Are the beds hard

mnkauf

On 1/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, pcur said:

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

d9154aa0-7eca-424a-9824-e90d4f10aed6_1.5af0a08c46957c4c64a0d63bc6fc5c21.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

What size would you suggest for a Royal Cruise?  I assume a king size as the bed is basically 2 twins pushed together.  

3 hours ago, cruisekap said:

What size would you suggest for a Royal Cruise?  I assume a king size as the bed is basically 2 twins pushed together.  

We got off the Jewel this morning. Slept with queen pad shown in the picture for 41 nights! Heaven!  Put it across lengthwise, and the pillow goes where the pad ends at the top.  Squished in the suitcase worked fine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisekap said:

Royal Caribbean's beds when pushed together are 72.5” wide by 82” long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pcur said:

We got off the Jewel this morning. Slept with queen pad shown in the picture for 41 nights! Heaven!  Put it across lengthwise, and the pillow goes where the pad ends at the top.  Squished in the suitcase worked fine.

Was that a few B2B cruises? I didn't think RC had itineraries that long?

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, pcur said:

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

d9154aa0-7eca-424a-9824-e90d4f10aed6_1.5af0a08c46957c4c64a0d63bc6fc5c21.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

We've been sleeping on this mattress pad for 41 nights on the Jewel, and now 28 nights on the Adventure.  We are sooooooo comfy, and very glad we brought it.  Worth the extra suitcase.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:50 AM, Host Clarea said:

Royal Caribbean's beds when pushed together are 72.5” wide by 82” long.

What's the length on the outside edge?  Must be at least 6" shorter.

So glad to see this thread and appreciate all who posted.  I'd hate to be spending all this money (large ocean view balcony and ocean balcony cabin on Harmony seven night cruise) and not sleep well.  I like cushy beds, and I hate to say it, but the older I get the pickier I am about beds.  I like a soft bed, etc.  For hotels, I seem to like the Hilton brand beds the best (I know everyone is different, but those seem to work well for me.)  Also, good to hear that the beds are not the same as Carnival.  That is the cruise line I have done the most often (just a couple of cruises) and I was ok with the beds there (except for the couch - we had three to a room on the last Carnival Cruise that we did and DS didn't like the couch at all, didn't sleep well).  I switched back and forth with him every other night and have to say that I totally agreed with him -- really hard, while the regular bed was much better).  I also did the NCL Escape (only cruise other than Carnival I have done).  I found the bed harder than I liked, but didn't have any major problems.   So if I am getting this right, it sounds like RCCL (first RCCL cruise ever for me), in general has harder beds than perhaps both Carnival and NCL?? 

To be safe rather than sorry, I think for our party of four I will bring something.  I'm tempted by the recommendation of the Klymit Static V pad (looks amazing and would be so nice to have it take less space).  The narrowness of the pad, though, (have had issues rolling off sleeping pads when I used to camp on the ground), is making me think I will probably go with the Walmart foam pad recommendations (will bring a big suitcase and fewer clothes I think and leave my laptop, etc. at home).  Almost thinking I should get four of the foam pads full twin for all four in our party.  

Edited by kathy884
  • Like 1

I just ordered a Lightspeed outdoors XL super plush self inflating pad from Amazon.

I am like the Princess and the Pea when it comes to bed comfort😜

Thanks all for the very important info!

Edited by Judyrem

7 hours ago, kathy884 said:

o be safe rather than sorry, I think for our party of four I will bring something.  I'm tempted by the recommendation of the Klymit Static V pad (looks amazing and would be so nice to have it take less space).  The narrowness of the pad, though, (have had issues rolling off sleeping pads when I used to camp on the ground), is making me think I will probably go with the Walmart foam pad recommendations (will bring a big suitcase and fewer clothes I think and leave my laptop, etc. at home).  Almost thinking I should get four of the foam pads full twin for all four in our party.  

I used the double wide Klymit (solo) and didn't roll off. I bought it at Costco. The room steward set it up for me.

A-

• Like 1

So a proper foam topper that would cover a "royal king" best  (72.5"W by 82"L) would be a California king which is about the same dimensions. However, that's a really big thing to pack even for a 2" topper. I'm wondering of the feasibility of using a full 54" by 74" and turning it sideways, leaving about 2' for pillows and 1' by the foot, it sounds like that was what "pcur " for their long cruise but with a queen size. 

I was thinking the same thing but remember that some of these multi zone mattress topper have zones for different parts of your body that will be off when rotated 90 degrees.

53 minutes ago, Garmy4 said:

I was thinking the same thing but remember that some of these multi zone mattress topper have zones for different parts of your body that will be off when rotated 90 degrees.

Yes, we have the queen 3” topper sideways.  The edges are off the sides of the bed in our cabin, and tucked under the ship’s topper.  All the surface we sleep on is the same “pattern” on the topper.  It goes from the very bottom edge, and is short about 8-10” on the top: a perfect fit for the pillow(s).  We have slept very well for over 2 months traveling.

I’ve got stuffing it into a suitcase down to about 90 seconds.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, musik07 said:

My parents are on a cruise right now. We got them the same one and used a space bag for it. They were able to put it right on top of thier clothes before they closed the suitcase! 

Going to Barcelona next year for a cruise and considering to buy a form topper there but never considered a space bag. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by BobbyOrr

1 hour ago, BobbyOrr said:

Going to Barcelona next year for a cruise and considering to buy a form topper there but never considered a space bag. :classic_biggrin:

It worked great and they threw it in-between the two sides of the hard side suitcase. They were in a rush to get off the next morning so they told the cabin steward to reuse it. This trip they are flying Southwest and flying it in its own bag, they are just going to jam it in and repack it when they get home! 

• Like 1

Loved hearing from everyone.  Ordered four 3 in twin toppers from Walmart for our cruise.  Appreciated the tip on the double wide Klymit (solo).  That looks amazing, but it was pricey if only used for a one time cruise (I don't camp anymore) and I was able to buy the four twins toppers for less than one of those.  I'm flying Southwest, so good bring an extra suitcase.  I am going to look into those space bags, though, as I so prefer being able to manage my own luggage.  I think if I pack light, bring a big suitcase, and get the space saver bags, I might be able to still just bring one bag.  We'll see.  Worst case scenario is that I will have an extra suitcase, which I'm hoping won't be the case.