Amsterdam to Basel - which side?

AllisonJames

Does side of the boat matter on this trip?  There's currently cabin availability on both port and starboard, so I'm not sure which to choose.  Any advice on preference appreciated!  Also, does feet forward or head forward (bed position) matter?  Never been on a river cruise - assuming there might be more motion than on an ocean cruise?

I don't think side really matters. For the scenic part of the Rhine there are castles on both sides of the ship so you will want to be up top for that.

As to head of the bed, I think I've had both directions (as well as an Avalon panoramic cabin that faces out) and never thought about it.

There is very little motion on a river cruise ship, although the Rhine is a somewhat larger river than some of the others.

• Like 1

It will not matter at all on which side  your cabin is located,  because most likely you will do most of your "viewing" from either the top deck or the lounge, especially during in the scenic areas.  Better to decide whether one cabin is more desirable to you based on your preferences ( closer to lobby, cabin size for example).

Very little movement on the ship, regardless of moving or moored. Enjoy.

• Like 1

River ships always dock with the bow pointed upstream so that the current will flow around the ship.  If you can figure out which side of the river the majority of your ports are on, you will know which side of the ship is going to be against the quay.  OTOH, the other side of the ship may be rafted to another ship – which may be an even worse view than a concrete wall!

Pointing "upstream" will change which side of the dock you're on based on which side of the river you are.  And in one town, it seemed like we jogged up a short tributary to dock.  What my view was every morning was a surprise, as I really couldn't predict. We were port side going towards Basel, and I'd say half the time we had a great view, the other half we were against the dock or another ship.  I'm not sure trying to puzzle out which side is better at this point would be worth the time.

We like the port side but it's a personal preference.  I certainly wouldn't base my choice on any particular sight you want to see, like the castles on the Rhine.  You want to be on the top deck for that, not in your cabin.  And don't expect any great views of a city from the docks.