Mariner - Bangkok to Hong Kong, 2/19 -3/19/19

forgap

Your pictures bring back memories of our trip to China, though we didn't go to Xi'an.  I wanted to see the warriors, but it would have added another 2 days to the trip, and I was already at the max of what I can take off at a time.  Plus, I had heard that Xi'an was one of the worst polluted cities in China, which is saying a lot since everywhere we went seemed terribly polluted.

We are sitting in the airport lounge waiting for our departure to SFO and then to ATL.  I want to finish up with the Xi’an trip and then our impressions of Hong Kong.  I promise that that will be the end of this LONG slog of a blog!  

Xi’an - Day Three

We were fortunate to have a 9 am meet up time but we had to be packed and ready to go for our flight to Hong Kong.   Our itinerary today was to visit th Shanxi Museum along with what seemed like the entire population of Xi’an.  

Ny

We had been warned but exhibits are diminished in my eyes when you have to elbow through a crowd 6 deep.   Fortunately, Alice, our local guide, had arranged for us to visit a special area where excavated tomb paintings from royal tombs dating from approximately 500 AD are housed.  We donned booties and put away our cameras as photos were prohibited and the light was dim to preserve the artifacts.  There was hardly anyone in this area which made the visit extra special.  

The artistry of the paintings was extraordinary with beautiful use of line, color, and perspective.   To give you an example, these are photos I found on the Internet:  

9B672663-B402-411C-8065-B96D92AC26B5.jpeg.3251d5a0535c223535b1a639322a3705.jpeg

2FDA0D26-29DA-4774-9097-4D30C7F8211D.jpeg.d30d7ffaeb0366efbc081b1c34532455.jpeg

My one complaint of the tour was that we kind of rushed through this section only to be given 45 minutes of free time after we left the secured area.  In retrospect, I would have spent all my time here.    But, I did get to see art students replicating artifacts in an exhibit on the Silk Road.

52F2809F-F801-40F9-959A-943209B8ED9B.thumb.jpeg.2ac755e9dd9263783d9ae59c43155930.jpeg

We had to leave the museum precisely on time to go to a local hot pot restaurant as our departure to the airport was to be precisely at 12:30.  The restaurant was wonderful with copious amounts of food (again!)

Y

5E7FDE49-4924-441B-8E03-38A4805D94DD.thumb.jpeg.c42de9625f9671c206884ef5d0f7c8d7.jpeg

Beautiful table before we started:

A1C7CB22-C8E1-4000-99AD-63A6DACFEE67.thumb.jpeg.0c1f227ae2ffad4532d66f7417a8fcc2.jpeg

Less beautiful table after we finished, but Katie is smiling!

553643E1-F03C-44EF-91C3-2EAB153FD35C.thumb.jpeg.4b84221fe780b6c9f526280982dcf701.jpeg

We got to the airport and through security without incident but we did have to run the security gauntlet.  I will NEVER complain about TSA again!    On arrival we entered the airport and passed through explosive screening into a cordoned off corral. When no explosives were found in our group, we were allowed to enter the arrivals area.  At check in our checked bags were taken and immediately went through X-ray screening.  Ours, along with many passengers, were kicked back out for a search.  My offense?   A spare camera battery that I had to carry on rather than put in checked baggage!  Then onto initial passport check and X-ray of hand baggage.  Then onto passport control.  Then onto another X-ray of hand baggage which had to go through twice as jewelry has to come out of the bag along with iPhone and iPad (who knew?) plus a pat down that rivaled my annual physical.  One of our fellow passengers, a delightful Scottish gentleman, quipped that I should request to go through it again (I found this funny not offensive!).

We got to Hong Kong without a problem and checked into the Shangri-La hotel by 9pm.  It was a long day and an intensive trip to China but, without doubt, one of the best tours we have ever taken.  

