Use NCL Amex Offer for OBC purchase?

ClarkBHM

For those of you who have an AMEX card, there's a current deal

"Get a one-time $150 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $500+  to purchase a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line via NCL.com, by phone or NCL travel agents by 4/14/2019. See terms for exclusions. "

We've already booked our cruise elsewhere, but I'm wondering if a purchase of $500 OBC before the cruise would qualify for the $150 statement credit. Has anyone had experience with this? The terms don't specifically exclude this...

I bought NCL OBC with my Amex card last year. It worked just fine to get the reward. All they need to have is a $500 purchase from NCL.  That said, which amex card do you have? I usually have a similar NCL offer around this time each year, but I am not seeing it so far. Do you also have another offer listed as world's leading cruise lines... spend $500 with Carnival, Princess and a couple other cruise lines and get $100 back? 

30 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

I bought NCL OBC with my Amex card last year. It worked just fine to get the reward. All they need to have is a $500 purchase from NCL.  That said, which amex card do you have? 

Sounds like it's worth a try then. The card the offer is on is the older (grandfathered) version of the Blue Cash card. I note that the offer does not appear on either my Amex Hilton or Amex Delta cards.

37 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

I bought NCL OBC with my Amex card last year. It worked just fine to get the reward. All they need to have is a $500 purchase from NCL.  That said, which amex card do you have? I usually have a similar NCL offer around this time each year, but I am not seeing it so far. Do you also have another offer listed as world's leading cruise lines... spend $500 with Carnival, Princess and a couple other cruise lines and get $100 back? 

I've got World's Leading Cruise Lines, but no NCL offer. I check all the time but haven't seen it for a couple years now.

Granted, I redeemed the NCL offer twice in the past already (on my card and my wife's card, so 4x total). Maybe they've cut me off!

OBC purchase should work. A $500 payment on an existing reservation will also work.

The NCL credit of $100 when charge $500  appears on the platinum card. The credit is back on the card. I also had the World Cruises and used it to purchase a cruise on Princess for 2020, got 10,000 points ( $100) on the same card. Offers appear everyday.

3 minutes ago, dad son team said:

I wonder if that would work with onboard purchases?  I am boarding tomorrow and would buy come cruise next certs.  I know there was an online agency that had that promo for platinum cards, but in the fine print it said it didn't apply to Delta cards.

I don't think so. The terms specifically say "Excludes purchases onboard, Norwegian gift cards, shore excursions and transportation to and from the ship"

1 minute ago, ClarkBHM said:

I don't think so. The terms specifically say "Excludes purchases onboard, Norwegian gift cards, shore excursions and transportation to and from the ship"

Dang it.  This was starting to turn into a profitable trip.  I'm going the Epic so I've already got my cruise fare back in refund and credit, then with this and some cruise next certs, I would have another cheap cruise coming.  Oh well

5 hours ago, dad son team said:

I wonder if that would work with onboard purchases?  I am boarding tomorrow and would buy come cruise next certs.  I know there was an online agency that had that promo for platinum cards, but in the fine print it said it didn't apply to Delta cards.

Just buy OBC in advance and then use the OBC to get the cruise next certificates. 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:04 AM, Redheadmama said:

Does anyone have the back door link for adding this offer?

There is no back door link. You have to login to your AMEX account and check the Offers section.

Fastest way is through the mobile app.

I have AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and see that offer but don't think it is for all cards / accounts especially those where an AMEX card is issued from another bank.

If you have this, then its a great offer.

Within the last year, AMEX had about 3 or 4 of these for Carnival / Princess and I used it all 4 times for the same cruise all the way from deposit, to main payments, to shore excursions. Probably saved like $500 all together

On 2/18/2019 at 11:49 AM, beachitnow said:

Purchased $500 on board credit via the NCL website.  The day the transaction posted I also received the $150 credit.  Works like a charm.

Yes, I got mine as well, in essence paying $350 for $500 worth of refundable OBC.