Bermuda

STREETKING

I’ve sailed on Celebritiy’s Summit from New York City and was very happy.  It’s a smaller ship, not new, but due for a major redo very soon. Even though it has age, she has aged well. It was well-maintained.  I did travel in aqua class, however, and had access to the restaurant called Blu.  It was wonderful.  It might be worth looking into but you may prefer a larger ship with more activities. A lot will depend on your preferences

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I wish they'd sail there again.  I'd prefer to sail with Princess but since they aren't doing the typical week there, we had to jump ship.  We had a fantastic cruise on the Summit to Bermuda and would do it again. 

When did you go and what was the weather like?

Since ships are so big now , those ships are limited to but one Bermuda port .

The Cruise lines that regularly schedule a full season of cruising there , have priority .

Sure miss when cruise ships were sized right to dock at all 3 Bermuda ports 😕.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, STREETKING said:

When did you go and what was the weather like?

We went May 15th.  It was gorgeous one day, poured rain like crazy the other day and cloudy the third day.  I think next time, I would go in late May, hopefully before the majority of school-aged kids are out for summer.  The NCL ship was really full of kids.  The Summit isn't quite as full of kids even in the summer months and it's being completely re-built/renovated from top to bottom this year so it'll feel like a new ship. 

3 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

We went May 15th.  It was gorgeous one day, poured rain like crazy the other day and cloudy the third day.  I think next time, I would go in late May, hopefully before the majority of school-aged kids are out for summer.  The NCL ship was really full of kids.  The Summit isn't quite as full of kids even in the summer months and it's being completely re-built/renovated from top to bottom this year so it'll feel like a new ship. 

Our waiter in one of the specialty restaurants told us of all the changes.  I can't even remember them now but it sounded fabulous. Would definitely like to do it again this summer.  No air for me.  Keeping an eye on the summer prices.  Last couple of weeks in August are the best value over the summer and the weather was good.   Children were not an issue.  Would love to sail aqua class again so, I might have to wait for that last minute special.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lolane1 said:

Our waiter in one of the specialty restaurants told us of all the changes.  I can't even remember them now but it sounded fabulous. Would definitely like to do it again this summer.  No air for me.  Keeping an eye on the summer prices.  Last couple of weeks in August are the best value over the summer and the weather was good.   Children were not an issue.  Would love to sail aqua class again so, I might have to wait for that last minute special.  

I had heard that the weather can get quite rainy, hot and humid at the end of August so that's good to know.

Yes.  You are right.   it WAS hot and humid.  I forgot because that typically doesn't bother me.  Thanks. I've been to Bermuda so many times, usually shopping right there on the dock yard only.

Edited by lolane1
addition
  • Like 1

We sailed to Bermuda on RCCL several years ago during the third week in May.  We docked at Bermuda for two days and the weather was rainy with gale force winds both days.  Most of the excursions were cancelled and the palm trees were blowing sideways.  I almost expected to see the classic scene of a Weather Channel reporter giving a report.  The at sea days from NY and back were also not pleasant.  I realize that what we experienced was not the norm, but it dampened our enthusiasm for Bermuda.  We’ve never really had the urge to go back and would not be interested if Princess resumed sailing to Bermuda.

Dock space is correct. The entrance to King’s Wharf is narrow and tricky with limited dock space. 

King’s Wharf itself is a distance from Hamilton and anything interesting. There’s nothing to do there other than shop in a few stores and it’ll cost money and time to get to the beaches, shopping, caves, etc. Personally, I’d book a HAL cruise that docks right in downtown Hamilton. 

Unfortunately, HAL is pulling away from Bermuda as well. They only had a couple of ships that could dock in Hamilton. One is being sold, so the other is heading to Europe, as it is still allowed to cruise in/out of Venice (due to its size).

Unfortunately, its a no win with Bermuda. 

I just found that also. I did as Pam suggested and checked out HAL's website and was disappointed that they no longer have sailings there. I also did a search for ships that docked a Hamilton and came up empty. The last time I was there it was on a HAL's Noordam, I believe. Hamilton was a great port to dock at but we were there for only the day. I've always wanted to go back and spend more time there.

