Fewer assumptions, please!

GottaKnowWhen

I am a somewhat serious amateur photographer. I know a fair amount about the technology involved and a bit less about artistic questions. I like to read, and sometime participate in discussions about travel photography in general, cruising in particular. So I read this forum.

Most of the posters here seem to assume that everyone knows all about every camera on the market. Sorry, but I could care less about Nikon 5dx vs cannon Ros RT. Or whatever. But I really would like to know what the camera is, not what the manufacturer called it. In other words, instead of naming a camera brand/model, could you please just say “such and such mirrorless one-inch sensor camera” or “such-and-such APS-C camera” or “such-and-such PoS 1/2inch sensor camera” so we who are not avid followers of the commercial market might have a chance to know what type camera you are talking about and why you prefer a given lens type? 

Thanks.

Stan (who shoots K-1 Mk ii full frame...)

32 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I am a somewhat serious amateur photographer. I know a fair amount about the technology involved and a bit less about artistic questions. I like to read, and sometime participate in discussions about travel photography in general, cruising in particular. So I read this forum.

Most of the posters here seem to assume that everyone knows all about every camera on the market. Sorry, but I could care less about Nikon 5dx vs cannon Ros RT. Or whatever. But I really would like to know what the camera is, not what the manufacturer called it. In other words, instead of naming a camera brand/model, could you please just say “such and such mirrorless one-inch sensor camera” or “such-and-such APS-C camera” or “such-and-such PoS 1/2inch sensor camera” so we who are not avid followers of the commercial market might have a chance to know what type camera you are talking about and why you prefer a given lens type? 

Thanks.

So...Sony A6300, an APS-C mirrorless camera with exceptional AF and high-ISO performance?

That way you get the model and a description to build up the ol' mental database!

🙂

Dave

2 minutes ago, pierces said:

So...Sony A6300, an APS-C mirrorless camera with exceptional AF and high-ISO performance?

That way you get the model and a description to build up the ol' mental database!

🙂

Dave

That would be so so helpful! Thanks.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:45 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

Thanks.

Not to be smart ... is PoS what I would call POS?  Is K-1 Mk ii full frame.. tongue in cheek?

While I am not a fan of acronyms,  I can't see typing out a phrase like Dave mentioned above.  Just my $.02

No. You want everyone to dumb things down because YOU don't know that a Z6/7 are mirrorless or that a D3xxx,D5xxx,D7xxx are dx bodies?    I use a nikon D610...if you don't know exactly what that it is, that is a you problem. and you can look it up. 

9 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

No. You want everyone to dumb things down because YOU don't know that a Z6/7 are mirrorless or that a D3xxx,D5xxx,D7xxx are dx bodies?    I use a nikon D610...if you don't know exactly what that it is, that is a you problem. and you can look it up. 

That’s my view too, if it’s really relevant I’ll spell it out, but Uncle Google can alsways fill in any blanks, and I freely admit I often google gear that I’m not familiar with, Canon has been my brand of choice for decades, but I still often have to google a model to find out if it has “x” feature.

The camera I use is a 20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor that uses an EXPEED 5 Image Processor, has a 3.2" 2,539k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD. is capable of 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps, has a Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System and native ISO of 100 to 51200, Extend to ISO 1640000 and can shoot at 10 fps for up to 200 frames, with a built-In Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC, as well as a 180k-Pixel RGB Sensor and Group Area AF with In-Camera Time Lapse, of up to 9999 frames.

3 hours ago, Oviedo32765 said:

The camera I use is a 20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor that uses an EXPEED 5 Image Processor, has a 3.2" 2,539k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD. is capable of 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps, has a Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System and native ISO of 100 to 51200, Extend to ISO 1640000 and can shoot at 10 fps for up to 200 frames, with a built-In Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC, as well as a 180k-Pixel RGB Sensor and Group Area AF with In-Camera Time Lapse, of up to 9999 frames.

Wow, that's a lot of information!  Could you just tell me the name of the camera, and I can look up that other stuff if I'm interested . . .

As an inexperienced amateur, I share the desire to learn and respect that.  However, when someone is willing to share there knowledge I view it as my responsibility to make the most of it.  That includes researching things I do not understand, such as cameras I'm not familiar with.  I think most folks here are more than generous when it comes to answering questions, but I hesitate to ask them for their time and expertise for cut and dry info like camera specs that can be easily found. 

Your point about why someone chose a lens, for instance, is something you can't really find through google.  I feel that is more along the lines of what a forum like this is for, and most people are happy to share.

