CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

I just called Bayonne Taxi and they said they definitely service Cape Liberty and they have a contract to do so.  Don’t know what happened for you.  The only thing I can think of is that the self disembarking folks snapped up all the taxis, so by the time you got there at 7:30, there were no available cabs.  I have had to wait for a cab there, but I’ve always been able to get one.  For me traveling solo, it only costs $5-6 to go to the light rail, so it’s worth waiting for.  That $5-6 is a per person price and my best guess is that it’s part of the “contract” with the local cab companies.

This is my plan for our July 15, 2020 cruise out of Bayonne. I would like to know if it's reasonable or if one of the experts on this board can guide me. We are flying into EWR on July 14 and will take the shuttle to the Hilton Newark Airport. The following morning we'll take an Uber to the port.

Upon returning July 24 we are staying for 6 days to see the sights in NYC. My plan is to book the Hilton Penn Station and take the PATH into NYC each day and then on departure day take the shuttle back to EWR. Is this plan reasonable or are there better options?

8 minutes ago, JoJo1008 said:

This is my plan for our July 15, 2020 cruise out of Bayonne. I would like to know if it's reasonable or if one of the experts on this board can guide me. We are flying into EWR on July 14 and will take the shuttle to the Hilton Newark Airport. The following morning we'll take an Uber to the port.

Upon returning July 24 we are staying for 6 days to see the sights in NYC. My plan is to book the Hilton Penn Station and take the PATH into NYC each day and then on departure day take the shuttle back to EWR. Is this plan reasonable or are there better options?

The Hilton Doubletree Penn Station (recently renamed) is very well priced for your dates.  Your plan is reasonable and budget friendly.

Are you seniors?

Normally I recommend paying the extra money to take NJ transit to NY Penn Station for midtown and PATH to World Trade for downtown.  However, PATH to midtown is less expensive and takes a bit longer with the transfer at Journal Square.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum about weekend PATH service to downtown which requires a free transfer to a ferry at Exchange Place. As a tourist you might find a ferry ride across the Hudson an added free perk (normally a $9 fare).

What do you plan to do in NYC?  You should probably consider buying a 7 day MTA subway pass so you can just run around Manhattan.  I’ve found that it’s often faster to take PATH to World Trade and pick up the subway train that goes most directly to my Manhattan destination.  

Thank you so much for this information. We are not quite seniors yet but I definitely will buy the 7 day MTA pass. We've done the same in London and Paris with weekly passes. It's great not to have to worry about payment. Also, I think the idea of using both Path and NJ transit depending on where we're going is a good one. It's a little more but hey, we're on vacation. 

19 minutes ago, JoJo1008 said:

Thank you so much for this information. We are not quite seniors yet but I definitely will buy the 7 day MTA pass. We've done the same in London and Paris with weekly passes. It's great not to have to worry about payment. Also, I think the idea of using both Path and NJ transit depending on where we're going is a good one. It's a little more but hey, we're on vacation. 

When you plan your days, post back for more advice.  I know from personal experience that to go to the Metropolitan Museum, it would likely be faster to go downtown on PATH to pick up the 4 or 5 express train to get to the upper east side.  We have lots of contributors who can give you advice about your plans.

Seniors are 62 on NJ Transit.

1 minute ago, 138east said:

When you plan your days, post back for more advice.  I know from personal experience that to go to the Metropolitan Museum, it would likely be faster to go downtown on PATH to pick up the 4 or 5 express train to get to the upper east side.  We have lots of contributors who can give you advice about your plans.

Seniors are 62 on NJ Transit

Thank you so much, I will definitely post when i have my plans set. I love this board, there are so many helpful people willing to share their knowledge. 

2 hours ago, kellers13 said:

I ended up booking at the Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands. The nearby late night eats and easy public transportation to NYC were the deal makers. 

Thanks to all who helped 🙂

I think you’ll be happy with your choice.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if someone can help with subway/path plan. Will be going on Anthem on 11/16 and we’re staying the night before at Doubletree Hilton Newark penn station. We have never been to NY or NJ so I would appreciate any help. Currently we’re planning on taking the Path train to the World Trade Center. We will walk around to see the memorial and things close and possibly go to the top of One World Trade Center but would then like to go see the lights of Times Square. Do we take the Path train from WTC to NY Penn Station and then get on a subway? And then I’m confused on how to get back from Times Square to our hotel if it’s after midnight and the Path train from WTC is down for the weekend. Any advise would be great as I’m a little intimidated by the subway system. Also looking for recommendations for a good NYC deli sandwich or must try food in the areas we’ll be in. Thanks all 😉

54 minutes ago, beanandme said:

Wondering if someone can help with subway/path plan. Will be going on Anthem on 11/16 and we’re staying the night before at Doubletree Hilton Newark penn station. We have never been to NY or NJ so I would appreciate any help. Currently we’re planning on taking the Path train to the World Trade Center. We will walk around to see the memorial and things close and possibly go to the top of One World Trade Center but would then like to go see the lights of Times Square. Do we take the Path train from WTC to NY Penn Station and then get on a subway? And then I’m confused on how to get back from Times Square to our hotel if it’s after midnight and the Path train from WTC is down for the weekend. Any advise would be great as I’m a little intimidated by the subway system. Also looking for recommendations for a good NYC deli sandwich or must try food in the areas we’ll be in. Thanks all 😉

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Think of it as a big circle trip.  

