What did you do to Cagneys Mr Stuart?

Postman1963

I think Cagney's is the one restaurant that took the biggest hit after NCL included Specialty Dining packages included with the cruise fare.   As soon as Specialty Dining was built into the price, the whole Cagney's experience took a nose dive.      

I would never pay individually $25 pp or whatever the price is now for Cagney's.    Before Cagney's was a highlight, now I'd rather pay to eat at the sushi bar or the noodle restaurant.   

• Like 1

Just off the Sun and first time as Platinum.  Asked about increased prices in both Cagneys and Le Bistro.  In Cagneys there is a limit of $25 for the main meal and a side.  So if the main meal was $23 and a side $4, they charged you $2.

In Le Bistro the limit was also $25 but the main meal included a side.  We went with Le Bistro because we liked their crown lamb better than Cagneys lamb chops.

My fiancee and I went to Cagneys on the Getaway in August. This was my first NCL cruise and I was excited because I had heard a lot of good things. However, Cagneys was by far the absolute worst meal I had on board. The steak was mediocre at best and the pork belly was inedible. I also couldn't believe the size of the side of broccoli. Two relatively small pieces of broccoli apparently constitutes a side. 

Overall, I was very happy with the rest of my meals on the Getaway, however this meal was an absolute disappointment. Going on the Escape in June and I'm considering trying it again, but I feel like I'd be safer with one of the other dining options.

I never cared for the truffle oil  taste the Cagney's fries have.  Wish they would'a  had a truffle and non truffle option.  That being said, I do not go to Cagney's due to the fries.  I get a rib eye, and they will always strive to make you happy if you tell them you are not happy.  I once had a grisly steak, I said so.  They brought me another that was perfect.

I book Cagney's for the first night and last night.  I love that place.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, bigherky said:

I also couldn't believe the size of the side of broccoli. Two relatively small pieces of broccoli apparently constitutes a side. 

If I am not mistaken, the sides are refillable or endless.  I always got seconds if I ask.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, Vyhanek said:

I think Cagney's is the one restaurant that took the biggest hit after NCL included Specialty Dining packages included with the cruise fare.   As soon as Specialty Dining was built into the price, the whole Cagney's experience took a nose dive.      

I would never pay individually $25 pp or whatever the price is now for Cagney's.    Before Cagney's was a highlight, now I'd rather pay to eat at the sushi bar or the noodle restaurant.   

Agree. You can get a better experience at a Ruth's Chris or Morton's on land for about the same price. No value here, anymore, and quality is often times poor.

10 hours ago, NH Cruisers said:

If I am not mistaken, the sides are refillable or endless.  I always got seconds if I ask.

We were on the Dawn just a few weeks ago: you are right, sides are included and as many as you want or at least none of us were charged extra. So anyone who feels here wasn't enough veggies or whatever could ask for more. 

We ate at Cagney's on Escape over Thanksgiving week last year, and also on Getaway earlier in the year.   Neither was a memorable meal in a good way.  On Getaway I think I had to send my steak back as it was seriously overdone.  On Escape the food was just ok, and even the side dishes were seriously overdone.  Yes we could have asked for something else, but needed to keep things moving.  I did appreciate that on Escape they moved things along since we had a show, but the food was nothing great at all.   We had a second dinner reservation for Cagney's for later in the cruise and changed it to Teppanyaki.  Which is disappointing because Cagney's used to be excellent.  Sadly, I don't think NCL's current management cares enough to change things for the better.  

14 hours ago, NH Cruisers said:

I never cared for the truffle oil  taste the Cagney's fries have.  Wish they would'a  had a truffle and non truffle option.  That being said, I do not go to Cagney's due to the fries.  I get a rib eye, and they will always strive to make you happy if you tell them you are not happy.  I once had a grisly steak, I said so.  They brought me another that was perfect.

I book Cagney's for the first night and last night.  I love that place.

I agree about the truffle oil on the fries.  I was never a fan.  But, I'm not a fries aficionado, either.

Everything else has been fine.  And yes, they will go out of their way to make you happy with your meal if you let them.  

