Winos on Board to Alaska!

HoneymoonCruiser5

Hi everyone! I’ve never sailed on Princess before and would like to know if we’re allowed to bring wine on board? We’re sailing to Alaska and are in a suite. Are we able to buy wine while at port and bring it back on the ship with us to drink? What would you all recommend? We don’t want to do the drink package because we’re not big drinkers, but would love a glass or 2 or 3 😂 at night before dinner.

You’re allowed to bring unlimited amounts of wine onboard. You just have to pay a corkage fees beyond the first two bottles. 

From what I understand is any wine you get in a Port gets held my the ship guys until disembarkation. 

There are wine packages onboard that will significantly reduce the financial aspects. Personally, I would go that route. 

A disclaimer though... I’m just relaying what I’ve read and interpreted. I’m new to the cruising world so my advice is questionable. 

Glenn

You can purchase wine onshore and bring it back aboard at any port.  Sometimes (most of the time?) there will be an alcohol table set up just beyond the scanners and they will inspect your bottle(s) of wine and charge the $15 corking fee but other times no table.  You still need the $15 corking fee sticker to take the bottle into the MDR.  Juneau particularly is a good port to buy wine but due to the shipping cost can be a little high priced.  Last AK cruise we had our DS and DIL with us who do not drink wine so we were able to bring 4 bottles aboard without the corking fee - we drink them in the afternoon on our balcony.   We have purchased wine in ports of call frequently and never had a problem bringing them back aboard the ship and up to our cabin.  

Edited by satxdiver

If your cruise is 10 days or longer, I would go with the wine package they sell onboard (not the same as the premium beverage package).  They really have some nice choices on the new wine list and will save you from having to carry the wine onboard at embarkation.  Plus, you  can never know if they will bring it on from one of the ports as they are consistently inconsistent.  

2 hours ago, Grburkart said:

You’re allowed to bring unlimited amounts of wine onboard. You just have to pay a corkage fees beyond the first two bottles. 

From what I understand is any wine you get in a Port gets held my the ship guys until disembarkation. 

There are wine packages onboard that will significantly reduce the financial aspects. Personally, I would go that route. 

A disclaimer though... I’m just relaying what I’ve read and interpreted. I’m new to the cruising world so my advice is questionable. 

Glenn

Sorry Glenn but lots of misinformation above.  

Yes you may bring multiple bottles on at embarkation and the first two per cabin are free of corkage.  But should you bring them to a dining venue you would then need to pay corkage, no fee to drink them in your room.

Wine purchased in port can be taken to your room as well.  It should be subject to corkage but they do not always have the table set up.  We have purchased wine in Alaskan ports and brought it aboard for personal use.

Wine packages are only available on cruises of longer than 10 days, so usually not an option in Alaska.  Also the wine selection is often limited and they are known to run out of certain popular vintages.

38 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Sorry Glenn but lots of misinformation above.  

Yes you may bring multiple bottles on at embarkation and the first two per cabin are free of corkage.  But should you bring them to a dining venue you would then need to pay corkage, no fee to drink them in your room.

Wine purchased in port can be taken to your room as well.  It should be subject to corkage but they do not always have the table set up.  We have purchased wine in Alaskan ports and brought it aboard for personal use.

Wine packages are only available on cruises of longer than 10 days, so usually not an option in Alaska.  Also the wine selection is often limited and they are known to run out of certain popular vintages.

Thank you for enlightening me to my misunderstanding. I stand corrected. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=40

Glenn

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

WINOS?

For your interest Potstech

cheers Don

Wino

Originating a century ago, in 1915, in the United States, the word “wino” comes from a popular form of slang at the time. The slang itself involved taking a word and adding an “o” at the end to define a person. While “wino” unflatteringly describes a habitual and excessive drinker of (often cheap) wine, other familiar words, like “bucko” and “kiddo,” were made in the same fashion.

Regardless of where it has been used, “wino” has had a universally negative connotation. From it’s first “official” 1915 definition in World Magazine (of New York) as, “Wino, a wine bum; known on the Pacific Coast, especially in California,” to a 1961 issue of The Guardian, which describes an event as, “A conglomeration of hop~heads, winos, overworked policemen,” to a 1967 article in Australia’s Sunday Truth, which states that a woman, “washes in public toilets, and if she feels like a drink she has a swig from a wino’s bottle at South Brisbane.”

Considering that, throughout the past hundred years, winos have been associated with the poor and impoverished situations, it’s worth noting that, as the global wine industry grows to $200 billion in annual sales and production remains relatively flat, people are willing to pay more for quality wines. So, perhaps the “wino” of yesteryear has become today’s “wine connoisseur,” or maybe there’s something to sticking with those resolutions.

I am only stating my experience, but I have been on multiple Princess cruises in Alaska.  I have never had a problem bringing beer or wine on board in a port.  In Ketchikan, the free downtown shuttle will drop you off at the Safeway mall where there’s a well-stocked liquor store.  In Juneau there’s a store down by the Triangle Bar, and one in Skagway across from the train depot.  I also buy beer from the Skagway Brewery to bring onboard.  I usually stock up on sparkling water and soda as well. It goes in my backpack and through the scanner.  I don’t take alcohol out of my room, but I do wander around with a bottle of sparkling water or take one to the gym.  

If you're on a 7 day cruise, I wouldn't hesitate to ask a waiter if wine packages are available. We were able to purchase a 7 bottle package on our Wine Country cruise on the Coral this past September. 

Edited by crawford

Enjoy good wine...all of the time.  Princess has a good to excellent selection, especially in their Vines bar.  I saw no need to bring wine aboard.  Anything you buy in Alaska will be very expensive, including wine.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Enjoy good wine...all of the time.  Princess has a good to excellent selection, especially in their Vines bar.  I saw no need to bring wine aboard.  Anything you buy in Alaska will be very expensive, including wine.  

Not true.  Wine at the Safeway liquor store in Ketchikan is not much more expensive than wine at your local store.  The same for beer and soda, cookies and potato chips.  A 20oz soda costs $1.89. Fruit is more expensive - bananas run 89 - 99 cents a pound.

We enjoy a great glass of wine in the afternoon on our balcony with some nibbles.  It is very convenient to have the bottle of wine in our  cabin refrigerator after having been able to select it from a well stocked wine purveyor prior to boarding.   We usually are able to consume one bottle each day between the two of us.  Wine remaining after our afternoon repast is consumed the following day while relaxing in our cabin.  The ship certainly offers good selections in wine particularly ships with a Vines wine bar but sometimes (ofter?) is almost too crowded to frequent before dinner.  For wine with dinner it is far easier to purchase their wine than carry one's own bottle into the MDR. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...