Disembarkation on Nieuw Statendam

kaiiak

We will be traveling on the NS in April.  Our itinerary states disembarkation starts at 7am on a Sunday at Port Everglades.  How long does the process take? Booking return airfare and wondering what would be the earliest time of day for a return flight home.  I know there can be problems which may arise, which would inevitably mean a flight change, but what is the norm for getting off this ship?  Not interested in staying overnight as we all need to return to work and school on Monday barring any catastrophes.  

Thanks!

Disembarkation starts at 7:30 with the "Expedited" group first - subject to the government crap being completed by then.  It went right on time on Jan 30th, and I walked off the ship with all my luggage just after 7:30.  I was driving my car out of the off-site parking place I use (Park N Go) just before 8am.  People who do not opt for expedited select a time, with the earliest one being 7:45 if I"m not mistaken.

Sue/WDW1972

1 minute ago, wdw1972 said:

Disembarkation starts at 7:30 with the "Expedited" group first - subject to the government crap being completed by then.  It went right on time on Jan 30th, and I walked off the ship with all my luggage just after 7:30.  I was driving my car out of the off-site parking place I use (Park N Go) just before 8am.  People who do not opt for expedited select a time, with the earliest one being 7:45 if I"m not mistaken.

Sue/WDW1972

Great thank you. Sounds like it is pretty easy.  Wondering what the very dead last group time would be?

Last group is 9:30 AM although there are usually one or two that need to chased from their stateroom.  Security screening cannot start for the next cruise passengers until the ship is "zeroed" of all passengers (those also on the next cruise will be gathered and logged out either in the theater or in the terminal.

Edited by Crew News

The entire process takes about 3 hours.  The last people should be off by 9:30 to 10 AM.  If you can carry you own bags, you can sign up to leave at 7 AM.    If you tell the front desk you have an early flight, you will probably get in one of the early groups - probably off around 8-8:30.   

I was on the NS in Jan and we were delayed by 30 minutes for a power outage in the terminal and then by massive lines with immigration.   

I would not schedule a flight before noon.  

If you have Global Entry - you can bypass the long immigration line, but unlike arriving at an airport, you need to have your Global Entry card to gain access to the special line at FLL

10 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I'm thinking it was around 9 or so....maybe 9:15. I always do expedited to hit the road (driving), so I don't pay close attention.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks. Do you pay for expedited services or is it based on your star level? Have not cruised in 11 years so don't remember all the logistics!!

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I was on the NS in Jan and we were delayed by 30 minutes for a power outage in the terminal and then by massive lines with immigration.   

I was on the same cruise.  Along with the power outage, the ship had to be re-positioned along the pier at least once because of wind issues.  Gangway taken in, lines adjusted, etc.  When I disembarked, the scheduled disembarkation process was running one hour late.

When I did disembark, I engaged the services of a Porter and was able to bypass 98% of the long lines for immigration. 

9 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

The entire process takes about 3 hours.  The last people should be off by 9:30 to 10 AM.  If you can carry you own bags, you can sign up to leave at 7 AM.    If you tell the front desk you have an early flight, you will probably get in one of the early groups - probably off around 8-8:30.   

I would not schedule a flight before noon.  

If you have Global Entry - you can bypass the long immigration line, but unlike arriving at an airport, you need to have your Global Entry card to gain access to the special line at FLL

2 minutes ago, kaiiak said:

Thanks. Do you pay for expedited services or is it based on your star level? Have not cruised in 11 years so don't remember all the logistics!!

You will receive a letter during the cruise asking for your disembarkation preferred time.  No charge

Edited by Crew News

1 minute ago, kaiiak said:

Neither - anyone can sign up.  It just means you're able to handle all of your luggage yourself (carrying it off the ship).  That group gets off first, while they're still setting up the luggage in the terminal for passengers following to retrieve.  It also means the shortest lines at the customs/immigration stuff.  For years now I've carried all my luggage on & off the ship (I use a large carry on and a duffle/tote).  I never have to wait for my stuff to be delivered, it doesn't get tossed around, and I can unpack immediately upon boarding if I choose.  

