Hello from the Royal Princess

Kiwi_cruiser

2 hours ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Looks like "formal" night

In the old days, when all the men wore tuxedos or penguin suits as we call them in OZ.  Not like now, casual is the norm on Princess.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Before  I visited these birds, I was told that there would be an "aroma" from their droppings.  My nose detected none.  Did you?  A trip to this part of the world to see first hand these creatures is so worthwhile!  

Yes, I did detected a "aroma" but as it was windy it was not too bad!

We are arriving in to Puerto Chacabuco, Chile at midnight tonight due to a sick passenger on-board, so they can do a medical evacuate.

Also we are leaving Puerto Montt, Chile early at 5pm I think the caption said at midday, for operational reasons :classic_rolleyes:

Do you know whether the International Café on Royal has just run out of large coffee cups to take away or whether its now Princess policy to supply only the smaller ones from now on?

The crew were not forthcoming about this and didn't see a problem with it, even though when we bought a coffee card and paid for 15 cups of specialty coffee we were told it could be the larger ones.

All they would say is "No more large"

coffee cup.jpg

Someone mentioned the rather slow internet speed we are experiencing, we are currently  near Puerto Chacabuco Chile, I just ran a speed test, results below. Its been poor for the last week due to position of the ship.

speed test.jpg

7 hours ago, Griller said:

Do you know whether the International Café on Royal has just run out of large coffee cups to take away or whether its now Princess policy to supply only the smaller ones from now on?

The crew were not forthcoming about this and didn't see a problem with it, even though when we bought a coffee card and paid for 15 cups of specialty coffee we were told it could be the larger ones.

All they would say is "No more large"

I am also on board and this morning I got the "we only have one size" response when I asked for large.  Looks like another wonderful Princess cutback to me. 

Also, I attended the wine tasting.  They now pour maybe 2-3 sips in the glass.  

Something just now hit me.  It seems Princess is trying to morph into something like a low cost/no frills cruise line, like some airlines.

Edited by hpeabody

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Kendivallyn said:

Did you personally take this picture? We’re you close to the penguins?? Was this an excursion of some kind?? I love penguins so much!! 

There are several companies that will take you out to volunteer point, and you can get that close to the penguins. For the picture here, the third shows a ring of rocks you are not allowed to pass over, but these penguins sit about 4 to 6 foot inside the ring. All together, there are about 5000 penguins of three breeds in the area along with some sheep of course!

The area is close to the water and you can follow the penguins down and watch the frolic in the  ocean. What got me was how fast they could swim.

DSC_2556.JPG

DSC_2477.JPG

DSC_2423.JPG

Edited by TheRabbit
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of the DW and myself standing right in fron of the penguins to give you an idea of how close you can get. In the background, you can see other people on the opposite side of the ring of rocks.

It is only the Kings that have the ring around them. You can get even closer to the Gentoo and the Magellanic. You can see the other breeds off in the distance.

DSC_2411.JPG

Edited by TheRabbit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Today is our last day on the Royal Princess 😥😞, tomorrow we get of her in Los Angeles.

Tomorrow is Royal Princess first time to Los Angeles!!

We are eagerly awaiting your arrival - we have our Ocean Ready profiles done and are ready to pick up our Medallions at check in and wait for everyone to get off the ship so we can get on!

If there are any arrival events they may be on the Post of LA Webcam:

http://www.lawaterfront.org/multimedia.php

Edited by Ferd Berfle

13 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Today is our last day on the Royal Princess 😥😞, tomorrow we get of her in Los Angeles.

Tomorrow is Royal Princess first time to Los Angeles!!

Woo hoo! We're on the 4/6 sailing and looking forward to it a lot. I've really enjoyed your posts, especially the penguins. Thanks for a great thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

Woo hoo! We're on the 4/6 sailing and looking forward to it a lot. I've really enjoyed your posts, especially the penguins. Thanks for a great thread.

In two weeks it’s our turn! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Here is a picture of the DW and myself standing right in fron of the penguins to give you an idea of how close you can get. In the background, you can see other people on the opposite side of the ring of rocks.

It is only the Kings that have the ring around them. You can get even closer to the Gentoo and the Magellanic. You can see the other breeds off in the distance.

DSC_2411.JPG

That is AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing ... hope you had a fantastic cruise!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kendivallyn said:

That is AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing ... hope you had a fantastic cruise!

We did it on the star in 2016, Buenos Aires to LA. Just wanted people to know if they have a chance to go there.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:51 AM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Hello from the Royal Princess ☺️

We are currently on her doing the 49 days South America Grand Adventure!.

I took these photos on a hot day on the Royal Princess as we are heading to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.

We are now on our way to Montevideo, Uruguay!.

I will try and post a few more photos in a few days time.

If you have any questions on the Royal Princess, post them below and I will "try" and answer them.

Will try check this thread again in a few day time on our next sea day, hopefully the internet will not get slower as we get to Cape Horn .

P2169745.JPG

P2169747.JPG

P2169754.JPG

P2169766.JPG

Did you notice which dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day?