What is a Mixology Class in the Alchemy Bar?

teacher2cruiser

2 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I love Alchemy but I have not seen a mixology class offered there.

Where did you see this activity listed???

My first night tradition is to go to Alchemy and get the martini tasting for $20.

Usually listed in the Fun Times.  But ask the barista when you go the first tie.

Granted it's been a couple years, but when I did it on the Pride in 2017, it wasn't advertised in the FunTimes, and it was by "invite only" by the bartenders. Like they offered to the regulars. It ended up being me and one other younger couple that showed up. It was either $20 or $25, you got to learn and taste some of the drinks they make, and they gave you a mixology kit (the same one that used to be for sale on the FunShops online - not sure if it's still there).

27 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

YES, of course listed in the Fun Times but on which ships have you seen this???
I have NOT seen it listed on the ships I have used.

I have done the class on the Triumph and Vista at the Alchemy Bar. I can’t remember if I ever saw it listed in Fun Times.

Teacher2Cruiser...

I would go to Alchemy Bar when it opens on the first day and ask about it. The mixologist can put you on a list. I think sometimes it might be word of mouth. I don’t remember the exact cost, but we got a drink coupon for the Alchemy that pretty much covered the cost.

Edited by crzndeb

47 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I love Alchemy but I have not seen a mixology class offered there.

Where did you see this activity listed???

My first night tradition is to go to Alchemy and get the martini tasting for $20.

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO - Is this on most ships on the first night?  How many martinis do you get to taste for $20?  Will there be other tastings on an eight night cruise?

43 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

YES, of course listed in the Fun Times but on which ships have you seen this???
I have NOT seen it listed on the ships I have used.

I've never seen it either, but my curiosity has been peaked, it maybe available on all ships, this is from an article I just found:

"Want to learn how to make your favorite martini from the Alchemy Bar? Don’t miss signing up for Alchemy’s Martini Tasting class. You’ll get to sample many of the martinis served on the ship and while there is a fee for the class, it includes a full-sized martini of your choice.

If your ship doesn’t have the Alchemy Bar, ask Guest Services about the Master the Martini class!

PRO TIP: It’s a fun class that fills up quickly and is usually only held once per sailing. Be sure to sign up early – just ask one of the great folks at Alchemy, they can help!"

https://www.carrieontravel.com/fun-classes-to-experience-carnival-cruise-lines/

4 minutes ago, teacher2cruiser said:

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO - Is this on most ships on the first night?  How many martinis do you get to taste for $20?  Will there be other tastings on an eight night cruise?

I think you can do it any night.

From Carnival:

"Gather your most delicately-palated friends and family to join you at Alchemy Bar — the premier onboard spot for a uniquely tasteful bar experience. Choose any four mini-martinis, selecting from flavors like Spicy Chipotle Pineapple, Curative Peach Cosmopolitan… or let us craft you a custom. And once you’ve found a favorite, you can make the full-size version your next order."

https://www.carnival.com/onboard/alchemy-martini-tasting

Originally it was listed in the Fun Times as a boarding day activity to get folks to know about the Alchemy Bar. Now that many people already know about it you can go and ask for it any night.

IF you have the liquor pkg it is not included in that so you'd have to pay extra for it.

BTW to me they are not so "mini" ;(the martinis)

There is also a rum tasting offered on those ships that have the Red Frog Pub.

I like that too!!

• Like 1

We did it on the Freedom last November. It was $15 PP, and lasted about 90 minutes. We got a brief history of different drinks, and then how to make various cocktails, shake or stir them, pour thru the strainer, etc. We ended up drinking about 2 to 3 good drinks each. Oh, the class was limited to I think 10, whatever the number of stools there are at the bar. It was not advertised, I'm thinking the host selects who he wants because when he asked us to join he asked not to mention it to others. 

13 hours ago, CC Rider 69 said:

We did it on the Freedom last November. It was $15 PP, and lasted about 90 minutes. We got a brief history of different drinks, and then how to make various cocktails, shake or stir them, pour thru the strainer, etc. We ended up drinking about 2 to 3 good drinks each. Oh, the class was limited to I think 10, whatever the number of stools there are at the bar. It was not advertised, I'm thinking the host selects who he wants because when he asked us to join he asked not to mention it to others. 

I had the same experience aboard Legend back in December last year.  It was not something that was advertised but I was invited by the head bar staff mixologist.  In Australia, it was $25AUD from memory.  We made a few drinks as well and we were taught how to use the lemon peel with a lighter to make the sparks they use on some of the drinks.  I was pretty tanked by the end of it so it gets a little blurry.  We were given certificates of achievement having completed the course.  As I recall, it was also scheduled to start before Alchemy bar usually opens so there wasn't any interruption to ordinary operations.

20181216_030708168_iOS.jpg

20181216_060141613_iOS_LI.jpg

We did this on Pride in September.  It was never in the Fun Times.  We talked to one of the mixologists that we'd struck up conversations with (we were at Alchemy every evening before dinner)and he said he would host one for us on the last sea day, as long as we could find six people willing to pay $20 each (I think?). Well since we were a group of four already it wasn't too terribly hard to find two more!

The class is cool (we've done similar on RCCL) with lots of interesting tidbits of information (pay attention - there is a 'test':classic_tongue:). We didn't actually make the drinks but he did make many different types to sample - don't do it on an empty tummy!

At the end he did offer some mixer kits that you could purchase for home use, and since DH has a full bar in his 'Man Cave' he bought one for like $25 or $30.

Similar to others, we were invited by the mixologist. Never saw it advertised anywhere. We were on the Magic in 2018. It was $15/pp on the last sea day. We had a great time. Go to Alchemy early and often and be a good customer. You will likely get an invite. Well worth $15.