Behavior warning email

RNmominLA

On 1/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, amyj23 said:

Ha!!! On our last cruise, every time I sat on our balcony I could smell the waft of pot. I was infuriated. I wondered how in the world you can't get on board with booze or extension cords, but marijuana? Somehow that gets through?? This has nothing to do with whether or not it's legalized. I don't want to smell cigarettes on my balcony either. I'm glad they're addressing it. But until they have drug dogs as you're boarding, it will easily continue to get on board...

We had drug dogs sniffing every where when we were in line to go thru customs upon boarding.  That is in NOLA anyway. 

The email lists items that are included in the Contract of Carriage, which is a legal document that every cruise passenger should read prior to sailing.   I'm with you other posters who embrace the idea of Carnival enforcing its rules to make the cruise safer and more pleasant for all of us. 

• Like 1

The email no doubt serves various purposes, but I was struck by the Personal Safety portion of both examples.  Movement has always been an issue on ships (duh, you're in water!), but it seems more passengers have gone after cruise lines for incidences in rough seas.  This email gives an added layer of protection in our litigious society.  Carnival, for example, can say, "This personal safety (ie. responsibility) section is on our web site, in our ticket contract, and now, in a personal email right before you sail.  Whether you actually read it or not, we gave you fair warning to NOT GET ON OUR SHIP IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE INHERENT ISSUES AND POSSIBLE RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF SAILING!"

Case dismissed.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, Mommawo said:

Wonder if they will start drug sniffing dogs and if cbd oil would alert them ? Lots of people use this instead of marijuana for medical reasons.  It’s the plant without the thc so is legal in the United States 

It is only legal in certain states.  The Federal Gov't is still open to question.

I saw on YouTube a video of savory characters on a Carnival ship(don’t remember which one) and they were hanging around the base of the funnel smoking pot and just getting high.  I was shocked they were not busted.  People did walk by them obviously not wanting to say anything. This type of weed smoking took it to a whole new level in that they were not only drunk but stoned out of their minds.  So people apparently still bring.  I think this e-mail is just a reminder to future cruisers of the rules obviously but mandating them is another being what I saw.  Google smoking areas on Carnival on YouTube and you’ll see the video.  You May have to search but it’s there.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, bethshebas said:

Last week getting off at Cozumel they had drug dogs, we had to put our bags on the ground for the dog to do his thing.

Sorry.  That wasn't a drug dog but a food dog.  Been there three times in the last few years and the last two have had the dogs.  The dog "alerted" on my bag and I about had a hemorrhage (see my user name to find out why!).  Then he asked if I had food in the bag.  No I took an apple out this morning.  He asked if I was sure and sent me to secondary screening.  There were piles of bags sitting there with food in them.  Cozumel is an island and they don't want stuff coming off the ships and bringing unknown pests.

A similar letter was emailed before a 4-day cruise out of Los Angeles which was during the Super Bowl a few years ago on the Imagination

A group of gals, who were in the cabin next to me, ended up by being taken off of the ship. 

They were up all night partying, laughing and carrying on throughout the night and morning, despite being told by crew members that they had to tone it down.

It was my first balcony (vs inside cabin) - never so loud

For me, I would rather someone smoked on their balcony than play loud music.  I might try to make a deal with them and say I wouldn’t rat them out for smoking if the use earbuds/headphones for their music.😀

Last Carnival Cruise we took there was a “booze cruisers” group we encountered a few times the first couple of days.  So loud and obnoxious at the pools and shows.  Either they got booted off at the first port or were warned as by the third day we didn’t see any trouble with them.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, jessbp said:

I find it so strange that marijuana is prohibited. I take several prescribed medications and took them onboard by last cruise. Nobody even looked twice at what they were, they could’ve been all sorts of hard drugs and people do take two of these medications I take as a ‘party drug’ (though at a much higher dose than I take) so it just baffles me that something (even with a prescription?) is not allowed. 

Not that i’m really complaining. I dislike the stuff and it smells foul so the further away from me, the better (and it’s very illegal in my country) I just think it’s odd. 

