Facial Recognition Technology at Miami Port--Wow

nelblu

For Pax that have gone thru Miami Port and FRT, please correct me.  Unless I'm losing my mind, the picture that came up was of me at time of facing the technology.  It wasn't a passport or RCL's.

Also, my baggage helper, mentioned that the FRT presently is being used randomly.  Certain days Custom uses the passport and any other IDs methodology to clear Customs.

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

For Pax that have gone thru Miami Port and FRT, please correct me.  Unless I'm losing my mind, the picture that came up was of me at time of facing the technology.  It wasn't a passport or RCL's.

Also, my baggage helper, mentioned that the FRT presently is being used randomly.  Certain days Custom uses the passport and any other IDs methodology to clear Customs.

Correct.  The pic that displays is real time. The question is what pic are they using to match up to?   

When end we went through ATL the only pic I am aware they had access too was our passport photos which were linked to the flight on check in.  Not sure what pic they are using for RCI.  Probably drivers license/passport based on what you used to check in.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:38 AM, nelblu said:

It seems as such.  Also, heard an ad on radio and seen It being hawked by the TSA line at Newark Airport and the product is called "Clear".  The technology is either facial recognition or Iris scan and .  It is being used at some 2 dozens airports.  Don't know what the annual cost is. 

The cost is $179 a year. You can add other family members for additional  $50 each per year up to 3.

I'll stick with  my Global Entry.

• Like 1

I loved it!  So quick!  We disembarked with one of the later groups off of symphony, and it went so fast!  Only bummer for me is that my photo has me in contacts and hair down.  I walked off with glasses and my hair up.  They had to scan me a couple of times, and I had to take my glasses off, for it to work.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:38 AM, nelblu said:

Also, heard an ad on radio and seen It being hawked by the TSA line at Newark Airport and the product is called "Clear".  

Clear isn't really "hawked" by TSA. It's a private company providing alternative screening at venues. They are at airports and a number of sporting venues.

8 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Clear isn't really "hawked" by TSA. It's a private company providing alternative screening at venues. They are at airports and a number of sporting venues.

Maybe I did not make it clear--I said that "Clear" was being hawked by the TSA line and not by TSA staff.

3 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

There is absolutely no way I would RCI allow to take a biometric picture of me! 👎

LOL! It's cute that you think you have control over this. RCI already has a picture of you and all the information they could possibly want.  Besides, this isn't RCI it's CBP.

But seriously, what is your  fear???

5 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

There is absolutely no way I would RCI allow to take a biometric picture of me! 👎

Bad news.  If you have a passport or Drivers license and use it to cruise,  they have one.  If you have let them take a frontward facing picture Without sunglasses or a hat of you at check-in, they also have one.

Edited by rimmit

7 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Bad news.  If you have a passport or Drivers license and use it to cruise,  they have one.  If you have let them take a frontward facing picture Without sunglasses or a hat of you at check-in, they also have one.

Nope not true....they do not as I alwas wear some glasses when they take it and look to the side.... 😁

4 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Nope not true....they do not as I alwas wear some glasses when they take it and look to the side.... 😁

Bad news there, their software is so advanced, that my daughter who was a whopping five months old at the time and it’s nearly a sideways profile, on her Passport Photo, Albeit does have both of her eyes, was able to match her up when she is now 3 1/2 years old.  The software is that good.

Bottom line, if they have a photo of you, they have biometrics.  To believe otherwise is to be very naïve.

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

Bad news there, their software is so advanced, that my daughter who was a whopping five months old at the time and it’s nearly a sideways profile, on her Passport Photo, Albeit does have both of her eyes, was able to match her up when she is now 3 1/2 years old.  The software is that good.

Bottom line, if they have a photo of you, they have biometrics.  To believe otherwise is to be very naïve.

Or maybe I just know what I am doing.... 🤔🤪

9 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

You are absolutely clueless.... 🙄

Biometric photo does not require a special camera. It is a simpley a photo, with some minimal clarity needed, and preferably a straight on picture, but there is some leeway I have found with that.

There is nothing “special” about a biometric photo other than that it can’t be a totally miserably unclear photo And needs to include the face.  

15 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

There is another term for "biometric picture"..... It's called a "PICTURE"! LOL!

Technically...no.  While RCI certainly has your picture and staff look at it when you board at each port, your full picture isn't saved for biometrics purposes.  The computer looks at key things like distance between eyes and size/shape of nose.  This is how you are uniquely identified and is what is stored...not your actual picture.  When you leave through CBD, they calculate these values on the spot and compare to what was stored previously.  Your face can't be recreated from this data.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Biometric photo does not require a special camera. It is a simpley a photo, with some minimal clarity needed, and preferably a straight on picture, but there is some leeway I have found with that.

There is nothing “special” about a biometric photo other than that it can’t be a totally miserably unclear photo And needs to include the face.  

Glasses and a hat will destroy it.... 🙄

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Technically...no.  While RCI certainly has your picture and staff look at it when you board at each port, your full picture isn't saved for biometrics purposes.  The computer looks at key things like distance between eyes and size/shape of nose.  This is how you are uniquely identified and is what is stored...not your actual picture.  When you leave through CBD, they calculate these values on the spot and compare to what was stored previously.  Your face can't be recreated from this data.

Yes,  the point in biometrics is that you are basically a number.  RCI pictures are clearly not use for biometric purposes. the point being is that they are taking a head-on shot typically with no glasses I and no hat.  If they wanted to start doing biometrics, they could start.  It would make boarding heck or a lot faster.

5 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Glasses and a hat will destroy it.... 🙄

Anybody with a phone these days, has access to Photoshop software that is advanced enough to remove glasses or a hat.

I am trusting you are not a terrorist,  but the point is,  in this day and age,  if someone wants a biometric shot of you,   They can get one.   Likely by just googling your name.  If you’ve ever had a yearbook photo, photo for work, or really anything,   It can be pulled and with some minor photoshopping to get the picture to what is needed it can be run.

And definitely if you’ve ever been through CBP they have one.  If you’ve been on a cruise you had to either present a DL or IF and birth certificate, or passport.  

So if you live in a bubble off the grid, do not travel or use the airlines, and are a vampire that can’t get a picture taken of you ever, then you may be able to say that they don’t have access to a biometric pic.