We are finally home after two uneventful flights.  I think that United’s Dreamliner business class is my new favorite with very confortable lie flat seats and nice pillows and bedding.  The flight from SFO tp ATL, on the other hand,  was like being on an aging Greyhound bus.  But, I slept the whole way, which, unfortunately, meant that I slept about 4 hours total last night and I’ve been knocking around the house since 2 am!

Our last three days of the trip were in Hong Kong which we spent recovering from the port intensive cruise and equally intense post-cruise.  

A04C5DD8-E5D8-4CBC-BAD7-A76ED6EFB945.thumb.jpeg.a3ff9cd39db952220abf11dc45c04a5f.jpeg

Our plan was to check out of the Shangri-La at the last possible moment and take a cab to the Intercontinental which is not that far away but imposssible to walk it toting luggage.   Cabs are cheap in Hong Kong, anyway.  The Shanghai-La was a very nice hotel, large rooms, and a great multi-national breakfast we have grown to expect.  The dining room was a bit chaotic with about 150 Regent passengers transitioning to home or elsewhere.  At this point in any vacation, we were ready to be on our own - no more early wake ups, no more busses, no more fellow passengers!  

The Intercontinental is a wonderful hotel.  The hallways are scented with jasmine - a sense memory I will always keep with me!  We upgraded to the Club level which I would recommend.  It includes breakfast, tea, and cocktails.  The small plates served are delicious and feature both Asian and western flavors.  How can you refuse Perrier-Jouet champagne every evening?   They also had fun cocktail and mocktail choices - one I particularly liked was a riff on a gin and tonic served up in a martini glass:  Bombay gin, tonic, lime, and peppercorns.  

The public rooms face the waterfront and the hotel is right on the Avenue of the Stars.  

F23F4B50-F5F4-4B91-BFFC-D3829EE0D7C0.thumb.jpeg.4a006214ccb450617dfd50722618d1d6.jpeg

It is ground zero for the nightly “Symphony of Lights”.  

DC881D34-2AA9-4A19-8939-5F78EF85830A.thumb.jpeg.87839a7c0b4a76a004424ff9a05d8bef.jpeg

The guest rooms are spacious and well appointed with service that is both invisible and personal - lavender spay for the pillow, a bookmark placed in my book on the bedside table, toiletries arranged on towels on the bathroom sink.  But, the best feature - an Infiniti jacuzzi the size of a swimming pool, overlooking the harbor with three temperature levels - hot, warm, and icy cold!  

971D813B-E6A3-41D7-B5B1-F3B05F05D647.thumb.jpeg.c1577a7e542f06b294d0ab9f66213e22.jpeg

We decided to spend our time in Hong Kong as “sea days”.  That meant no fixed schedule, no tours, no sites.  We just walked around, shopped, and ate!  Here are my Hong Kong tidbits:

Take the Star Ferry to Hong Kong.  It’s easy and fun. 1FDDD41E-2624-4B58-9C61-7D94E0935246.thumb.jpeg.657e5fe38ddc0b3acd7b8b32b588fb48.jpeg

Pedestrian walkways connect to malls and streets.  We muddled around trying to find the mid level escalator, found it, then just spent an enjoyable hour drinking beer in a cafe!  

809DF410-099E-4D44-B616-3622FD2A60E3.thumb.jpeg.ea0f82186666de1590b4f0b2fef420ea.jpeg

3C250298-93E7-475E-9CC5-6BDC244D1AA4.thumb.jpeg.961a4f734484a0a7d6cfd31cce80b24a.jpeg

Sunday in Hong Kong has an interesting tradition.  We noticed groups of women sitting in makeshift card board rooms on the walkways.  They were chatting, singing karaoke, painting their nails, and eating.  I asked a guard and he explained that Filipino domestic workers congregate in Central Hong Kong on Sundays as a way to relax and maintain their friendships and sense of community.  Malaysian workers do the same in the Causeway Bay Area.  

360CC287-D396-4BBC-A266-8A29608F71BB.thumb.jpeg.2f033eb2d89196af4354bc33fc44d42d.jpeg

We also saw a moving memorial/protest to bring attention to the many Chinese woman who were used as sex slaves by the Japanese during WWII. 