1) Path from Newark Penn Station to World Trade.  You will be doing this on a Friday, so no PATH service interruption until midnight.  Read the sticky at top of this forum. 

2) NYC Subway #1, 2, or 3 or R train “ uptown” to Times Square from the World Trade area. Subway stations are very close together in downtown Manhattan.  They are well marked with the same color codes as on the above map.

3). NJ Transit train back to Newark Penn Station from New York Penn Station. $5.25/pp  Last train is 1:22 am on a Fri night.  If you’re later than that, PATH will be running from 33rd & 6th to Journal Square for a transfer to the Newark train to Newark Penn Station.

My cousin and his wife are staying  post cruise near Columbus Circle and have a 7pm flight on Sunday 10/27 out of Newark.Any advice would be appreciated on the best way to get to the airport.

Edited by Spf12

49 minutes ago, Spf12 said:

My cousin and his wife are staying  post cruise near Columbus Circle and have a 7pm flight on Sunday 10/27 out of Newark.Any advice would be appreciated on the best way to get to the airport.

Car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo, or Uber/Lyft.

21 hours ago, packedandready said:

Flying into EWR 2-3 days early. Would like to see SoL, 911 memorial and whatever else I can manage. Doubletree Penn Station has been recommended. Good choice for an older couple from a small rural area???? This seems soooo confusing. 

Exact dates?  Public transit is available to downtown and midtown via PATH and NJ Transit, but PATH has track work on Sat & Sun to World Trade Center that requires a free transfer to the ferry. Read the sticky at the top of this forum. More details can be provided. 

4 hours ago, 138east said:

Exact dates?  Public transit is available to downtown and midtown via PATH and NJ Transit, but PATH has track work on Sat & Sun to World Trade Center that requires a free transfer to the ferry. Read the sticky at the top of this forum. More details can be provided. 

Fly in sunday, 7-12, cruise leaves Wednesday, 7-15 so most sightseeing will be Monday and Tuesday. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, packedandready said:

Fly in sunday, 7-12, cruise leaves Wednesday, 7-15 so most sightseeing will be Monday and Tuesday. 

Doubletree Penn Station would work fine for you.  PATH to World Trade for SOL and 911 Memorial.  NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for midtown sights like Times Square, Empire State, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center.

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf - big picture Transit map

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html - PATH map

I am hoping someone can provide hotel ideas. Normally we stay on International (Gilchmer Realty) in Elizabeth near the mall but that does not seem to be a good location for accessing the PATH to the city.

There are 2 of us sailing July 20 2020 on the Empress of the Seas out of Bayonne.  We will be taking Amtrak from the DC area to Newark on Saturday the 18th.  We will need a room with 2 beds for 2 nights.  We are flexible concerning hotel chain - I prefer Marriott properties, BFF likes Hilton.  I would like to stay below $250 per night but also know NY/NJ is pricey.   I am thinking staying in NJ because getting to the port on a Monday morning would be easier.  We have both visited New York City many times for work and vacation so the 911 memorial is the one thing we want to see and plan to go to the memorial and museum on the 19th. I need to buy tickets online 6 months in advance. I saw the information on this thread and read the sticky that the PATH on the weekend will require using a Ferry. 

Thanks in Advance for Any Advice

1 hour ago, vavasmom said:

I am hoping someone can provide hotel ideas. Normally we stay on International (Gilchmer Realty) in Elizabeth near the mall but that does not seem to be a good location for accessing the PATH to the city.

There are 2 of us sailing July 20 2020 on the Empress of the Seas out of Bayonne.  We will be taking Amtrak from the DC area to Newark on Saturday the 18th.  We will need a room with 2 beds for 2 nights.  We are flexible concerning hotel chain - I prefer Marriott properties, BFF likes Hilton.  I would like to stay below $250 per night but also know NY/NJ is pricey.   I am thinking staying in NJ because getting to the port on a Monday morning would be easier.  We have both visited New York City many times for work and vacation so the 911 memorial is the one thing we want to see and plan to go to the memorial and museum on the 19th. I need to buy tickets online 6 months in advance. I saw the information on this thread and read the sticky that the PATH on the weekend will require using a Ferry. 

Thanks in Advance for Any Advice

Consider the Doubletree by Hilton Newark Penn Station. It's attached to the railroad station by an enclosed walkway, and Newark Penn Station serves Amtrak, PATH and NJ Transit. It looks like room rates for your dates are quite reasonable...well under $150 per night before taxes.