Sue/WDW

• Like 1

Thanks. FLL has so many flights early in the AM and then late in the evening going to the West Coast, but hardly any mid-day that are nonstop or reasonably priced.  Normally we would stay overnight and fly out the next day but hubby just got a new job and doesn't want to take advantage of another day.  Seems like a long day if you are waiting around with luggage if we get one of the evening flights.

4 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Neither - anyone can sign up.  It just means you're able to handle all of your luggage yourself (carrying it off the ship).  That group gets off first, while they're still setting up the luggage in the terminal for passengers following to retrieve.  It also means the shortest lines at the customs/immigration stuff.  For years now I've carried all my luggage on & off the ship (I use a large carry on and a duffle/tote).  I never have to wait for my stuff to be delivered, it doesn't get tossed around, and I can unpack immediately upon boarding if I choose.  

Sue/WDW

Great thanks! BTW does WDW stand for Walt Disney World? Do you work there? I'm a former Disneyland cast member and now my oldest son works there! :)

Just now, kaiiak said:

Thanks. FLL has so many flights early in the AM and then late in the evening going to the West Coast, but hardly any mid-day that are nonstop or reasonably priced.  Normally we would stay overnight and fly out the next day but hubby just got a new job and doesn't want to take advantage of another day.  Seems like a long day if you are waiting around with luggage if we get one of the evening flights.

That is true, but there's always the possibility the ship could run into a problem and get into port late or get cleared late - just something to think about.  I think I've done 25 HAL cruises, mostly from FLL (Port Everglades actually....not the airport <g>), and at least once there was a mechanical/engine problem that affected our speed on the last day and it was announced we'd be arriving several hours later.  Guests who booked air through HAL had nothing to worry about - HAL changed their flights at no cost.  Those who booked independently were on their own - HAL sold some smaller internet packages so they could go online (this was back when internet was sold by the minute).  I heard several people talk about $500/person fare increases plus change fees.  Then we were delayed further - felt bad for those people....and the ones waiting to board for the next cruise (also delayed).  Yes, hanging around an airport is no fun, but consider doing an excursion if you book a later flight.

Sue/WDW1972

1 minute ago, kaiiak said:

Great thanks! BTW does WDW stand for Walt Disney World? Do you work there? I'm a former Disneyland cast member and now my oldest son works there! 🙂

No - just very frequent guest & Disney Vacation Club member.  We're currently living only 2 hours away, so long weekends are easy to do!  Love Disneyland - only been there twice, and the last trip was just before California Adventure opened.  

Sue

3 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

That is true, but there's always the possibility the ship could run into a problem and get into port late or get cleared late - just something to think about.  I think I've done 25 HAL cruises, mostly from FLL (Port Everglades actually....not the airport <g>), and at least once there was a mechanical/engine problem that affected our speed on the last day and it was announced we'd be arriving several hours later.  Guests who booked air through HAL had nothing to worry about - HAL changed their flights at no cost.  Those who booked independently were on their own - HAL sold some smaller internet packages so they could go online (this was back when internet was sold by the minute).  I heard several people talk about $500/person fare increases plus change fees.  Then we were delayed further - felt bad for those people....and the ones waiting to board for the next cruise (also delayed).  Yes, hanging around an airport is no fun, but consider doing an excursion if you book a later flight.

Sue/WDW1972

Yes I totally get it. We had the flight from hell last May on Jet Blue to New York and had to circle over the SouthEast for hours and had to land after 8 hours to refuel, stuck on the plane for a total of 11 hours, ultimately canceled, the remainder of the flight, then stuck in an airport in Virginia til 2 am til they found us all a cheap motel to stay in.  Missed our older son's college graduation from NYU the following day at Yankee Stadium because they delayed even further.  So I understand last minute emergencies, but trying to gauge what the norm is. Yes I live about 10-15 minutes from Disneyland in Fullerton, CA.  We have annual passes and visit monthly and stay at the resort every few years. Still want to go to WDW someday. 

2 minutes ago, freestyling said:

If you dont have carry on / off bags I’d suggest using HAL’s luggage direct service. There is a slight cost. You dont see your bags until your final destination. Also you get a 7:30 disembarkation slot. You can read about the service via the link below.

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland

I have done that on the Maasdam.  Worked well.  The only downside was the need to disembark so early.

• Like 1