Why do you find it strange.  You are in violation of Federal law if you have it.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Those dogs that check bags getting off the ship in Cozumel are trained agricultural dogs. They’re not detecting drugs.

They are good at it too. Watched them sniff bannanas out of peoples bags left and right last cruise

16 hours ago, James4me said:

I saw on YouTube a video of savory characters on a Carnival ship(don’t remember which one) and they were hanging around the base of the funnel smoking pot and just getting high.  I was shocked they were not busted.  People did walk by them obviously not wanting to say anything. This type of weed smoking took it to a whole new level in that they were not only drunk but stoned out of their minds.  So people apparently still bring.  I think this e-mail is just a reminder to future cruisers of the rules obviously but mandating them is another being what I saw.  Google smoking areas on Carnival on YouTube and you’ll see the video.  You May have to search but it’s there.

In the not so distance past Cruise Directors would warn passengers when returning to the home port that if they had anything illegal they should go up on the funnel deck and get rid of it (smoke it ).  Then he would state that he would be up there shortly to help if needed. So they have known they're getting it onboard for years now.

That’s nice they sent this letter out, but I would like to see Carnival actually enforce these rules.  My last Carnival cruise, I endured 8 days of constant pot smoke, rude and drunken people blasting Bluetooth speakers on deck and on balconies (with sexual and violent lyrics), cigarette smoking at main pool while security looked on and did nothing, fights, etc.  You get the point.  I called security a few times about the pot smoke but they said they could do nothing.  Needless to say, that was my last Carnival cruise (sailed with them 22 times) and I have no plans to sail them again.  Here’s hoping they clean up their act and enforce the rules!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JinxyB said:

That’s nice they sent this letter out, but I would like to see Carnival actually enforce these rules.  My last Carnival cruise, I endured 8 days of constant pot smoke, rude and drunken people blasting Bluetooth speakers on deck and on balconies (with sexual and violent lyrics), cigarette smoking at main pool while security looked on and did nothing, fights, etc.  You get the point.  I called security a few times about the pot smoke but they said they could do nothing.  Needless to say, that was my last Carnival cruise (sailed with them 22 times) and I have no plans to sail them again.  Here’s hoping they clean up their act and enforce the rules!

That's a very good definition of Carnival , I cant say its the majority of cruisers that do this but I can say it's the type of client Carnival appeals to. Easy enough to move away from obnoxious music. But when you pay good money for a balcony you simply over paid for something you not going to use.

Me, I avoid areas each and every cruise. No bother booking a balcony .

A couple weeks ago on the Imagination out of CA, we sat next to a senior woman smoking pot in the Serenity area.  Since it was coool out, the Serenity was fairly empty and she was a pleasant woman. 

Noe one bothered her about it as she was fairly discreet.

We went on a short cruise last October and the pot smoke was ridiculous on the Lido deck. There were lots of obviously drunk people on the cruise also. Staggering and talking incoherently even before the ship left the dock. This was the first cruise that I ever saw security walking around the Lido although they were not doing anything in terms of securing the deck. This was our first short cruise and I had heard about the problems before so I was not completely surprised by what I saw. 

8 hours ago, BoDidly said:

In the not so distance past Cruise Directors would warn passengers when returning to the home port that if they had anything illegal they should go up on the funnel deck and get rid of it (smoke it ).  Then he would state that he would be up there shortly to help if needed. So they have known they're getting it onboard for years now.

And here I always thought they were talking about Cuban cigars! In fact, I'm pretty sure they specifically mentioned cigars - which were legal to buy, but not legal to bring back into the US. Unless I horribly misunderstood and the cruise directors were, in fact, willing to lose their jobs over illegal activity on board. 😯

4 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

And here I always thought they were talking about Cuban cigars! In fact, I'm pretty sure they specifically mentioned cigars - which were legal to buy, but not legal to bring back into the US. Unless I horribly misunderstood and the cruise directors were, in fact, willing to lose their jobs over illegal activity on board. 😯

You may have thought that , not in the ports we were at.