Serenade Questions...

We are looking at taking a 7 day cruise on Serenade this fall out of Boston.  Our last two cruises and my wife’s only cruises were on Oasis. I’ve been on DCL Magic twice and my first cruise was on Nordic Empress before she became Empress of the Seas. I’m excited that she is open to a smaller ship but I am just curious about the 7 day Bermuda cruise out of Boston.  

How are are the port facilities in Boston?  We will drive from Connecticut. 

Does the Park Cafe have the Roast Beef sandwiches?

What is the cruise demographic?

What condition is the Serenade?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. 

1 hour ago, CTCruiser74 said:

We are looking at taking a 7 day cruise on Serenade this fall out of Boston.  Our last two cruises and my wife’s only cruises were on Oasis. I’ve been on DCL Magic twice and my first cruise was on Nordic Empress before she became Empress of the Seas. I’m excited that she is open to a smaller ship but I am just curious about the 7 day Bermuda cruise out of Boston.  

How are are the port facilities in Boston?  We will drive from Connecticut. 

Does the Park Cafe have the Roast Beef sandwiches?

What is the cruise demographic?

What condition is the Serenade?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. 

We have traveled on the Serenade a few times to Canada, and throughly enjoy the smaller ship.  We are taking the Bermuda cruise this year.  The port facilities in Boston are great.  We always arrive later, between 12:30pm and 1:00pm, and the terminal is not crowded and it only takes about 30 minutes to get onto the ship.

I expect the Bermuda cruise will attract a similar group as the Canada cruise this time of year.  The demographic is older over 50 crowd, and most are experienced cruisers.  They know what to expect and the atmosphere is relaxed.  People are very much at home on the ship.  The shows are excellent, it is not a problem to get a seat.   The crew told me they enjoy the Boston crowd.   

The Serenade was in great shape last September the last time we were on.  This ship did get most of the "upgrades" a few years ago.  Most were not popular like taking away a complimentary restaurant Sea View cafe at the top of the ship.  Though we enjoyed a wonderful Japanese meal at Izumi (a la carte)  last year that replaced it.   The put new cabins in place of  public areas, and used others as the Diamond and Concierge Lounge only open to some cruisers.  

We enjoy the ship just the same and are looking forward to the Bermuda cruise this year.  

5 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

We have traveled on the Serenade a few times to Canada, and throughly enjoy the smaller ship.  We are taking the Bermuda cruise this year.  The port facilities in Boston are great.  We always arrive later, between 12:30pm and 1:00pm, and the terminal is not crowded and it only takes about 30 minutes to get onto the ship.

I expect the Bermuda cruise will attract a similar group as the Canada cruise this time of year.  The demographic is older over 50 crowd, and most are experienced cruisers.  They know what to expect and the atmosphere is relaxed.  People are very much at home on the ship.  The shows are excellent, it is not a problem to get a seat.   The crew told me they enjoy the Boston crowd.   

The Serenade was in great shape last September the last time we were on.  This ship did get most of the "upgrades" a few years ago.  Most were not popular like taking away a complimentary restaurant Sea View cafe at the top of the ship.  Though we enjoyed a wonderful Japanese meal at Izumi (a la carte)  last year that replaced it.   The put new cabins in place of  public areas, and used others as the Diamond and Concierge Lounge only open to some cruisers.  

We enjoy the ship just the same and are looking forward to the Bermuda cruise this year.  

Thank you!  The more I read, the more I get excited about it. The only thing that will be a drawback is no warm weather departing in October from Boston. It is hit or miss.  

Boston's cruise port is fine.  Right across from Logan airport.  No tents or anything like that, multiple terminal buildings to service multiple ships. "Flynn" cruise port if I recall correctly.  Google it.

Park cafe does have roast beef sandwiches.   They don't call them Kümmelweck, but pretty much the same.

Demographic will depend on sail date.  If kids are in school you are less likely to find families with children.    

Serenade is in fine condition.  Like Brilliance she has the updated lighting in the Centrum and Vintages with amazing sea views. 

Make no mistake, Radiance class ships are roughly one third the size of Oasis class so they don't have the same features.  No flow rider, no Studio B, no Promenade, no zip line, no Central Park, no Boardwalk, etc.   

Helipad is open to the public unless windy, Windjammer has an outdoor seating area on the aft that in warm weather is a great place to sit and eat a meal.  Small movie theater next to the pub (unique to Radiance class).  Covered, retractable roof in the adult only Solarium may allow kids in during cold weather at times.  Research the ship, know the deck plans.  

Known for views of the sea.  Great views from Vintages, Schooner Bar and Centrum glass elevators.  

Sailed her twice in 2018.  No complaints.

