what currency do you use in Oslo

Bav

The N. Kroner is the currency but Norway is virtually a cashless society.  Credit cards were encouraged for everything even a bottle of water or an ice cream cone when we spent a land vacation there 2 years ago and again when we cruised the fjords last year.  If you have some euros go ahead and bring them but don’t work to hard to get Kroners in advance.

Card. We pay for everything with card. While most shops and restaurants still accept cash (not all do), most banks no longer have cash!

The only places that we don’t expect to be able to pay with a bank card are situations like one-time event market stalls or fundraising bake sales. 5 years ago, those were cash payment situations, but these days most people accept local mobile payment solutions. Buying tickets from a local bus driver still requires cash, but it’s cheaper to buy a ticket in advance from a convenience store (7-11, Mix, Narvesen, Deli de Luca) which can be done with card, and then just activate it when boarding. (The Ruter transit system ticket machines have been known to have issues with some UK bank cards, so buying tickets at a shop is usually the simplest option overall.)

All sightseeing and tourist infrastructure should be able to accept foreign bank cards. ATMs are still readily available if cash in NOK is needed. However, outside of the extremely touristy situations, it’s not common to accept Euros or other foreign currency.

Edited by kaisatsu
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

The Viking ship museum (vilingskiphuset) takes master card and visa.  This place is a must if you are at all interested in Viking heritage or things nautical.

enjoy!

Please forgive the above typo.  The correct word is, of course:  " Vikingskiphuset"

• 3 months later...

We will be in Oslo this September and would like to use public transportation to get around. I understand there is a one day pass available. 

Does anyone know if we can buy it at one of the ticket machines? And do the machines require a PIN with your credit card?

3 hours ago, diane.in.ny said:

We will be in Oslo this September and would like to use public transportation to get around. I understand there is a one day pass available. 

Does anyone know if we can buy it at one of the ticket machines? And do the machines require a PIN with your credit card?

Ticket machines require a PIN number to work

6 hours ago, diane.in.ny said:

You can also buy tickets and passes from any convenience store (7-11, Narvesen, Mix, Deli de Luca). If you aren’t sure you’re card will work in the machines, this is an easier option since it’s a staffed sales point.

If you’re arriving by ship and dock at the main Akershus pier, there’s a 7-11 right behind the city hall.

6 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Ticket machines require a PIN number to work

3 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

You can also buy tickets and passes from any convenience store (7-11, Narvesen, Mix, Deli de Luca). If you aren’t sure you’re card will work in the machines, this is an easier option since it’s a staffed sales point.

If you’re arriving by ship and dock at the main Akershus pier, there’s a 7-11 right behind the city hall.

Thanks for the information.  I was hoping to catch the #12 tram near the pier to go to Vigeland so wanted to grab a ticket as soon as possible. I have an atm/debit/visa card that I use with a pin at the ATM. Would that work?

7 hours ago, diane.in.ny said:

Thanks for the information.  I was hoping to catch the #12 tram near the pier to go to Vigeland so wanted to grab a ticket as soon as possible. I have an atm/debit/visa card that I use with a pin at the ATM. Would that work?

It might. However, I’m not sure the Kontraskjæret tram stop even has a ticket machine, so you might need to walk the extra block to the 7-11 anyway.

PS - If you have access to a cellular data plan, it’s worth downloading the “RuterReise” app. It provides real-time estimates for the city transit, so you can see exactly when the tram is expected. Real-time estimates are indicated both in the app and on digital displays at larger stops by showing the arrival in minutes instead of scheduled times. (e.g. “4 min” vs “11:51”)

On 5/31/2019 at 8:28 PM, diane.in.ny said:

We purchases a one day pass that included public transportation as well as admission to several museums. We found it to be a good deal. We purchased it at the tourist office just after we got off the ship. I used a credit card and no pin was needed because I  purchased  from a person not a machine.  

18 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

We purchases a one day pass that included public transportation as well as admission to several museums. We found it to be a good deal. We purchased it at the tourist office just after we got off the ship. I used a credit card and no pin was needed because I  purchased  from a person not a machine.  

This is called the OsloPass. In the past cruise passengers were eligible to buy it at a reduced rate at the cruise terminal. Is this still the case?

You typically need to visit more than two paid museums to be able to cover the full price compared to buying a 24-hour transit pass and museum admissions as you go.