CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

7 hours ago, ericosmith said:

As I recall, there's just one road leading in so it doesn't much matter what address you use. 

Totally agree.  One road into the port - nothing much on the peninsula except for the Cruiseport terminal.  Just follow the crowd.  Most folks drop off luggage and then park.  No way to get lost using either address.

Hi there. Me again

I'm arriving at Jfk on Sat 11th April and getting the LIRR to Penn. Then, I need to get to DT Newark Penn.

Someone on the Anthem Ta roll call stated that the Path is closed that weekend. On Sunday morning I have booked EdgeNyc  at 8am. I will get back to the hotel then get a cab to the ship.

My question is, getting from Penn to Newark Penn then getting to Hudson Yards and back on Sunday morning

19 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Hi there. Me again

I'm arriving at Jfk on Sat 11th April and getting the LIRR to Penn. Then, I need to get to DT Newark Penn.

Someone on the Anthem Ta roll call stated that the Path is closed that weekend. On Sunday morning I have booked EdgeNyc  at 8am. I will get back to the hotel then get a cab to the ship.

My question is, getting from Penn to Newark Penn then getting to Hudson Yards and back on Sunday morning

PATH service between Exchange Place and World Trade is replaced by ferry service on Sat & Sun.  This does NOT affect you.  You should seriously consider spending the extra money to take NJ Transit between NY Penn Station and Newark Penn Station, particularly with luggage.

It looks like there is a 7:10 train on Sun morning that will get you to NY Penn at 7:35, which gives you time to be at a Hudson Yards at 8 am.  What time is your activity finished on Sun?

Post back if you are determined to take PATH.  It’s almost a 2 avenue further walk to Hudson Yards plus it’s an overall slower trip.

13 hours ago, 138east said:

PATH service between Exchange Place and World Trade is replaced by ferry service on Sat & Sun.  This does NOT affect you.  You should seriously consider spending the extra money to take NJ Transit between NY Penn Station and Newark Penn Station, particularly with luggage.

It looks like there is a 7:10 train on Sun morning that will get you to NY Penn at 7:35, which gives you time to be at a Hudson Yards at 8 am.  What time is your activity finished on Sun?

Post back if you are determined to take PATH.  It’s almost a 2 avenue further walk to Hudson Yards plus it’s an overall slower trip.

Perfect. Thanks. 

I saw the NJ Transit and they have a route planner. Ill do that. I've also got the app now. 

Good idea for Saturday is the ferry getting into Manhatten on Saturday. That would be a change

Thanks again

11 hours ago, bigeck said:

Perfect. Thanks. 

I saw the NJ Transit and they have a route planner. Ill do that. I've also got the app now. 

Good idea for Saturday is the ferry getting into Manhatten on Saturday. That would be a change

Thanks again

The ferry could be a nice ride across the Hudson, particularly if you’re going to lower Manhattan.   Here’s the PATH site - https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/index.html

If you like ferries, the Staten Island ferry is free.

Here’s the NY subway map - https://new.mta.info/map/5256  If you go uptown on the Subway, PATH is at 33rd & 6th (Herald Square) near Macy’s.

Any great park and stay hotels near Bayonne that has reliable shuttle service to the port and back?

Thanks bunches, trying to decide if we want to come in a night ahead and do a park and stay or drive and park at the pier for $25/day.  We have about a 5 hour drive total so either option is feasible.

1 hour ago, Cyrra said:

Any great park and stay hotels near Bayonne that has reliable shuttle service to the port and back?

Thanks bunches, trying to decide if we want to come in a night ahead and do a park and stay or drive and park at the pier for $25/day.  We have about a 5 hour drive total so either option is feasible.

What date do you need a hotel?  2 people?  Any bed size requirements?  Where are you coming from?

You’re basically looking at Newark Airport hotels and chances are the packages will run more than the cost of cruise parking for a 7-9 day cruise.

I’m not sure any of the options could be categorized as ‘great park and stay hotels’, but some are better than others. 