Centrum:

ZnNdJYM.jpg

TGOsJfd.jpg

Pub:

gHbmxNt.jpg

Solarium:

KfP0GN9.jpg

2DU4ygQ.jpg

pkMu7Cm.jpg

ETA2q2j.jpg

HT1fWoD.jpg

Park cafe in Solarium:

gnzOx2J.jpg

QKl9c78.jpg

Pooldeck:

h3QaYa5.jpg

tjMRMG3.jpg

Helipad:

OmqByCh.jpg

aO5ZPrX.jpg

oO6OuWk.jpg

MDR:

GbdMWUB.jpg

Windjammer outdoor seating:

M2Q13ya.jpg

VGWpkZd.jpg

Rotating Viking Crown Lounge Bar:

FH3XMcs.jpg

sLRdbYw.jpg

Deck 7 balcony cabin:

4aht43K.jpg

GS2krHO.jpg

sdanYqz.jpg

qRLhYHY.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CTCruiser74 said:

Thank you!  The more I read, the more I get excited about it. The only thing that will be a drawback is no warm weather departing in October from Boston. It is hit or miss.  

Sailed over 200 nites on Serenade, doing another 26nites this Fall. Beautiful ship.  This Class of ship was designed to have the best of Vision Class and Voyager Class. I'm 53 and usually less then 50 younger then me sailing out of Boston. Pretty consistent mid 50's in Oct Boston, I've sailed 5 out of last 6yrs and as said weather is hit/miss. WindJammer Dinner food is some best, choice, taste and presentation. Has really improved over what was few yrs ago, even Pizza is so good eat it almost every day. They even served Salmon and a whole roast Pig at lunch... 

We did Serenade out of Boston on Sept. 26, 2018 to Bermuda.  I've sailed out of Boston before on NCL and have no issues with the port - easy drop off of luggage and then to either surface parking lot or garage - this trip the lot was closed and we used the garage.  Got there at 10:45 AM and were on ship a few minutes after 11.  This was the first time I had sailed on RCI, my favorite line is Celebrity so I did find a few of the things I liked were missing (the complimentary glass of champagne boarding, the very nice Cafe el Bacio, fresh flowers) but nothing that seriously impacted the cruise.  My niece and her boyfriend (both 30) and I (way more than 30<g>) agreed that we did not care at all for the windjammer at breakfast and lunch - thought it was very disappointing, however we thought main dining room was fine.  Satisfied enough to have done a second RC cruise a few weeks ago on Anthem out of Bayonne.  I'm from CT, too, and frequently just look for cruises out of ports that are driving distance - kind of limits itineraries, but I just enjoy the experience of being on board.  I'm sure you'll enjoy Serenade, it was a very pretty ship.

11 minutes ago, CTSandy said:

We did Serenade out of Boston on Sept. 26, 2018 to Bermuda.  I've sailed out of Boston before on NCL and have no issues with the port - easy drop off of luggage and then to either surface parking lot or garage - this trip the lot was closed and we used the garage.  Got there at 10:45 AM and were on ship a few minutes after 11.  This was the first time I had sailed on RCI, my favorite line is Celebrity so I did find a few of the things I liked were missing (the complimentary glass of champagne boarding, the very nice Cafe el Bacio, fresh flowers) but nothing that seriously impacted the cruise.  My niece and her boyfriend (both 30) and I (way more than 30<g>) agreed that we did not care at all for the windjammer at breakfast and lunch - thought it was very disappointing, however we thought main dining room was fine.  Satisfied enough to have done a second RC cruise a few weeks ago on Anthem out of Bayonne.  I'm from CT, too, and frequently just look for cruises out of ports that are driving distance - kind of limits itineraries, but I just enjoy the experience of being on board.  I'm sure you'll enjoy Serenade, it was a very pretty ship.

What was the weather like in Bermuda and when were you able to enjoy the outdoor decks on th ship enroute?

Weather was fine - a little overcast one of the sea days heading to Bermuda, but fine beach weather.  I bought the kids one day bus passes on my May Bermuda cruise and they spent one entire day touring the island and beaches with the passes.  I usually cruise to Bermuda once or twice each year, so I just took the ferry to St. George one day and spent some time walking around there, plus a short visit through the Dockyard.  First sea day was a little cool but the solarium was great, rest of the trip was fine.  Second day we had breakfast on my balcony and it was sunny and comfortable.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

HT1fWoD.jpg

First of all, thank you so much for sharing all those wonderful pictures. 

secondly, I think that's the first time I've EVER seen a radiance class ship with the roof retracted in the solarium and I've spent 22 days on Jewel Of The Seas.

Lastly, do you have any reviews of Radiance Class ships you've done? would love to see more of your pictures.... I'm going on Brilliance in a few months 🙂

1 hour ago, pilotboy1985 said:

Lastly, do you have any reviews of Radiance Class ships you've done? would love to see more of your pictures.... I'm going on Brilliance in a few months 🙂

On some other site we are not allowed to mention I blogged about Radiance this past August.  I just sailed Brilliance a couple weeks ago.  Brilliance and Serenade are very similar, both updated more recently.  Radiance has yet to have the Centrum lighting update.  I didn't take a lot of pictures on Brilliance and could use many of my Serenade pictures without anyone knowing any better.  No complaints about Brilliance.

20 hours ago, pilotboy1985 said:

First of all, thank you so much for sharing all those wonderful pictures. 

secondly, I think that's the first time I've EVER seen a radiance class ship with the roof retracted in the solarium and I've spent 22 days on Jewel Of The Seas.

Been in serenade almost everyday for the past 20 days and the roof has been open when ever weather allows.  If it is raining or windy, roof has been closed. Even went in one morning roof was closed because of rain, then later it was retracted when I went back for a dip.