CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

On 1/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, 138east said:

What is the exact date you need a room?  Which Choice hotel properties are you looking at?  I’m not seeing any Choice hotels anywhere near the airport.  That means you’d have to take a cab or Uber to the hotel.  Newark is a highly industrialized urban area, so you might not want to be running around so late at night.

We need a room for July 26th (technically it will be July 27th)  Cambria Hotel West Orange, Comfort Suites Newark-Harrison and Comfort Suites at Woodbridge are the ones that show up when I search on the Choice Hotels Website.  None of them offer a shuttle.  😞  If we can get an Uber at 1:30 in the morning for a reasonable price we will probably stick with the Choice Hotels, but if not, I may have to pay for a hotel with a shuttle or connected to the airport and just Uber to the port in the morning.  

56 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

We need a room for July 26th (technically it will be July 27th)  Cambria Hotel West Orange, Comfort Suites Newark-Harrison and Comfort Suites at Woodbridge are the ones that show up when I search on the Choice Hotels Website.  None of them offer a shuttle.  😞  If we can get an Uber at 1:30 in the morning for a reasonable price we will probably stick with the Choice Hotels, but if not, I may have to pay for a hotel with a shuttle or connected to the airport and just Uber to the port in the morning.  

I’d scratch off west orange and Woodbridge, I think Uber costs would make it not worth it. Newark would be cheaper, it’s not the greatest area (and I live less than 10 miles from there).

14 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d scratch off west orange and Woodbridge, I think Uber costs would make it not worth it. Newark would be cheaper, it’s not the greatest area (and I live less than 10 miles from there).

I agree.  You want a free hotel and the Newark Comfort Inn is the closest.  It might even be a metered cab local ride from the airport, which West Orange and Woodbridge would not be.  

Cabs definitely pick up at each of the EWR terminals and I think Uber/Lyft as well.  However, the hotel shuttles pick up at the P4 Airtrain station. So if you were to pay for an airport hotel, arriving in the middle of the night you would have to take the airtrain to P4 to connect with the free hotel shuttle, which might take quite a bit of time at such an off peak hour.

2 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

We need a room for July 26th (technically it will be July 27th)  Cambria Hotel West Orange, Comfort Suites Newark-Harrison and Comfort Suites at Woodbridge are the ones that show up

The first and last of those hotels are going in the opposite direction of Cape Liberty.

I understand your desire to use your points for the hotel but arriving at that time in Newark, I would not want to be traveling in that city in the early morning hours and not to that hotel on Mc Carter Highway. Knowing the city, I would pay for an airport hotel and most likely even a cab ride to get there rather than "waiting around" for a ride.

Edited by meadowlander

Looking at the Comfort Suite @ Newark, I do NOT see a free airport shuttle services nor available at all.  You are on your own if arranging to get from EWR to the hotel - pricing for the Uber trip should be shown on the official app. 

As for getting some sodas and bringing them onboard, I suggest using the hotel's vendoring machine to get it at prevailing rates.  

7 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

If you stay at Comfort-Newark/Harrison there is a Sunoco w/ a 7-11, 4 minutes walk north. Or Simply Bagel shop 3 min. walk to the south. Both sell soda (pop).

Hi everyone

I've tried to find answers to my travel queries but it's hard to search these threads so apologies if this has been asked before.

we are flying into JFK from London on 28th February, spending 2 nights in NY then picking up our cruise at Cape Liberty on 1st March.

I am just beginning to realize that this port is not the easiest to get to and from. I have decided we will get a yellow cab from the airport to downtown.

It looks as though Carmel Limos would work for getting down to Cape Liberty?

the biggest problem is on our return to the port on 8th March, as the ship docks at 6am but our flight leaves JFK at 7.30pm. There doesn't seem to be anything sensible to do with all this time with our luggage, apart from the RCI disembarkation tour which I realise it not much more than a drive by but it solves the issues of something todo, not worrying about our luggage and getting back to the airport.

Any experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

Mary

On 1/5/2020 at 2:24 PM, mjkacmom said:

Is it too dangerous to even take an Uber from the airport straight to the hotel in the middle of the night?

10 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

Is it too dangerous to even take an Uber from the airport straight to the hotel in the middle of the night?

I don’t think so, my young adult kids have taken Uber’s from penn station Newark home after midnight. There should be cabs lined up too.

Sailing out of Cape Liberty on August 9th, flying in on the 8th.

We have points on SW that I would like to use but they only fly into LGA. How bad is it really compared to flying into Newark?  I currently have flights there booked through Frontier landing in Newark, but prefer Southwest.

Also, is the Hyatt Regency Jersey City a convenient hotel to stay in overnight? We arrive mid morning so thought we would do some sightseeing in the afternoon.  

Should add that there are 6 of us, most packing pretty lightly except me.  Have seen that the LyftXL is about $100 from LGA to the Hyatt. That is not too bad.

Edited by cured

5 minutes ago, cured said:

Sailing out of Cape Liberty on August 9th, flying in on the 8th.

We have points on SW that I would like to use but they only fly into LGA. How bad is it really compared to flying into Newark?  I currently have flights there booked through Frontier landing in Newark, but prefer Southwest.

Also, is the Hyatt Regency Jersey City a convenient hotel to stay in overnight? We arrive mid morning so thought we would do some sightseeing in the afternoon.  

