CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

Without having to go thru 20 pages of this thread, so if this was asked already and answered, I do apologize.

We have a cruise booked out of Bayonne mid May. We live on Long Island NY and we are asking what would be the best way to get to the terminal. We don't mind driving, but what are the charges for parking at the terminal and are there other options, like parking say a mile away and shuttling over.

We were thinking about maybe doing the train, but we know nothing about NJ Transit. We have a good access to the LIRR into Penn Station, but what happens after that. We are two seniors who really don't do well schlepping luggage. Is there a sort of direct route from Penn Station to the terminal?

Thanks, any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Len

38 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Without having to go thru 20 pages of this thread, so if this was asked already and answered, I do apologize.

We have a cruise booked out of Bayonne mid May. We live on Long Island NY and we are asking what would be the best way to get to the terminal. We don't mind driving, but what are the charges for parking at the terminal and are there other options, like parking say a mile away and shuttling over.

We were thinking about maybe doing the train, but we know nothing about NJ Transit. We have a good access to the LIRR into Penn Station, but what happens after that. We are two seniors who really don't do well schlepping luggage. Is there a sort of direct route from Penn Station to the terminal?

Cheers

Len

Parking at the port is $25/day.  There is another less expensive option with a shuttle that we don’t recommend.  Bayonne is a highly urban area.  The folks who live locally do not recommend parking offsite.  Folks coming from Long Island generally come across the Verrazano Bridge and take the Bayonne Bridge to Cape Liberty.

There is no direct route from NY Penn Station.  You would have to get yourselves across NY Penn to the NJ Transit side and take a Northeast Corridor or North Jersey coast train to Newark Penn Station for $2.45/pp and Uber or Lyft to Cape Liberty.  Both NY Penn and Newark Penn do have red cap service.

Edited by 138east

Hi Everyone,

We are on the Oasis May 31st - June 7, 2020.  This is the 3rd time going out of Bayonne, but the first time we are flying.  Our flight is at Noon from EWR (it is on a Sunday).  We would like to be at EWR at 10am and know it is about 10 miles.  We are using a car service, what time would you tell them to meet you at the port? We are thinking 9:15am.  Also, does anyone have any car services they recommend?  We have 5 adults and 8 suitcases (we are not interested in a taxi/Uber, etc).

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

The Red Caps at NY Penn and Newark Penn (as suggested by 138east) work for Amtrak and are generally NOT thrilled with helping non-Amtrak guests with their stuff (especially at Newark, if you can even find one. On one occasion, I was switching from Amtrak to NJT and a red cap assisted but he was NOT happy about it at all and he got a decent tip)  I'm sure that for a healthy tip, they'd assist BUT if you're taking LIRR, you're going to have to haul your stuff to the Amtrak area to even find one.

Honestly, if you're not comfortable schlepping luggage, I'd drive or see if you could get a local-to-you car service (maybe Carmel Limo?  Or Dial 7? )  If you figure in stress, aggravation and the overcrowded, stinky mess known as NY Penn, you'll find that driving is the best, most cost effective choice.  (I place a 'value' on my mental and physical well-being the older I get. And last time I was at NYP a month or so ago, the stench was overwhelming and I was REALLY not comfortable being there at all.)

19 hours ago, twinglesmfp said:

Hi Everyone,

We are on the Oasis May 31st - June 7, 2020.  This is the 3rd time going out of Bayonne, but the first time we are flying.  Our flight is at Noon from EWR (it is on a Sunday).  We would like to be at EWR at 10am and know it is about 10 miles.  We are using a car service, what time would you tell them to meet you at the port? We are thinking 9:15am.  Also, does anyone have any car services they recommend?  We have 5 adults and 8 suitcases (we are not interested in a taxi/Uber, etc).

Thanks!

Carmellimo or Dial7.  9:15 should be fine.

Hi All,

We are on the Oasis May 24-31, and looking for a good hotel recommendation near the Port.  We will be flying into Newark on May 23rd, and will have three people, myself, my husband and our 2.5 year old.  We will have a carseat with us (but no car) and would be willing to spend up to $300 for a room.  Any good relatively child friendly hotel options nearby?  Breakfast would be a plus, as would be close to some sort of restaurant for dinner the night before.  

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, kpek said:

Hi All,

We are on the Oasis May 24-31, and looking for a good hotel recommendation near the Port.  We will be flying into Newark on May 23rd, and will have three people, myself, my husband and our 2.5 year old.  We will have a carseat with us (but no car) and would be willing to spend up to $300 for a room.  Any good relatively child friendly hotel options nearby?  Breakfast would be a plus, as would be close to some sort of restaurant for dinner the night before.  

Thanks!

I’d look at Embassy Suites and Residence Inn on International Blvd.  Free Breakfast.  IHOP and Ruby Tuesday’s on same street.  Applebee’s, Johnny Rockets, and food court at nearby Jersey Gardens Mall. 

Residence Inn will offer a real kitchen area.

138 east....wow I am so enjoying your unreal knowledge of the area! a couple of questions we are on oasis in june and are staying at embassy suites per your suggestion! did you say you could walk to the mall? and also our flight out of newark leaves at 1150 am and our car pickup at the port said he will pick us up at 10 will that give us ample time? thanks!!

19 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

138 east....wow I am so enjoying your unreal knowledge of the area! a couple of questions we are on oasis in june and are staying at embassy suites per your suggestion! did you say you could walk to the mall? and also our flight out of newark leaves at 1150 am and our car pickup at the port said he will pick us up at 10 will that give us ample time? thanks!!

