Recommendations for catamaran / snorkel / sting ray adventure

cuti

We will be in Grand Cayman this April on Celebrity Edge and we are looking for recommendations of a private or semi-private catamaran (it's my husband and me, plus two 17 year olds).  We are fine with another 4-6 people but do not want to be on a boat with 50+ people as we want a more relaxed experience.  We'd like to see the sting rays but also check out less touristy areas.  

Can anyone recommend what company they've used that is reliable and fun?  Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise and were in Grand Cayman last Wednesday.

Did my 5th excursion with Capt. Chip and Stingray Sailing.

Have had a GREAT time, each and every time.

Love how they do not manhandle the sting rays like some of the other operators do. Just let the sting rays come for as long as they wish.

Only a family of 4 and My Wife and I on board this trip, which was great. (as we watched over a hundred pile off the double decker boats from the cruise ship excursions)

I tried Native Ways my first trip to Grand Cayman and had a horrible time with their unorganized workers.

I cannot more highly recommend Sting Ray Sailing for a relaxing day and great interaction with a lot of sting rays.

http://www.stingraysailing.com/

Feel free to click to see the catamaran and the experience.

Bill

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 3

I have used Fat Fish Adventures twice and am using them again in a few weeks.  We usually get the jet ski tour but once, when the grandkids were too small, we chartered their boat.  I would highly recommend them which is why we are returning for a 3rd time!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we used Stingray Sailing back in May.  Great time with Capt. Chip.  I think we had about 9 people on our trip, so not crowded at all.  He has a catamaran, but no guarantee if you will actually sail, all depends on the wind.

Edited by bstel

• 3 months later...

I would not recommend the company that X uses for Stingray city and barrier reef snorkel.  I wish I could remember the name of the company.  The employees were not very personable and they did somewhat manhandle the stingrays.  

On 2/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, bguppies said:

Just got back from our cruise and were in Grand Cayman last Wednesday.

Did my 5th excursion with Capt. Chip and Stingray Sailing.

Have had a GREAT time, each and every time.

Love how they do not manhandle the sting rays like some of the other operators do. Just let the sting rays come for as long as they wish.

Only a family of 4 and My Wife and I on board this trip, which was great. (as we watched over a hundred pile off the double decker boats from the cruise ship excursions)

I tried Native Ways my first trip to Grand Cayman and had a horrible time with their unorganized workers.

I cannot more highly recommend Sting Ray Sailing for a relaxing day and great interaction with a lot of sting rays.

http://www.stingraysailing.com/

Feel free to click to see the catamaran and the experience.

Bill

On 5/9/2019 at 8:27 PM, #1TravelMom said:

Great choice with Stingray Sailing.  We've used them many times and going again in a few weeks!

On 6/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, bstel said:

we used Stingray Sailing back in May.  Great time with Capt. Chip.  I think we had about 9 people on our trip, so not crowded at all.  He has a catamaran, but no guarantee if you will actually sail, all depends on the wind.

Quick question, how do you get from Port to their catamaran?  Do they provide transport or do you need to grab a taxi?  Thank you!

Dan

Yes, they met you at the port under a white canopy.  They transport you by van directly to the marina.  On the return, you can get dropped at the beach for an hour or two and then catch a taxi back OR they will return you to the pier area. In my opinion, the price for this excursion is one of the best values of all of the the excursions we've done.  It just feels luxurious sailing on a catamaran.  When you see the boats packed with people at the stingray sandbar, you will be so thankful you chose Stingray Saling!

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 4:18 PM, #1TravelMom said:

Yes, they met you at the port under a white canopy.  They transport you by van directly to the marina.  On the return, you can get dropped at the beach for an hour or two and then catch a taxi back OR they will return you to the pier area. In my opinion, the price for this excursion is one of the best values of all of the the excursions we've done.  It just feels luxurious sailing on a catamaran.  When you see the boats packed with people at the stingray sandbar, you will be so thankful you chose Stingray Saling!

Thank you all for the suggestion!  We are now in the process of booking with Stingray Sailing for our upcoming cruise.

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cannot agree the more with sting ray sailing. Our excursion was 14 people and we were far and away from the crowds. The stingray encounter without rush and then over 1/2 hour snorkeling in the reef. Super gorgeous. The captain and crew were super friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was trying to book with Stingray Sailing for a January date and they referred me over to Cayman Eco Adventures (they are "running a tour" with them). Anyone have experience with them? The literature looks similar to SRS.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:45 PM, calicakes said:

The company that X uses is called Resort Sports Ltd. Cayman.  Don't book with them.  Horrible. 

X has a few different sting ray choices.  1 was a CAT names Cockatoo ($74 for 3 hours).  Another was the Cayman Explorer ($59 for 2.5 hours and one called Stingray City Sandbar ($49 for 2.5 hours).  Are you familiar with either of these?  

3 hours ago, kayehall said:

X has a few different sting ray choices.  1 was a CAT names Cockatoo ($74 for 3 hours).  Another was the Cayman Explorer ($59 for 2.5 hours and one called Stingray City Sandbar ($49 for 2.5 hours).  Are you familiar with either of these?  

The one that we did was stingray city sandbar with snorkel.  The best way to find out what company they use is to write X customer service. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, blyle said:

We have used Capt Marvins for 20 years.  They have many different tours!

Same here.  I was just on their site booking for a May sailing and read about their new catamaran that is doing stingray, starfish and snorkel tours.  Sounds fun!