Edited by 138east

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My last cruise, seems like forever ago, I had wonderful directions from Southeastern CT to Cape Liberty from 138east

I cannot seem to find them. Can anyone give me directions again from CT to the port. I am leaving on a Sunday Oct 10

thanks 

@junior8

This maybe?

Tried searching here but actually did it on Google!  Hope this helps!

You want to get onto the Merritt/Hutchinson River Parkway. If you come down I95 to Rye NY there is a cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no triucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

1 hour ago, Cruisebaza said:

Any updated parking options for Cape Liberty? I'm only seeing the cruise port itself. 

That's all you'll see. At one time there was sketchy operation operating out of a warehouse or storage facility parking lot not far from the port, but presumably the cruising shutdown put them out of business.

Parking at the port is safe and secure. There's an almost brand new garage and overflow lot for when the garage is full . Current rate is $25 per night.

I have searched and I can not find this answer.... I apologize if already asked or if in a different thread. We are coming from Canada a few days before our cruise in January to New York We are staying at the Hilton Club West 57th. We are struggling to find a place that will allow us to prebook our test for the Saturday (we leave Monday). We can not use the home kits as they do not ship to Canada I am worried if I ship to hotel if they will actually get there and they will have them for us etc..... Anyone have any insight?

1 hour ago, nc350 said:

I have searched and I can not find this answer.... I apologize if already asked or if in a different thread. We are coming from Canada a few days before our cruise in January to New York We are staying at the Hilton Club West 57th. We are struggling to find a place that will allow us to prebook our test for the Saturday (we leave Monday). We can not use the home kits as they do not ship to Canada I am worried if I ship to hotel if they will actually get there and they will have them for us etc..... Anyone have any insight?

Problem is that you're trying to book a test months too early.  From what I've seen about two weeks out is about as far as you can make an advance booking. And who knows what the testing landscape will look like three months from now? If there's a surge in cases it may be tough to get an appointment, if things have calmed down it will be a lot easier. 

I know this isn't very helpful, but I don't think there's much you can do right now. Perhaps you should also post on your cruise's Roll Call as someone in a similar situation may have a better answer.

8 hours ago, nc350 said:

I We are struggling to find a place that will allow us to prebook our test for the Saturday (we leave Monday). We can not use the home kits as they do not ship to Canada I am worried if I ship to hotel if they will actually get there and they will have them for us etc..... Anyone have any insight?

At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, there is a no appointment needed testing site at the Staten Island Ferry terminal on the Staten Island side. Rapid testing before 6:00pm gets results inside of an hour, PCR  results usually within 24 hours.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone!  Just found this thread, but realize it doesn't have a lot of recent info on it.  My mother and myself are arriving June 1 for a June 2 sailing on Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty.  She gets around well, but stamina is a little less.  Any recommendations for a hotel near the airport and cruiseport that has an airport shuttle?  I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for her to get around, and me to handle all of our luggage.  My husband usually does that part, but he won't be with us, so it's all up to me 😁We are Hilton Diamond members, but are willing to do something else if it's much better. TIA

3 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Hi everyone!  Just found this thread, but realize it doesn't have a lot of recent info on it.  My mother and myself are arriving June 1 for a June 2 sailing on Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty.  She gets around well, but stamina is a little less.  Any recommendations for a hotel near the airport and cruiseport that has an airport shuttle?  I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for her to get around, and me to handle all of our luggage.  My husband usually does that part, but he won't be with us, so it's all up to me 😁We are Hilton Diamond members, but are willing to do something else if it's much better. TIA

There are a cluster of hotels on International Blvd. in Elizabeth, Country Inn and Suites, Extended Stay America, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott and Embassy Suites...the last being a Hilton property. Most if not all should offer an airport shuttle and if not an Uber from EWR should  be in the $25 range. You can use Uber from any of those hotels to Cape Liberty for about $25.

The hotels on International Blvd. are close to the Mills at Jersey Gardens outlet mall as well as restaurants from the IHOP and Ruby Tuesday chains.

There are other Hilton hotels in the EWR area that aren't quite as close to Cape Liberty. You can get an idea on Hilton's website.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1