip and it was wonderful. ...but with so many new ships coming out, where are all the “experts”” going to come from? Silversea must have had 8 different experts, such PhDs etc...that lead the tours....I’m assuming there will be a lot of poaching from existing ships.  I worry that the quality of the tours and info provided could go down if the standard for experts lowers due to lack of availability.  I also wonder if prices will come down a bit.  Right now, expedition cruises are very expensive ...with the market being flooded soon....will there be increased interest....which unfortunately then means that there will be a lot more people in some of these wonderfully undiscovered remote places.  I read an article that even the shipyards are having trouble building these new ships because they just dont have the experience or talent pool for these new type of ships....look at the Croatian shipyard that is building the Scenic Eclipse....that ship has been delayed by nearly a year at this point.  

Regarding the Ritz ship...wonder if that will just be a magnet for all their frequent hotel guests...also probably a lot of charters perhaps...   Interesting times ahead. 

I didn't realize that the Scenic Eclipse was delayed.  We kept getting brochures (she will be a gorgeous ship) so I assumed that she was completed.  Just went to their website and the new expected launch date is May 2020.

It is possible that the Ritz ship will be a magnet for frequent hotel guests - particularly if their loyalty points can be applied to the fare.

Thanks for the insight.

40 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is possible that the Ritz ship will be a magnet for frequent hotel guests - particularly if their loyalty points can be applied to the fare.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to sail on one of the Ritz ships - they're not even built yet and I keep thinking that the entire time I was on board I'd be thinking "This chair sitting in my cabin is more comfortable than the chair that was sitting in my Regent cabin.  This drink sitting on my table is better than the drink I had on Regent.  This dinner sitting in front of me in the dining room is better than the dinner they served on Regent.  I guess everything really IS better when it sits on a Ritz."        :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I don't know if I'll ever be able to sail on one of the Ritz ships - they're not even built yet and I keep thinking that the entire time I was on board I'd be thinking "This chair sitting in my cabin is more comfortable than the chair that was sitting in my Regent cabin.  This drink sitting on my table is better than the drink I had on Regent.  This dinner sitting in front of me in the dining room is better than the dinner they served on Regent.  I guess everything really IS better when it sits on a Ritz."        :classic_laugh:

Still laughing about your last sentence!

Bill, you are at the younger end of Regent passengers and will likely have many, many more options for cruising than we currently have (although they may be bumper to bumper in the seas by the time you are older:-). 

Anyway, nothing is more comfortable than the recliner that I relax in every afternoon with my kitties and a good book.  And, I do make better drinks than on Regent.  However, my recliner and good drink will not get me to a new city/country every day.  When I look out of the sliding glass door after my rest, I'm in the same bloody place:classic_biggrin:

Hope that you try all of the new ships so that I can read about it in the comfort of my recliner.🤘

Obviously there is an interest in not only the Scarlet Lady but also Ritz Carlson Yachts and Scenic Yachts.  These ships/boats are a part of the future of cruising.  I’ve stayed with this thread because I am learning something new every day.  

• Thanks 1

I believe that most people reading and responding to this thread are looking at this through tunnel vision and not out of the box marketing that Branson is well known for. This type of cruise was never meant to be or marketed to current Regent passengers, but for mostly younger people those looking for a different type of luxury experience. There are many people a generation younger than me (boy, that is hard to say), with the money looking to get away from it all and this fits the bill - the kids get to spend time with the grandparents (or camp) and the parents get to go on a real vacation away from everything - a win-win all around. While this type of cruise does not appeal to me whatsoever, I know a lot of people who are very interested. In fact, I read somewhere that a few weeks ago there was a sales presentation to invited guests only and the response was extremely positive. For people in their 30's/40's, a Regent cruise may not be the best choice and this provides another option.

