No longer required to pre-pay shore excursions

joll

We are  booked on the Diamond Princess for a cruise in Japan in May 2019.  When looking at the shore tours I was given the option of Pay before you sail or Pay later onboard.

On 4 February, after submitting a number of tours, my Cruise Personaliser shows my Confirmed Reservations and at the bottom it also states:

NEW - "You have the option to pay for shore excursions in advance of your cruise.  If you want, we will add the charges to your onboard account which is settled at the end of the cruise."

Is this a new (resurrected) policy by Princess???   I have posted this information on the Australian and New Zealand Cruisers Section of Cruise Critic but as no-one has raised this topic on the general Princess site, I am wondering if the two options for paying for shore excursions is available for all cruises and all passengers.

We are from Australia and this cruise was booked directly with Princess in Australia and will be Japan to Japan in USD.  Just for interest sake P&O Australia have also just reverted to this previous arrangement.  Perhaps they weren't getting enough early tour bookings - understandably when some passengers would be paying out hundreds/thousands of dollars for tours, sometimes months before paying final monies for the cruise. 

Edited by joll

Hi, 

I recently booked my shore excursions for a 12-day British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess for September. I was required to pay for the excursions. On the bright side, my shipboard credits were applied to the shore excursions.

Chuck

19 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Not saying we ever booked all that many Princess excursions anyway, but having us pay in advance pretty much assures we won't in the future.

I'm happy that they need a payment.  It keeps people from randomly taking slots away from people who really do want to go.

If I plan on doing it, the timing of the relatively small payments is meaningless.

1 minute ago, bemis12 said:

I'm happy that they need a payment.  It keeps people from randomly taking slots away from people who really do want to go.

If I plan on doing it, the timing of the relatively small payments is meaningless.

I do see that point of view, but then I've never cancelled one I booked either.

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

I’m in agreement. However well intentions are made, there’s a certain group that’ll decide last minute not to go. No risk. It’s got to be a nightmare for the planners. 

My upcoming cruise in October has 15 ports of call. I bought excursions for all of them through Princess. Now I don’t have to worry about costs. It’s much more convenient. 

Glenn