We stopped at Bermuda on our EB TA on the Caribbean Princess in spring 2016.  Docked at King's Wharf--on the outside, so no apparent problem pulling alongside the dock.  There is a small inner harbor there as well for private boats.  I chose to explore the old fort and the National Museum of Bermuda that is nearby.  Also walked a bit further and came across an abandoned prison.  Great views and interesting birds in the sky.  Finally, a bit further on is a lovely beach and snorkel park (didn't try it out).  KW is at the tip of a long skinny arm of land that curves around so that it's only 2 miles or less by water to reach the main part of the island.  Pretty sure there were water taxis to get folks over there.

• Like 1

I'm sure it would be great. The reason I wanted to cruise there was for the value you receive on a cruise. I did a rough estimate for a land package and compared Celebrity's prices for an Oceanview cabin which included a drink package and $150 ea. OBC plus airfare and compared it to a land-based stay at the Pompano which only included your meals and the price difference was over $2000.That's just too much of a cost difference for me to consider.

• Like 1

Check out Grotto Bay Beach Resort. They have an all-inclusive package hat includes drinks. They are located near the causeway that connects to the airport and have a bus stop right in front of the hotel.  If you are familiar with Bermuda, they are right next to the original Swizzle Inn.

Actually, there's quite a lot to do right at King's Wharf.  There's a nice beach area, a museum, shops, glass blowers, demonstrations (military and cigar making besides others) and it's a great place for walking around or taking the cute little train all over.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day staying right at the port. 

Getting to Hamilton was a breeze too.  We bought our ferry passes in advance, got on the first ferry we waited for and took a very short 10 min. taxi ride to Elbow Beach Resort.  It was probably the best resort day pass day we've ever done. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Actually, there's quite a lot to do right at King's Wharf.  There's a nice beach area, a museum, shops, glass blowers, demonstrations (military and cigar making besides others) and it's a great place for walking around or taking the cute little train all over.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day staying right at the port. 

Getting to Hamilton was a breeze too.  We bought our ferry passes in advance, got on the first ferry we waited for and took a very short 10 min. taxi ride to Elbow Beach Resort.  It was probably the best resort day pass day we've ever done. 

We are booked on the Anthem in June and will be calling on Bermuda. How did you buy your ferry pass in advance? We have been to Bermuda 3 times. Twice on the Caribbean Princess and once on the Summit. They were all reposition cruises sailing to NY from San Juan. We enjoyed the Summit more because it was a smaller ship and we had 2 days in Bermuda which is our favorite port.  

• Like 1

I actually prefer docking at Kings Wharf than Hamilton.  I do like the shopping better.  You can book many excursions and get lots of information at the Visitors center.  The ferry pass is also a bus pass.  Last year, I took the ferry all the way over to St Georges, which was about a 45 minute ride, I think.  Then the bus back to Hamilton because there is no ferry from St Georges to Hamilton, then the ferry back to the Dockyard.  It was a full day outing.  

On the morning ferry ride to St. Georges, there was a local who announced she would be giving tours in St. Georges.  She was fantastic and it only cost 10 dollars - way more than worth it.  

In previous years, I have taken the ferry to Hamilton, then the bus back towards the Dockyard with a stop at Elbow beach.  The bus ride from Hamilton to the Dockyard is pretty BUT it is long.  If you are in a rush, the ferry is the way to go. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Celebrity sales to Bermuda and we, personally, much prefer Celebrity over Princess - better food, better service, fewer sales pitches and cleaner ships.  And, unlike Carnival Corp that owns Princess, RCL Corp., that owns Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, doesn't do remodeling during cruises but puts their ships in dry dock to do this type work.  While we were on a 2-week Holland America cruise sailing around New Zeeland and Australia, HAL had workers replacing all the wall covering in the corridors. For several days we had to climb over workmen, tools etc. to get in/out of our balcony stateroom.  I asked the HAL new booking agent on our sailing who sat with us at dinner one evening about this and she said it was standard for HAL.  The Celebrity Summit is scheduled for dry doc in Feb/March 2019 for a major interior update and she will be sailing to Bermuda this June.