Should add that there are 6 of us, most packing pretty lightly except me.  Have seen that the LyftXL is about $100 from LGA to the Hyatt. That is not too bad.

Did you price a LyftXL from Newark Airport to the Hyatt?

What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?  What would you be paying for the Hyatt?  

You need to understand the public transit options, which are controlled by where you want to go in midtown.  PATH service to World Trade is replaced by ferry service on weekends, which is fine, but...If you’re going to midtown you would have to walk or ride PATH to Grove St to get the Journal Square-33rd St train to 33rd & 6th.  If your destination is not close to 33rd & 6th, then your best route to your destination might be ferry to World Trade and subway instead of PATH to 33rd and subway.  I know it sounds confusing, but we are here to give you the advice and strategies to make good decisions.

https://old.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

13 minutes ago, 138east said:

Did you price a LyftXL from Newark Airport to the Hyatt?

What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?  What would you be paying for the Hyatt?  

You need to understand the public transit options, which are controlled by where you want to go in midtown.  PATH service to World Trade is replaced by ferry service on weekends, which is fine, but...If you’re going to midtown you would have to walk or ride PATH to Grove St to get the Journal Square-33rd St train to 33rd & 6th.  If your destination is not close to 33rd & 6th, then your best route to your destination might be ferry to World Trade and subway instead of PATH to 33rd and subway.  I know it sounds confusing, but we are here to give you the advice and strategies to make good decisions.

https://old.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

No, didn't price the Lift to the Hyatt, just assumed it would be cheaper than LGA --> Hyatt.  

I grew up in the vicinity (Bergen County) although tons has changed in 40 years 🙂, so sightseeing is not imperative, although I think my husband and the kids would like to see the World Trade Center Memorial. 

I am really trying to get the feel how how bad a difference LGA vs EWR would be.  And if the Jersey City Hyatt is convenient to Uber/Lyft to the port on Sunday morning. I have 3 rooms booked there but they are refundable as is the Frontier flight.  If Newark is a ton better, I will just pay for the flights and extra baggage for me as I bring a bag for the cruise essentials like some meds, the chair clips, etc.

20 minutes ago, cured said:

No, didn't price the Lift to the Hyatt, just assumed it would be cheaper than LGA --> Hyatt.  

I grew up in the vicinity (Bergen County) although tons has changed in 40 years 🙂, so sightseeing is not imperative, although I think my husband and the kids would like to see the World Trade Center Memorial. 

I am really trying to get the feel how how bad a difference LGA vs EWR would be.  And if the Jersey City Hyatt is convenient to Uber/Lyft to the port on Sunday morning. I have 3 rooms booked there but they are refundable as is the Frontier flight.  If Newark is a ton better, I will just pay for the flights and extra baggage for me as I bring a bag for the cruise essentials like some meds, the chair clips, etc.

The Hyatt is just about the closest hotel to Cape Liberty.  It will also be a nice PATH ferry ride across the River.

Hopefully folks will comment about LGA vs Newark flights.  I would pick Newark because it’s just easier and a lot closer to Cape Liberty, but I don’t have any recent experience with either airport other than staying at precruise airport hotels.

None of the three NYC metropolitan area airports (JFK, LGA, and EWR) are any great shakes, but in my experience, EWR is the least horrendous of the three, in terms of the overall airport "experience".  On top of that, EWR is by far the most convenient location for access to Cape Liberty.  It is also the best placed for (relatively) quick, easy, and least expensive access to any of the hotels in Jersey City.

NB: There are now two Hyatts in Jersey City: The Hyatt Regency on the Hudson, and the Hyatt House Jersey City, literally two minutes' walk apart. I would not hesitate to stay at either of them.

(As Carol [138east] indicates, it is very easy to get back & forth to Manhattan from either of the Jersey City Hyatts, and reasonably cheap and easy to get to Cape Liberty.)

Edited by Post Captain

8 hours ago, easyone455 said:

Anyone know what is the best option for parking at or near cape liberty ? Best price ease of getting to port and safest option. Driving in from Pa. 6/18 for RCCL 8 nights.

Park at the pier, $22 a day, safe and easy.

I need help. I am driving myself crazy trying to decide where to stay. We are flying in to EWR on Aug 26 and leaving out of Bayonne on the 27th. Then when we return we are staying overnight Sept 5th and 6th and then flying home on the 7th. Should we just stay at the same hotel for all the nights? I am hoping to pay $220 or less. We need 2 rooms..3 adults in 1 room and 2 in another. The main thing we want to do on Sept 6th is going to the Statue of Liberty. It would be wonderful to be able to easily get something to eat also. thank you in advance for any help! you are all so very knowledgeable!!

19 hours ago, russnleanne said:

I need help. I am driving myself crazy trying to decide where to stay. We are flying in to EWR on Aug 26 and leaving out of Bayonne on the 27th. Then when we return we are staying overnight Sept 5th and 6th and then flying home on the 7th. Should we just stay at the same hotel for all the nights? I am hoping to pay $220 or less. We need 2 rooms..3 adults in 1 room and 2 in another. The main thing we want to do on Sept 6th is going to the Statue of Liberty. It would be wonderful to be able to easily get something to eat also. thank you in advance for any help! you are all so very knowledgeable!!

Do you have any bed size requirements for the adults?  Can you do 2 doubles for 3 people?  I assume your budget is $220 per room per night.  Do you have AAA or seniors?

Edited by 138east