Charges for Drinks not in Drink Package

kag19

I'm guessing that you have a specific drink in mind that isn't covered, but I guess I have been lucky in that I just got drinks included in the plan.  I am a Scotch drinker and I usually drink Johnny Walker double Black and that was included, as was the wine I drank with dinner.

I know I don't now one wine from another and I know what tastes good to me, but I would tell the waiter I wanted the best red wine that was in the package.  On Harmony, in Jamie's, my Italian waitress brought me Chianti.  In Chops it was some other red wine.

All tasted good to me, but as I said, I am not one who knows fine wine from not so fine.  A classic example, my husband was a physical therapist.  One of his patients was a retired doctor with a large wine collection.  He gave my husband a fine bottle of wine as a thank you.  DH wasn't a wine drinker, so he told me about it and I drank it one night.  I just drank it as part of a "happy hour" at home.  I thought it was ok.  Later I found out it was some special wine worth about $200 a bottle.  OMG, I nearly died when I found that out.  It was some aged wine, heaven only knows what it was because I just drank it without appreciating it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, katiel53 said:

I'm guessing that you have a specific drink in mind that isn't covered, but I guess I have been lucky in that I just got drinks included in the plan.  I am a Scotch drinker and I usually drink Johnny Walker double Black and that was included, as was the wine I drank with dinner.

I know I don't now one wine from another and I know what tastes good to me, but I would tell the waiter I wanted the best red wine that was in the package.  On Harmony, in Jamie's, my Italian waitress brought me Chianti.  In Chops it was some other red wine.

All tasted good to me, but as I said, I am not one who knows fine wine from not so fine.  A classic example, my husband was a physical therapist.  One of his patients was a retired doctor with a large wine collection.  He gave my husband a fine bottle of wine as a thank you.  DH wasn't a wine drinker, so he told me about it and I drank it one night.  I just drank it as part of a "happy hour" at home.  I thought it was ok.  Later I found out it was some special wine worth about $200 a bottle.  OMG, I nearly died when I found that out.  It was some aged wine, heaven only knows what it was because I just drank it without appreciating it.

The sommelier on our last cruise with Celebrity was really good at bringing different wines every night to try and we never had to pay above the drink package. This cruise might be different as it is with Royal. I like your suggestion of asking for the best red in the package.  I will be doing that... I do love my red wine but like you, we just know what tastes good to us!

Edited by kag19
Stupid autocorrect

12 hours ago, katiel53 said:

we learned long ago to  ignore pricing.   we even tend to not care too much about points.  when we lived in Monterey,  we were invited to a blind taste testing of about 30 Pinot Noirs.   the over all winner.. was $18.99 a bottle.  

the best bottle we ever had was a $75 red blend that we drank With  cheap popcorn in front of the TV one night.  

drink what you like and don't feel guilty at all

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guinness1000 said:

Slightly off topic, but...  🙂

I know Starbucks is not included in the premium drink package, but what about milkshakes at Johnny Rockets?

I believe shakes are now included in the Refeshment and Deluxe packages.  However, some ships may require a food purchase in order to get a "free" shake.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe shakes are now included in the Refeshment and Deluxe packages.  However, some ships may require a food purchase in order to get a "free" shake.

Yeah a food order was required the last time I got a shake there on Allure

I had thought that any drink up to $13 is covered, and I’d only have to pay the excess. But am I understanding this correctly, that there is some list of included drinks? So if I want a specific cognac (nothing over the top, but a decent XO that would be over the price limit), I would have to pay the full price, not just the part over $13? Not the end of the world, but got to know ... where can one find such a list of included beverages?

21 hours ago, October17 said:

I had thought that any drink up to $13 is covered, and I’d only have to pay the excess.

Yes, plus 18% of the extra.  So a $15 drink would cost you $2.36.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, SRF said:

Life is too short to drink lousy wine. 😄

LOLOL!!  I had to dump a bottle recently that I got as a gift...I hated to do it but is was SO bad!  And trust me, we are not wine snobs by any means...  Was sad watching it go down the drain but I just couldn't drink it any longer.