We were on the Bliss for back to back cruises in December. Cagney's was a disappointment but I don't blame the staff on the Bliss because in my opinion the free dining perk and the dining packages have created a tremendous problem for the servers and the chef's. To me if you had a choice to eat at say Los Lobos where the entree's are about $10 or Cagney's where they are about $25 and not even counting appetizers and desert so to me human nature says go to Cagney's. We ate at Cagney's 3 times first time we both had to send our steaks back and took a long time to get them back. Second time was better but steaks were still not cooked correctly but didn't want the delay to send them back. Third time we ordered the shrimp skewers after an hour without seeing them we got up and left. I am not blaming anyone on the ship but NCL has created in my opinion a problem with the staff to keep up with the demand. We will be on the Bliss again next month for a 15 night cruise and will try Cagney's again and I think because of the length of the cruise Cagney's will be much better. Just my opinion and I do respect the staff on the Bliss.

30 plus cruises and we only eat at specialty restaurants. I have never ever gotten a decent steak from Cagney's so I just don't order steak anymore and usually settle for seafood. 
As for the fries they used to have truffle oil now they not only frozen but they taste like cardboard.

I get a better steak every time at Le Bistro, hands down.

1 hour ago, FranknBeans said:

30 plus cruises and we only eat at specialty restaurants. I have never ever gotten a decent steak from Cagney's so I just don't order steak anymore and usually settle for seafood. 
As for the fries they used to have truffle oil now they not only frozen but they taste like cardboard.

I get a better steak every time at Le Bistro, hands down.

Good point and same experience for me

with the beef in le bistro. Always been very good.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, Nola26 said:

Ah, McDonald's has been built on fries. Gordon Biersch is known for their garlic fries and in my home town Chicky & Pete's crab fries are legendary. Don't sleep on fries as a way to get customers in the door. 

I have been trying to decide between Cagney's and Le Bistro, this thread supports my plan for Le Bistro, thanks.

Le Bistro HANDS DOWN!  ;)  By far my favorite specialty restaurant.  :)

4 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

While we don't eat at Mc Donald's but from my younger days I think i would be happier with their fries verses whats now being served.

oh i would be very happy if the cruise ships had mcdonalds on board i would eat there every meal.  the coffee, shakes, fries, sausage mcmuffins, hamburgers, nuggets, quarter pounder with cheese, etc..., the list is endless, i love mcdonalds!

Twe were on the BA last week and Cagneys was awful.  All the glassware had a distinctly fishy smell, the spoon I received for my bisque was a serving Spoon - not a tablespoon or soup spoon but a huge serving spoon.   Like a previous poster, the crab cake was very cold, the bisque had a sheen and tasted more like a fish chowder a reeked of fish broth.    I had ordered fish and it was so very salty I could not eat but two bites.  DHs steak was very smal and mostly hunks of fat.

weve always enjoyed Cagneys but this was our first time on one of the big ships, and I was nt impressed at all. 😩

On 2/17/2019 at 11:35 PM, Postman1963 said:

The star of Cagneys was the fries.  They have changed to something from the frozen food aisle.

The T bone almost requires a chainsaw to cut.  

We tried Cagneys for the first time 2 years ago and we were underwhelmed, the fact we had to pay for each side was also a turn off...The steak was ok, but i have had better steaks in the main dining room. We now just use our free dinner voucher for Moderno and Le Bistro, i don't think we will go to Cagneys again. I really liked the layered chocolate cake though :-)....

Edited by spanishguy1970

35 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We tried Cagneys for the first time 2 years ago and we were underwhelmed, the fact we had to pay for each side was also a turn off...The steak was ok, but i have had better steaks in the main dining room. We now just use our free dinner voucher for Moderno and Le Bistro, i don't think we will go to Cagneys again. I really liked the layered chocolate cake though :-)....

yeah we are just so different, we loved the salad bar at the moderno but did not particularly think the meats were that great, so next time we will go to town on the salad bar with just a few samples of meat.

It seems to me that the whole Cagneys "experience" has been reduced to a fancy MDR.  When my wife and I started cruising

we would plan our days around when we were going to dine in Cagneys.  Our planning is now much easier now that we will

not be eating in this once beloved restaurant any more.

AJ

10 hours ago, Postman1963 said:

Cagneys has been an example of Medicare for all...Open it up to everyone and quality and service will suffer.  

AJ

??? what, come one, Just let the government pay for it, they have a lot of money, There is no reason why my student loans should not be paid off by the government, as well as my starbucks, netflix, apple phones, car, apartment, etc.  The government has plenty of money, people who dont want to work  (like me) should not have to, THAT IS MY RIGHT.  For those that do want to work, you can only have a job at a recycling campus, no big business ever - jobs that are created by business people are devil jobs that will destroy mankind. No way I will let you come into my neighborhood to create  jobs,  I know what I am talking about because i saw  it is on youtube and the facebook and the twitter.

Edited by Newleno