Pearl vs Breakaway

CHEVSTRISS

A last minute March opportunity might come our way.  The itineraries are identical, dates are identical.  Pearl leaves from Tampa, while Break is outta Miami.  Tampa is a shorter drive for us.  We don’t care about waterslides much.  But Break would run us $100 less.  I have been on Gem and Epic, which I think are sister ships to these 2.  Pearl was refurbished in 2017. Can anyone argue pros/cons on these 2?

Sailed on the Breakaway from NY to Bermuda and had a fantastic cruise. Loved the Waterfront and the entire layout of the ship. They also have a great Thermal Spa. Am currently booked on the April 28th Transatlantic on the Pearl which is smaller but looks to be a great ship also. The Breakaway is newer and you may enjoy some of the newer features.  Have a great time whatever you choose. 

We went on Pearl last Feb and Breakaway last month. I was afraid the Breakaway might be too big but once we got on the ship it was fine. For smokers the Pearl has more locations to smoke, unless this has changed in the past year. Waterfront on the Breakaway is really nice area also Spice H2O. We would not hesitate booking either of them again. 

We sailed on the Pearl and the Breakaway last year, and like others said you will probably be happy with either one.  I haven't been on the Gem or the Epic, so I can't make comparisons there for you.  For me, I felt like Breakaway had more variety of entertainment and nightlife options.  Otherwise, they felt very similar to me.  If you have a strong preference for smaller ships, you will probably like the Pearl better, but if I were choosing between the two ships with all other factors equal, I would probably choose Breakaway.  I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Pearl again, though, if it was a better deal or had a particular itinerary I was looking for.

4 hours ago, CHEVSTRISS said:

A last minute March opportunity might come our way.  The itineraries are identical, dates are identical.  Pearl leaves from Tampa, while Break is outta Miami.  Tampa is a shorter drive for us.  We don’t care about waterslides much.  But Break would run us $100 less.  I have been on Gem and Epic, which I think are sister ships to these 2.  Pearl was refurbished in 2017. Can anyone argue pros/cons on these 2?

Epic has no sister ships.  Breakaway is a good ride, not been on Pearl but Gem 5 times.  You can't go wrong, Breakaway felt more crowded, but no big deal.  

Gem and Pearl are sister ships - the Epic is in a class by itself but I think that if you like the Epic you will love the Away class - I personally love the Pearl and her sister ships and really have no desire to go any larger. That said - would it cost you an extra 100.00 to get to Miami? Are you going to have parking at either place?

10 hours ago, CHEVSTRISS said:

ok, here goes: The Breakaway is not a sister to the Epic, it is part of the "away family" but Gem is part of the Jewel family. If you like mega and you want a lot of activities the Breakaway is the better. We think the Pearl is the perfect size ship with a great crew. If it were me, I would take the Pearl.. You are only talking $100. I would also rather sail out of Tampa 

Mega ship vs Non-mega ship.  I have not been on Breakaway or the Pearl but have been on each's sister ship Getaway and Jewel.  If you like more restaurants and a bigger, more modern ship go with Breakaway.  If you plan on buying a spa pass, go with Breakaway.  If you prefer a smaller, more traditional cruise ship go with Pearl.  If you like less crowds, go with Pearl.  I have been cruising mega ships lately and want to get back to the jewel class ships.  Also, if you have not experienced a mega ship, its always fun to at least try one.

I am reading this thread with interest because we have sailed NCL twice, both on the Breakaway, and both times in the Haven.  The first cruise was to Bermuda out of NY and we had booked a balcony but received the offer to upgrade which we did, and believe me, I was very glad we did.  The Breakaway was very crowded (July cruise) and the pool area was always packed.  Loved the entertainment, etc. but for that cruise the Haven was the only way we would go because my husband would have been very unhappy with the crowd.  Last year we cruised the Baltics, and had another great experience.  This summer we are on the Pearl with a balcony room and I selected this precisely because the ship is smaller.  I am looking forward to hearing more about the Pearl and others experiences.  The boards have a lot of other ship reviews but relatively few about the Pearl.  Happy to see some good reviews.  

The Breakaway is a mega ship catering to the contemporary cruiser. Broadway shows. Lots of entertainment choices. Lots of dining choices. The Pearl is still maintains some aspects of “old time” cruising and entertainment. You would be happy with either (if you have done the Gem and Epic in the past). We tend to lean toward the mega ships. Enjoy!

I was on Breakaway a few years ago.  I loved the mega ship experience. In June of 2018 we were on the Pearl to Alaska. The ship was in great condition. My husband loved it.  He prefers the smaller ship.  I prefer the larger ones.  We’ll be on epic in April.  We were on it in 2015 for a Mediterranean cruise.