F436C9A8-7373-4181-ABB6-2AEC1E950E4E.thumb.jpeg.ab5889893c4f9ddbea17c32f9d9e0f4d.jpeg

Finally, the most delightful thing about Hong Kong was the use of a particular aspect of Feng Shui.  Architects design building with large holes in them that waste valuable real estate footage and seem to defy the integrity of the building.  Why?  Hong Kong has naturally good feng shui.  It faces the water and is protected by mountains behind and across from it. Legend holds that dragons live in the mountains and hold positive and powerful energy. This energy flows through Hong Kong daily as the dragons make their way from the mountains to the sea to drink and bathe.  Thus the holes so the buildings don’t block the journey of the dragons!  

77D08130-BF88-45E0-8305-8495100C1E0C.thumb.jpeg.41d7cd4206af9b445629012620d73840.jpeg

This is the end of my blog.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have for me.  I appreciate all the positive feedback.  Thanks you for following along!  

CBD0C0AE-90DD-42B3-A8C9-932A9C41C3C2.thumb.jpeg.2bb5d3e44150de642749c5a92a5d8c0c.jpeg

Edited by forgap
  • Like 3

I have loved every minute - thank you so much for taking us with you!!   I especially enjoyed Xian and Hong Kong - I think the Intercontinental Hotel used to be the Regent?  That view is certainly so familiar and I recognise the pool too.

Enjoy the delights of home.  I understood exactly what you meant:  "we were ready to be on our own - no more early wake ups, no more busses, no more fellow passengers!"    Much as we love our Regent days, we are usually ready to move on at the end of our cruise!  I hope this one was really the great experience it seemed to be from your accounts here and memorable for all the right reasons.

Where next?!  😉  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Where next?!  😉  

Ha!   Europe in June to see family and two cruises booked with Regent:  2020 is Norway and the Arctic on Navigator and 2021 is Tokyo to Vancouver on Explorer after a land trip in Japan.   I’m currently too jet lagged to be excited!  

• Like 2

Awww...  @forgap  I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I asked "where next" 😉  But like us, you have more tickets in the box and that makes coming home so much easier too, doesn't it?  (though it's a good job we forget the joys of jet lag or we might never go anywhere!)     Anyway, it's good to know that we can take you on a recce for 2021 shortly....but sorry our paths don't look likely to cross any time soon 😞   (unless our flights in June cross mid Atlantic as you fly east and we fly west!?)

• Like 1

@forgap  - thanks for bringing us along on your cruise - I feel like you saved me about $45K since I traveled with you on this trip.   :classic_biggrin:

We still hope to get to Asia soon - but I dread the flight, especially from the eastern side of 'Murica.  Seeing your photos really whetted my appetite, though - thanks again for taking the time to post!!

Edited by UUNetBill
Added link highlight

1 hour ago, forgap said:

Ha!   Europe in June to see family and two cruises booked with Regent:  2020 is Norway and the Arctic on Navigator and 2021 is Tokyo to Vancouver on Explorer after a land trip in Japan.   I’m currently too jet lagged to be excited!  

We have both these cruises booked also. I have so enjoyed your trip reports and wonderful pictures and look forward to meeting the author and photographer! We also will add time in Tokyo, as we lived there for 4 years and want to visit friends and rekindle memories. Glad you had a good trip and are home safely.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, briar14 said:

We also will add time in Tokyo, as we lived there for 4 years

Coincidences always amaze me.  I lived in Japan for four years as a teenager and can’t wait to return to see the changes.  We traveled extensively in the Far East and Hong Kong, for example,  was unrecognizable after 50 years, which I’m sure will be the same for Japan!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

@forgap  - thanks for bringing us along on your cruise - I feel like you saved me about $45K since I traveled with you on this trip.   :classic_biggrin:

We still hope to get to Asia soon - but I dread the flight, especially from the eastern side of 'Murica.  Seeing your photos really whetted my appetite, though - thanks again for taking the time to post!!