This is not Branson's first time to the rodeo - I am sure he did his homework before investing and starting this venture.

gnomie

• Like 2

In an interview I read sometime ago, Branson said they arent marketing to an age group.  He said as long as folks are “young at heart” everyone is welcome.  We are 46 and 51 and primarily sail luxury with some Celebrity thrown in for variety.  We have met a lot of people a generation older than us that are defintley young at heart and we certainly hit it off with.  So I think my takeaway is, if youre the type of person that just wants to find a quiet corner of a ship and read a book, Virgin wouldn’t be for you.  The cruises will be either 4 or 5 days...so that naturally will attract a younger crowd.  I also just read an interview the other day that said they plan on being somewhere between a premium and luxury line.  Theyr’e not trying to copy anyone else, but carving out a new niche for themselves.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

In an interview I read sometime ago, Branson said they arent marketing to an age group.  He said as long as folks are “young at heart” everyone is welcome.  We are 46 and 51 and primarily sail luxury with some Celebrity thrown in for variety.  We have met a lot of people a generation older than us that are defintley young at heart and we certainly hit it off with.  So I think my takeaway is, if youre the type of person that just wants to find a quiet corner of a ship and read a book, Virgin wouldn’t be for you.  The cruises will be either 4 or 5 days...so that naturally will attract a younger crowd.  I also just read an interview the other day that said they plan on being somewhere between a premium and luxury line.  Theyr’e not trying to copy anyone else, but carving out a new niche for themselves.  

Agree with you and appreciate learning that cruises will be either 4 or 5 days and also that the ships will be premium plus or luxury lite - that is much more factual information that I knew previously.  That puts them in the same category as Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean.  I definitely see the luxury part of these ships - even if the decor is not to my taste.  

To me, the most enticing part of the cruise line is that there will not be children on board.  While that is not enough for us to sail on the Scarlet Lady, it may appeal to the segment of the population that want to take a vacation away from the kids for a few days.  

We have also tried Celebrity and had fun.  While there was no comparison to a luxury cruise line, I'm glad that we did it and could do it again - on a newer ship in a top suite.  

30 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with you and appreciate learning that cruises will be either 4 or 5 days and also that the ships will be premium plus or luxury lite - that is much more factual information that I knew previously.  That puts them in the same category as Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean.  I definitely see the luxury part of these ships - even if the decor is not to my taste.  

To me, the most enticing part of the cruise line is that there will not be children on board.  While that is not enough for us to sail on the Scarlet Lady, it may appeal to the segment of the population that want to take a vacation away from the kids for a few days.  

We have also tried Celebrity and had fun.  While there was no comparison to a luxury cruise line, I'm glad that we did it and could do it again - on a newer ship in a top suite.  

Agree wholeheartedly on the children thing!! 

I found the most recent article I was referencing...

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/322570/big-interview-virgin-voyages-chief-executive-tom-mcalpin-and-vice-president-of-sales-stacy-shaw

More information on the Scarlet Lady.  It seems that Virgin is giving details out very slowly.  In this article, it speaks to inclusiveness.  It doesn't mention alcohol but if they include that, it would be more inclusive than other luxury-lite/premium plus cruise lines (Viking Ocean, Azamara and Oceania)..  https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20341-virgin-voyages-to-include-wifi-selling-cruises-by-cabin-price.html

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

More information on the Scarlet Lady.  It seems that Virgin is giving details out very slowly.  In this article, it speaks to inclusiveness.  It doesn't mention alcohol but if they include that, it would be more inclusive than other luxury-lite/premium plus cruise lines (Viking Ocean, Azamara and Oceania)..  https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20341-virgin-voyages-to-include-wifi-selling-cruises-by-cabin-price.html

Considering the apparent target market, I can see included alcohol being a bit of a problem.

Bill, 

I too see  included beverages  as something Virgin will not have. I foresee $5 cokes, $5 bottled water, and $10 beer, as on lines like NCL, along with prohibitions on "bringing your own". Many cruise ships create little monopolies this way, 

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am.

