Purchasing bottle of rum onboard for stateroom

Safety Squirrel

I am posting this for a neighbour who is going on the Horizon on February 9th.  If they purchase a bottle of rum on the ship, can they take it to their stateroom for drinks or is it only delivered the night before debarkation?  If it is not possible to purchase on board and take to their stateroom, would they have to pre-order to have it in their stateroom?  They are not interested in purchasing the beverage package.  They are taking a case of soda on board and one bottle of wine.  Thank you very much for any comments.  (Carnival was my first cruise in 2005; however, travel mainly Celebrity and in September will be back on Princess for the second time - so not sure of Carnival's rules regarding liquor purchase.)

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

I recently researched about buying a bottle for the room for my In-laws. If you buy a bottle through the Fun Shops, it will be a liter bottle for most of the liquors and a liter equals approximately 22.5 jiggers or shots. So, going by the most recent bar menu prices I've seen, if you bought 22 shots of Bacardi with or without a mixer from the bar, with 18% gratuity it would cost you 168.74. Like moondog said, the bottle from the fun shops will cost you about $105 + whatever you spend on mixers, you could save around $50-60.

We have a bottle of scotch being delivered. Did it last cruise to. Bar bill for 2 of us on 5 day cruise was under 200 including the bottle delivered. Still get s beer and a drink of the day or some mornings a bloody mary

Have ordered beer for the cabin and smuggled rum onboard.  Did not really appreciate either as there was too much going on aboard the ship to sit on the balcony and drink it.  Had good intentions but did not work out.

Thank you for your input.  I knew CC members would have the information that I could pass on to my neighbour.  She and her husband appreciated the comments and will now decide if it is worth purchasing a bottle of rum through Carnival or just pay for drinks as they go.

2 hours ago, MSPCUBS said:

So, liquor doesn't have to be pre-ordered.  It can be ordered from room service.  Can you still get it on the first day once room service is available?

Yes, RS is available but not until late in the day...usually after sailing.   Pre-ordering usually has the bottle on the desk upon boarding.   (not always:classic_wink:)