Yes you can walk to the mall.  Take a look at the area on Google Earth.  You would walk to the end of International Blvd and cross Kapkowski Road and walk through the parking lot to the Mall.

I don’t fly in and out of Newark.  There is no experience yet to report with an Oasis disembarkation.  Even though it’s a Sunday, my read of other’s experience with EWR would be that you should consider a pickup between 9-9:30 just to give yourselves some extra wiggle room.  What airline are you flying?  Hopefully others will comment about that.

2 hours ago, COCKYMARK said:

Newark is our airport, we always plan to arrive there 2 hours before our flight. Security can get backed up.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:02 PM, 138east said:

Newark is a highly urban area, but the Hilton Doubletree Penn Station is directly connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk.

What exactly are you going to do in NYC?  PATH is best for accessing lower Manhattan.($8.25 for 3 people). The ferry is a free ride across the Hudson River and is part of the adventure. For going to midtown (no ferry) Path will still cost you $8.25  with a transfer at Journal Square.  NJ Transit train is quicker by about 15 minutes to get you directly to midtown.  $12.95 ($5.25 x 2 + $2.45 child).  From both PATH 33rd St and NY Penn Station you can walk to the Empire State, Times Square, Rockefeller Center.

Let us know what you want to see and we can offer suggestions.

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

https://old.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Thanks so much for the response!  We'd like to take in a Broadway show (Aladdin, Come From Away, Harry Potter, or Hamilton - depending on what we can get and prices!), see Times Square, the Statue of Liberty (was thinking of cruising around the harbor as I hear the lines to get up the statue are long?), and the 9/11 memorial.  We only have 1 full day and probably 3/4 a day depending on what time we fly in.  We're coming from Toronto so flights are pretty much every hour into Newark.

Also, is there anything AROUND the hotel?  I've stayed at lovely hotels that were in unfortunately sketchy areas and didn't feel safe leaving the hotel.

46 minutes ago, Mintycake said:

Thanks so much for the response!  We'd like to take in a Broadway show (Aladdin, Come From Away, Harry Potter, or Hamilton - depending on what we can get and prices!), see Times Square, the Statue of Liberty (was thinking of cruising around the harbor as I hear the lines to get up the statue are long?), and the 9/11 memorial.  We only have 1 full day and probably 3/4 a day depending on what time we fly in.  We're coming from Toronto so flights are pretty much every hour into Newark.

Also, is there anything AROUND the hotel?  I've stayed at lovely hotels that were in unfortunately sketchy areas and didn't feel safe leaving the hotel.

You can pair the 9/11 memorial with taking a ferry to Ellis island/SOL, you buy timed tickets in advance, you need to do it months ahead of time for the crown, not sure of the base. There is also a museum. I didn’t find lines long to get into the SOL, just security before the ferry. Good luck on those Hamilton tickets, everyone I know who saw come from away loved it. I think the area around the hotel is fine during daylight, I’d uber at night. If you are there for dinner, that section of Newark has the best Portuguese restaurants in the country.

17 hours ago, essgee_ca said:

Parsipany has been suggested (earlier on this forum) for pre cruise stay.  What amenities can be found near the hotels there?  Are there stores and restaurants nearby?

Thanks.

Interstate 80 and US route 46 run parallel through Parsippany. You will find numerous stores/restaurants along route 46. The top supermarket in this area(Shop Rite) has a location on 46 west. The town before Parsippany is Rockaway. The Rockaway Townsquare mall is just off I 80 close to Hilton Garden Inn & Homewood Suites which you may want to price. A larger mall (Willowbrook) is off 46 East in Wayne NJ about 10-15 miles past Parsippany but you will be going out of your way.

The fastest route to Cape Liberty from Parsippany will be via I 287 and other roads.

Edited by meadowlander

We are sailing out of Bayonne 3/29.  Is the road construction completed?

We sailed out of Bayonne last June and it was confusing even on a Saturday.

Sorry if this has been answered already......I haven't read all 20 pages.

Thank you!

Thank you for this thread.  I have never cruised out of Bayonne and are unfamiliar with the NYC airports.  If I fly into LGA or JFK as opposed to EWR, what is the average time  and cost of getting to Bayonne?  Looking at a Sunday morning arrival.  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, irishgal432 said:

Thank you for this thread.  I have never cruised out of Bayonne and are unfamiliar with the NYC airports.  If I fly into LGA or JFK as opposed to EWR, what is the average time  and cost of getting to Bayonne?  Looking at a Sunday morning arrival.  

Thanks!

From LGA or JFK it’s an interstate trip, so you want to look at a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo (No NYC cabs). Base quote will likely be $100+. Tolls will be extra - Bridge or tunnel toll  $15-17 plus some NJ Turnpike toll and possibly more depending on the route. Expected tip is 18-20% on base cost.

If the traffic is good, the trips are about an hour, but could run more.

• Thanks 1

Looking for car service from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport for family of 4 & at least 4 luggages.  Rate with Dial7 or Carmellimo is about $90.  Does this sound right?  Would Uber be cheaper?  What's estimated rate with Uber?  Any other car services?

On 3/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, bjtll said:

I found it and it said 14 Port Terminal Boulevard Bayonne New Jersey 07002.   Are you sure I'll look again. Thank you

That I believe was the address of the old terminal. The port's website says 4 Port Terminal Blvd.

Regardless, do you think your GPS is going to send you to a very different location you use 4  and the actual address is 14, or vice versa ?