The only reason I question whether alcohol will be all-inclusive is because of their advertised drinking contest in one of the restaurants.  If it I not all-inclusive, the cost to participate in the drinking contest would like be high.  OTOH, most cruise lines now (mainstream through premium-plus), offer an alcohol package (not all alcohol packages are the same - some have low level alcohol brands vs. top brands on Regent and Oceania).  My guess is that they will include alcohol or at least have an option to purchase an alcohol package.  I can't see Branson having the level of alcohol choices of non-luxury brands.  Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

The only reason I question whether alcohol will be all-inclusive is because of their advertised drinking contest in one of the restaurants.  If it I not all-inclusive, the cost to participate in the drinking contest would like be high.  OTOH, most cruise lines now (mainstream through premium-plus), offer an alcohol package (not all alcohol packages are the same - some have low level alcohol brands vs. top brands on Regent and Oceania).  My guess is that they will include alcohol or at least have an option to purchase an alcohol package.  I can't see Branson having the level of alcohol choices of non-luxury brands.  Time will tell.

Well, booze package or no, doesn't make a whit of difference to me as I'll never be on board.  Not my style...my idea of a drinking contest is trying to determine the distillery and age of a specific single malt whiskey...

• Like 1

We won't sail on her either but must say the publicity is fascinating - leaving people wanting to know more.  Just read this bit below (I highlighted areas that I found of interest)

“When working with the Virgin Voyages team, we were inspired by some of the best dining spots around the world but also had to gaze into what the future of dining would look like to bring the most alluring restaurant concepts to sea,” said Executive Chef Brad Farmerie from AvroKO Hospitality Group.

Those dining options include the steak and seafood option Wake, located at the aft of the ship with a view of the ship’s wake, Italian trattoria Extra Virgin, shared-plate Mexican option Pink Agave, Korean barbecue Geonbaen as well as The Pizza Place.

Instead of a buffet area, there will be its surrogate known as The Galley, which will feature eight shops and food carts themed for the time of the day including a bakery, panini shop, burgers, tacos, sushi bar, noodle bar, soups, salads an a 24-hour American diner.

Also serving small plated Mediterranean fare and flame-grilled skewers will be The Dock, a beach club-themed lounge area on Deck 7.

Of note, food is made to order in an effort by the line to cut down on waste.

The ship’s nightclub will be called The Manor, which was the name of Branson’s first Virgin music studio. Those staying the suites will also have their own cocktail bar called Richard’s Rooftop.

For pampering and relaxation, the line has dubbed its efforts Vitamin Sea, and touts nine spaces including a secluded sundeck called the Crow’s Nest that will be home to sunrise and sunset yoga, a signature red running track called The Runway, the Athletic Club with outdoor training zone, boxing ring, strength and gymnastics equipment, gaming area, cabanas and sports bar.

TC2, 

While I insist that all of my cruises be “all beverage included” I don’t want to go on one where they have “drinking contests”. This does not sound good to me. I just don’t want to be “ripped off” as to the price of a beer, cocktail, soft drink, or even water just because the ship is at sea and has a beverage monopoly because they inspect our luggage, not for bombs and guns, but for beverages!  But I don’t want to cruise with a bunch of drunks either! I just don’t want to cruise on a ship where beverages (hard and soft) are like cigarettes in prison. (BTW, we do not smoke.) I know that most mass market and premium lines have “beverage packages”, but read the limits carefully. Might not include what you want. I also cannot tolerate lines and crowds, or the price lux lines now charge  to keep me away from such. And we cannot tolerate economy class air travel to get to a cruise. We have examples of first/business air fares doubling in the past year. And usually, seating is no better than economy was a couple of decades ago. 

For or all these reasons, I have told Ms Dolebludger that, unless things change, we have had our last cruise vacation. We have no money shortage, but we got that way by carefully considering the value of what we buy. 

I don’t think Virgin is going to have anything for us, and I don’t think any other line does either.  We liked MSC Yacht club, but there is a lack of itineraries we haven’t done to death, and the high cost of first/business air to get to any. We liked Celebrity senior suites a year ago, but not at this year’s prices.

i guess we are done.