Cinque Terre vs Florence

doccide

I am on the Explorer in June.  I have been to Florence twice but it has been 12 years or so.  I am looking at the Cinque Terre on your own excursion.  Any reccomendations?

Edited by doccide

I am looking at the cruises on the Explorer in June that have ports that would offer these excursions and am drawing a blank.

At any rate, I assume you are talking about a cruise that stops in Livorno?  On one hand, the term "too much Florence", just does not compute with me, Florence is a destination that you can't get too much of.  On the other hand, the cinque terre is an absolutely delightful way to spend a day, full of charm, a very different experience from Florence, much more laid back.  Don't be a bit concerned about the "on your own" nature of the excursion, these towns are made for strolling around, no need for a guided tour.  If you haven't been there, it is certainly a worthwhile excursion.

The good news is that whatever you choose, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy!

Bob

I’m not sure where your starting point in Cinque Terre will be but there is a train that takes you to all five towns.   There is also a walking trail.  It has been many years since we were there and I read that landslides have made parts impassable.   Vernanzza is very scenic and a great place for lunch with a view.  

I lived in Florence for six months as a young thing, so I agree that there is never too much Florence.  However, it is about two hours from the port which makes for a very long day.  

If the port is Livorno Florence is 90 mns by road...  not bad as many excursions go.   Cinque Terre - if you want to walk from village to village you need more than a day.   Presumably the excursion is planned for just a couple of them?   Anyway - two entirely different excursions.  One hiking and views, the other culture and history.  Food involved in both I suppose.

You can take the train between the villages if you don't want to walk up on the cliffs (and then down and then up to the next one)  Train leaves from la Spezia.   best way I have found to see the Cinque Terre is from the sea.  We rented a sailboat and skipper and had a wonderful day.  It left and returned to la Spezia.

The excursion of which doccode speaks, "Cinque Terre on your Own" consists of driving to Vernazza, then to Riomaggiore, then back to port.  This makes for a very long drive as well. (I am assuming that the port is Livorno).

I visited this area on an excursion from La Spezia, going by boat, and as Gerry mentioned, this was a lovely way to go.  Considering all of the options of what one can do from Livorno, in addition to Florence, there is Lucca, Pisa, Sienna, San Gimignano, the Tuscsan countryside...  for me, I think I would save the Cinque Terre for another time when visiting a port that is more convenient to it.

But as I say, you can't go wrong.

I was just looking at that excursion, Cinque Terra On Your Own.  The two towns,  Vernazza and Riomaggiore.  They apparently bus you to one, where you spend a few hours, then pick you up and bus you to the next one, etc.  

My question is, how walkable are those two towns themselves?  No hiking for us unfortunately, or lots of steep streets and stairs.  Strolling around a small town would be fine, but how vertical are they? 

I was just back in Florence last Sept after a 12 yrs hiatus, and I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack from the crowds. Nothing anybody could have told me prepared for this, and it was less than enjoyable. Ive been to CT a couple of times, last time about 10 yrs ago,  and I suspect the deluge of people to be similar. The best way to appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of CT is to approach it from the water. If you do this tour I hope you can take the ferry from one of the towns to another and be able to see it that way. Frankly, I wouldn't do either of these excursions if this is on peak time. Do they offer a tour to Lucca? If they do and you've never been I would suggest that one.

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

I was just back in Florence last Sept after a 12 yrs hiatus, and I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack from the crowds. Nothing anybody could have told me prepared for this, and it was less than enjoyable. Ive been to CT a couple of times, last time about 10 yrs ago,  and I suspect the deluge of people to be similar. The best way to appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of CT is to approach it from the water. If you do this tour I hope you can take the ferry from one of the towns to another and be able to see it that way. Frankly, I wouldn't do either of these excursions if this is on peak time. Do they offer a tour to Lucca? If they do and you've never been I would suggest that one.

We were in Florence a couple of years ago in October, and there were crowds even then, but not hordes.  And we stayed on the other side of the river, Oltrarno, which was charming and less crowded.  NOt sure what to say about the "overtourism" of the world's great cities.

I don't see Explorer in the Med in June either, neither 2019 nor 2020.  If we stop there, it'll be 2021, and it will be late April.

We did an extra cost excursion from Livorno where we went to a market and then for a cooking demonstration and wine lunch at a beautiful estate in a nearby town.  It was olive oil pressing season, so we tasted lots of dishes made with fresh olive oil.   It was a wonderful excursion, and I highly recommend it if it is available.

To walk from the centre of one Cinque Terre village to another means walking up to and along the cliffs and then walking down.  So you need to be fit!

Wendy - a day spent in Lucca would be SO much better!   We have spent holidays in the Lucca area and just lvoe it. walking on the walls around the town is amazing (though the first time we went to Lucca which was in 1970 we were able to drive our car up onto the walls and drive around them...That doesn't happen anymore!)  It is a beautiful, really well preserved medieval town.  Too bad few people know about it!

Florence in June won't be as crowded as Florence in July/August but still will be lots and lots of people.   I have been there in many different months of the year (used to have students there...) and it only seems quiet (relatively speaking) in January/February.   But Lucca - now that is a very special place.  To start with the medieval walls are completely intact because it was never attacked.  Which is apparently quite rare.  And they are huge, thick, red brick walls.   Well worth seeing - and walking or biking on.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:44 AM, Hambagahle said:

Florence in June won't be as crowded as Florence in July/August but still will be lots and lots of people.   I have been there in many different months of the year (used to have students there...) and it only seems quiet (relatively speaking) in January/February.   But Lucca - now that is a very special place.  To start with the medieval walls are completely intact because it was never attacked.  Which is apparently quite rare.  And they are huge, thick, red brick walls.   Well worth seeing - and walking or biking on.

I was there the first week of October and it was horrible. Cant even imagine how is it then in July/August

3 hours ago, doccide said:

Cruiseluv,  what was terrible, CinqueTerre, Lucca or Florence?

Sorry for not being clear, I was referring to Florence. The week prior I was in Lucca, and although I saw more tourists that I ever saw before, nothing like the levels in Florence. Lucca is lovely, if youve already been in Florence I would opt for that.

We were in Florence in April and it was fairly crowded even then, I can't imagine it in August...

But it's a beautiful city and I'd definitely recommend seeing it if you haven't before.  We especially enjoyed seeing Il Porcellino at the Mercato Nuovo since we have one of it's copies here in downtown Greenville.  Now every time I see our local piglet it reminds me of our day in Florence.

• Like 1