I feel bad for crew members sometimes (first post)!

jbethel11

Hello everyone, I'm Jaden. I am new to the forum and have always wondered why I feel bad for crew members working aboard ships. Some of them look sad and tired, while others look extremely happy and exuberant! What are you're thoughts on this, and what should I do to combat this feeling?

• Like 1

We have often heard passengers say similar things about feeling bad for the crew.  Call me a contrarian because we do not have that feeling...at all.  Understand that the crew members on ships are not slaves!  In fact, many of the jobs are competitive and the crew must continue to perform well if they expect to get a future contract.  On cruise ships, most of the crew are on timed contracts (they vary between lines and jobs but 6-9 months is pretty common).   Nobody has forced these folks to work on ships and it is their choice.  Over the years (we have been cruising for more then forty years) we have made some decent friends among the crew including bar staff, a waiter, and several officers.   All of our friends love working on ships and certainly are not looking for anyone to feel sorry for them.  Other crew members quickly find that working on cruise ships is not for them and they generally move on to other jobs on land.

Instead of feeling bad for crew members, try to be friendly to them and do what you can to make their job easier.  We have too often heard passengers who are rude to crew members...and that does make me feel both sad and angry.  If you get the opportunity to chat with a crew member, try asking them about their family, how many contracts they have worked, etc.  You will find that many have fascinating stories and are often happy to chat with passengers (as long as it does not interfere with their job).  

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Hello everyone, I'm Jaden. I am new to the forum and have always wondered why I feel bad for crew members working aboard ships. Some of them look sad and tired, while others look extremely happy and exuberant! What are you're thoughts on this, and what should I do to combat this feeling?

Give cash to the sad ones.  It will definitely cheer them up.

• Haha 4

I don't feel sorry for crew.      I agree, nobody is making anybody stay.   Sometimes people just look sad and tired and there might not be a reason.   I like my job but I don't sit here at my desk smiling!

I don't like people being treated differently than I would expect to be treated myself though.   if I was offhand with a patient I would expect to be hauled over the coals - neither do I feel like I should act like a performing seal to make people know I am happy in my work.

One thing to remember Europeans (I am one until the end of March I think!) are a bit more reserved.   We don't wish you a nice day, or miss you already etc.    But that's probably a stereotype too?!

After reading this post, I took the opportunity to walk around our office complex.....The vast majority of fellow employees looked very sad and I received very few "good morning's".   Most simply went about their business.  Then I thought about my earlier days in the service while deployed overseas.  We were away from our families too and facing "strangers from a different part of the world.   We were at the same time sad and proud of what we were doing.

Putting this in perspective, I can understand the sadness at being away from family and friends.  In fact if they were not sad I am not sure they are the kind of people I would want around.  While we were sad while deployed, we did not let it impact our work, and i am sure the majority of crew do not either.   

I do feel for them for being away on long contracts and assignments, but not because i impose my own values, and assume they are underpaid.  People from many countries are lined up for these opportunities and jobs.   To them it is worth it.  

I try to appreciate them for not only what they do but how they do it.  

However, just like here in my own office, there are some people working her that should not be

• Like 1

It's a job.  It's a choice we all make to take/keep it or not.  That said, being nice, kind, friendly and compassionate goes a long way to making the lives of our colleagues, customers, loved ones, etc nicer - so why not? :-)

One other thought....and yes I am throwing wood on the fire to spark discussion: Maybe it would raise crew member morale, increase their happiness, ease the discomfort of their low-paying job if they were given a 10% discount or a free appetizer/dessert by land-based companies in recognition of their service?  :classic_biggrin:

13 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Maybe go to work and see that not only crew members are sad and tired its happens on any work place. 

Yes these crew members have chosen to be away from their families to make a living. Fortunately in America, most people do not have to live away from their family to support them. Yes it does occur. Some of these crew members really don't have viable options where their from. So, we always enjoy talking to our servers and getting to know them. Everyone has a bad day at work no matter where you're from. And human kindness goes a long way, it is in our dna to respond to a kind, meaningful word. I have noticed with the cruise industry pushing and promotions with the free drinks included over the past few years. When that is the case, notice there is no tip added to your drink. We always keep cash with us and tip. Several times the bartender might be business as usual without a glowing smile or conversation when they first see it is a free deal, but when we tip, WOW, the smile and attention we get afterward. Just a thought, but in the free drinks included, they are working just the same or harder than normal, but fewer tips. I could be wrong and the cruise industry somehow compensates them accordingly, but I doubt it.

4 hours ago, gobama#1 said:

I have noticed with the cruise industry pushing and promotions with the free drinks included over the past few years. When that is the case, notice there is no tip added to your drink.  

The gratuities are paid in advance.  If you get a free drink package, you still have to pay the gratuities.

I have only met a handful of miserable crew members.  Most I have met enjoy the adventure of travel and meeting people as much as passengers.  Of course the work is tiring and the hours long but I think they know they are appreciated.  There are always miserable people -  passenger and crew. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I have only met a handful of miserable crew members.  Most I have met enjoy the adventure of travel and meeting people as much as passengers.  Of course the work is tiring and the hours long but I think they know they are appreciated.  There are always miserable people -  passenger and crew. 

Most "miserable" crew members do not last for more then 1 or 2 contracts.  We have some crew friends who have been working on ships for several decades.  The hours are long, they work hard, and they love the job.  I sure would not do it....but some of these folks love the life style (and compensation).  Keep in mind that even the Officers spend nearly half their life on ships..away from their family.  

Hank