Minor leaving ship with someone from another cabin

Willwork4cruises

We are cruising with my DD and her cousin (12 yrs). The cousin will be with us for most of the cruise including embarkation.  However in Belize she wants to do a special excursion with her dad who is also sailing.  Does anyone have experience with this situation? Would a birth certificate showing relationship work or will she be required to exit with us.  We are participating in a separate Carnival excursion.  I have emailed Carnival to get an answer in writing but they have not responded but while I wait I was curious if anyone else has experienced something similar. 

Thanks

Amanda 

Edited by Willwork4cruises
Sp

I don't think it matters, once you board put your birth certificate in the safe. Exiting the ship requires a S&S card and a S&S card and picture ID to get back through the port entrance. I have never seen anyone questioned leaving the ship. 

• Like 1

Coevan, 

On our last cruise, the minors were stopped from leaving the ship in one port. The agent made one of the adults in the room scan our card first.  We were right there in line behind them. That made me wonder if it might be an issue since she won’t be linked to the father’s card in any manner. I appreciate your quick response. 

Thank you 

Amanda 

• Like 1

This is old information, but FWIW:

When my daughters were 7 and 3 (circa 2009), they got off the ship in Pt Canaveral (Port of Call on our Carnival Pride cruise out of Baltimore) with my parents to go to the air museum while DH and I stayed onboard.  My parents have a different last name than do my children, and they (my parents) were booked in a separate cabin from us.  They had no problems going ashore or coming back onboard.

• Like 1

My children have been stopped when attempting to "ding" off the ship at port ahead of me. I wanted to see if this is a standing policy and found this at Carnival's FAQ page: 

Getting Off the Ship in Port

• Minor children 16 years of age and older may debark the ship in port without a parent or guardian. If the parent or guardian wishes to raise this age limit, they must contact the onboard Security department.
  • Minor children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older) within the same travel group in order to debark the ship in port.
  • Like 1

Last summer my 15 year old son was stopped until DH scanned his S&S card when we were getting off the ship. I was registered in a different cabin so it couldn’t be me even though our cabins were linked. I was told i could go to Guest Services and be added to be allowed to take him off but never did iot because we were always together. 

• Like 1

I have seen a minor stopped at the gangway and told he needed an adult with him when he said he was alone. He looked to be about 13-14 yrs old. 

My grandchildren were asked who was getting off with them when they had rushed ahead of us. They took my card and dinged it first. 

Go to guest services after you board if you do not have a definitive answer before then. 

Just got off the Glory and I had to have my S&S card scanned first and they wouldn't let my 12 year old daughter off ahead of me or by herself.  They stopped all children and required that they be with an adult.  I would say you could probably go to guest services when you board and get her dad added to her card for leaving the ship.

Have a great time!:classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Athankfulheart said:

My children have been stopped when attempting to "ding" off the ship at port ahead of me. I wanted to see if this is a standing policy and found this at Carnival's FAQ page: 

Getting Off the Ship in Port

• Minor children 16 years of age and older may debark the ship in port without a parent or guardian. If the parent or guardian wishes to raise this age limit, they must contact the onboard Security department.
  • Minor children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older) within the same travel group in order to debark the ship in port.

Maybe this is why my parents had no trouble taking my DDs off and back on the ship - although we were booked in separate cabins, our bookings were linked for dining at the same table.  That might be enough to be considered "the same travel group". Or maybe it was handled differently back then.  I realize my experience is so old as to be unhelpful.  So I'll shut up, now.:classic_blush:

I was just on the Fantasy in January. A mother and daughter were in front of me. The dad had apparently gotten separated and was ahead in the line. The dad breezed right off the ship with his S&S. The daughter was next. They scanned her card. On their screen it had about 4-5 pictures. The mom who was with her wasn't pictured but dad was.  I could clearly see the screen as they were trying to tell her why she couldn't leave the ship with the child. They held up the line while they had to run to grab dad from the pier. I would make sure with guest services that whomever should have "access" to child gets their S&S linked to hers. 

Edited by JennyB1977

We just got off the Dream on Sunday. We had our three girls (14,13, and 5) booked in a room with me and our son (11) booked in my husbands room. They stopped us every time getting off the ship at port and made sure the adult from the room was present to let the kids off the boat. We also witnessed security stopping two older teenage girls not be allowed off for an excursion because their adult wasn’t going off the boat. 

15 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The odds are pretty good no one will say anything or stop them.  There is no ship policy requiring children exit the ship at ports with only authorized adults,  They can actually leave on their own.  

In August   One the Liberty   we were a family of 6 in two cabins.   I had my honey go first and the two girls   who dinged their card and was asked for me to go before the two girls.  The two girls were booked in with me)    I dont know what would have happened if I was not there.    I do not think a minor can get off the ship without an adult getting off with them at the same time

When my daughter was 15 she was in line to get off in port and a few people got between us. When they scanned her card, they did stop her. She said my mom is back there and I waived. I could have been someone she had just met - they were not that particular. Then, she was 15 not a young child.

Have your booking and her dads booking linked together.  When they scan the S&S card while exiting the ship, all parties linked together pictures will show up.  If there are minors in the party (under 16) they do require an adult within their booking to exit the ship with them.  If the bookings are linked together, the dad will not have a problem exiting the ship with the minor.

34 minutes ago, GMRPHRN said:

When my daughter was 15 she was in line to get off in port and a few people got between us. When they scanned her card, they did stop her. She said my mom is back there and I waived. I could have been someone she had just met - they were not that particular. Then, she was 15 not a young child.

Your picture pops up on the hand held scanners (or the kiosks - whichever they are using) when they scan the S&S cards.  They most likely recognized you from your photo.