It can be easy to fly to Asia.  For instance, if you fly to NYC -  spend the night - eat some great food and then take a non-stop flight to Hong Kong (about 16 hours).  The lie flat seats are wonderful - quite good food for an airline and great service.  They even have a 1:30 a.m. flight so you could fly from home to NYC - change planes and then do the non-stop part.  

For us, eating, having a few drinks and then an Ambient to sleep for a few hours does the trick.  

10 hours ago, forgap said:

We will see you in 2021, but we are starting in Hong Kong.  I am copying all  of your information in a word program for future use.

• Like 1

Happy to hear your home safe and sound, resting.  Really was a great trip report have to say I really liked forward everyday, disappointed a little having to wait for the next report.  But I think you for all the time you took out of you holiday so others could enjoy your trip. Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

Thank you all for the lovely comments.   I really enjoy photographic storytelling and it helps to jot down my impressions in real time.  When I am home, I transfer this narrative to an Internet-based blog site (Travelerspoint Travel Community) so I can always go back and remind myself of the whole trip.  It is amazing how one forgets so many details of a trip as time passes!  I’ll post the link when I’m finished.

i have been reading the “live” reports on CC for years and I usually search for them to reread when we are doing the same itinerary.  I’m a big fan of Wes, Rich, Gilly, Squeeze, and Rachel, to name a few of my favorite authors!  

Thanks again for following along! 

Jennifer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, forgap said:

We are excited to also be on the Explorer from Tokyo to Vancouver. Did Alaska on the Mariner fall 2018 and it was our best trip to Alaska. Wonderful excursions from Regent! All you can eat crab in one of the ports for lunch. Great whale watching and we spotted bald eagles.

Looks like a lot of fun in Japan. Never have been to Tokyo--the 3 days there clinched it for us.

22 hours ago, sassyw said:

We are excited to also be on the Explorer from Tokyo to Vancouver. Did Alaska on the Mariner fall 2018 and it was our best trip to Alaska. Wonderful excursions from Regent! All you can eat crab in one of the ports for lunch. Great whale watching and we spotted bald eagles.

Reminds me of our first trip to Alaska - day one was like, (way off in the distance, using a long zoom lens) "Look!!  Bald eagles!!" 

By day 7 it was more like, "Huh, some more eagles."   :classic_laugh:

They're spectacular birds, aren't they?

Edited by UUNetBill
Edit

@forgap thank you for the compliment - please do share the link when you've completed your transfer so we can enjoy "the full trip" too!  

I keep reading of everyone booked to sail Tokyo-Vancouver in the next couple of years and am quite excited by the tickets for this adventure which arrived just a couple of days ago - four weeks on Sunday and we'll be off!  We had a call from Regent yesterday and the one remaining "wait listed" tour we were hoping for has cleared and we're on.  Yay!   We seem to have waited so long for this one to come around but while we wait, we can sail vicariously with those who generously share their experiences with us.  Thank you xx

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gilly said:

@forgap thank you for the compliment - please do share the link when you've completed your transfer so we can enjoy "the full trip" too!  

I keep reading of everyone booked to sail Tokyo-Vancouver in the next couple of years and am quite excited by the tickets for this adventure which arrived just a couple of days ago - four weeks on Sunday and we'll be off!  We had a call from Regent yesterday and the one remaining "wait listed" tour we were hoping for has cleared and we're on.  Yay!   We seem to have waited so long for this one to come around but while we wait, we can sail vicariously with those who generously share their experiences with us.  Thank you xx

I hope you post to CC or to your wonderful blog so I can follow along.   Our cruise is still two years away but I’m interested in the excursions you choose and the little extras that make the itinerary special.  

On our last cruise we dined with Franck Galzy and he said the Bering Sea  could have challenging seas.  I’m prone to seasickness so I’ll have to be rigorous about  wearing my patches!  On this last cruise, Mariner was pretty stable but sneaky about how she rolled with the swells.  I got cavalier and didn’t change my patch and paid the price!