2 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

As an inexperienced amateur, I share the desire to learn and respect that.  However, when someone is willing to share there knowledge I view it as my responsibility to make the most of it.  That includes researching things I do not understand, such as cameras I'm not familiar with.  I think most folks here are more than generous when it comes to answering questions, but I hesitate to ask them for their time and expertise for cut and dry info like camera specs that can be easily found. 

Your point about why someone chose a lens, for instance, is something you can't really find through google.  I feel that is more along the lines of what a forum like this is for, and most people are happy to share.

Well said. Specs are easy to research, but if you aren't experienced enough to use the specs to make a choice, the opinion of a owner of the equipment or something similar is invaluable.

Dave

3 hours ago, pengu1n said:

Wow, that's a lot of information!  Could you just tell me the name of the camera, and I can look up that other stuff if I'm interested . . .

That's the one spec missed in the flood of info. Nikon D500 would be my guess. The EXSPEED was the tip-off.

I also would have used APS-C for the sensor size reference since DX is a Nikon-specific reference. 😉

Dave

Edited by pierces

Since I started this, I will see if I can close it.

Many of you say or imply that I should know all these camera specs, and if I don't, I should just go look them up.

My point wasn't about specs. I could care less about camera specs. What I am interested in is camera functionality. If a newbie makes the mistake of coming into this forum to ask about what camera to use in Alaska or Antarctica or the Caribbean, a reply with the name of a camera is meaningless. A reply with a detailed regurgitation of manufactures specs like oviedo did in his/her post above is equally meaningless. A reply that talks about the relative advantage of wide angle vs. telephoto, the need for tripod or other stabilization with longer lenses, the merits of an image from a quality shorter lens cropped in post vs an unstabilized handheld p&s with a 400 zoom, these sorts of discussions have merit. Blathering on about video capability of a still camera is meaningless unless the newbie has some intention of shooting video and then it deserves its own discussion of relative merits of different approaches. Telling someone xyzzy is a "good" camera is meaningless unless you mention the advantage of a high frame rate or high ISO with minimal noise or other functional characteristics. Back up your assertions with specs if you must, but I say again this forum would be much more accessible to those not already within the club if you stop making assumptions about what people know and try to describe rather than name. Description of functionality, not naming of model numbers or marketing specs. Sure, it may be useful to give some additional pointers so they can do follow-up searches, but choice of a career system is about functionality, not specs.

I'm out of here, going cruising. 

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

If people want specifics they need to ask specific questions.

So many “what lens for .....” without telling what camera they’re going to put it on, what results they want, how experienced they are. Etc.

45 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I'm out of here, going cruising. 

Stan

Enjoy your trip, Stan.

Please try again in the future. It is unusual for this forum to give a questioner flak. I avoid most camera forums because of the rude holier-than-thou-because-I-shoot-with-X and other aggressive poster types. This has been a newbie -friendly site for a long time and I hope it will remain that way.

Dave

1 hour ago, pierces said:

Enjoy your trip, Stan.

Please try again in the future. It is unusual for this forum to give a questioner flak. I avoid most camera forums because of the rude holier-than-thou-because-I-shoot-with-X and other aggressive poster types. This has been a newbie -friendly site for a long time and I hope it will remain that way.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I am not taking any of the discussion personally. I made what I though was a suggestion for clarity and simplicity, I expected some blowback. No problem. I’m not going away mad, I am going away to travel!

This trip takes us to Asuncion where I lived ages 9-13, where I first used a camera - Brownie Box of some sort. Then on to Iguazu which I first visited as I was finishing up my PhD 11-12 years later (the trip was a graduation gift from my parents who lived in BA at the time), and which was the first experience I had shooting impressive landscapes with a good SLR (Nikkormat.) Then down to BA, we’ll catch our cruise a few days later, around Cape Horn and up to San Diego. 

One of the obvious challenges, occasionally discussed here, is storage & backup along the way. I’ll be experimenting with a new-to-me workflow involving Lightroom CC on my iPad, images to be synced back to Lightroom Classic CC via Adobe’s cloud. My RAW files are being sent? Really?  I can delete from my iPad? I can’t quite bring myself to put much faith in the Cloud and so will be doing redundant storage/backup. A good discussion of this recently on Kelby’s Community blog.

Stan

My suggestion is to go to Wikipedia, look up the product, and then you'll probably find a clickable link near the bottom with the manufacturer's timeline in a chart. This allows you to get a quick overview of where the product fits in the line by level and calendar.