Cables required to connect computer to TV

Dean

We will be on the 11/12 Azamura Quest cruise from Singapore to Dubai.  Does anyone know if I will be able to connect to their stateroom TV's?  I have a apple notebook or could take my apple pro if necessary.

It would be nice to show my spreadsheets as well as movies on their larger TV screen.  I called Azamura directly and they did not know,

You can connect HDMI to a back port on the right hand side. It’s not easy but persevere, making sure your partner holds the TV securely. You’ll need a universal remote and code it to Samsung. The TV and movie offerings on Az are mostly terrible with the occasional decent movie. They have 2 movies per day on 2-3 hourly rotation and the cycle is repeated in the second week. 

• Like 2

Apparently BBBacLaird is from the cruise line and has asked us not to attempt to connect our devices to their TV.  He did not say it was not possible - only do not try.  I will accept his request but ask that Azamura look into this and come up with a solution to those guests that want to be able to connect.  

The Azamara Quest has an advanced interactive, closed Circuit TV system in cabins that allows for guests to order shore tours and check on the status of their on board account. CNN, TNT, TCM, ESPN, Discovery, and a children's channel are available. Activities of the day are also replayed on the Cruise Channel. First run movies are available, and all cabins feature flat screen TVs

I wouldn't say those choices are terrible.  I plan to download Netflix movies, but can watch those on my laptop.

Edited by hubofhockey

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Apparently BBBacLaird is from the cruise line and has asked us not to attempt to connect our devices to their TV.  He did not say it was not possible - only do not try.  I will accept his request but ask that Azamura look into this and come up with a solution to those guests that want to be able to connect.  

Bonnie MacLaird is Azamara’s Chief Blogging Officer and does a great job answering Cruise Critic members’ questions and queries as well as passing on information about Azamara ships and cruises.

4 hours ago, Dean said:

It’s not going to happen.  Aside from having to change the TVs in every cabin which has only just been done with the reimagination of the ships, it isn’t a priority for Azamara as far as cabin entertainment is concerned, fitting as it does with their priorities for guests.  I happen to agree with Bonnie.  Leave the TVs alone.  With the way personal devices are now there really is no need.  If you are able to find a way, then great, but leave it right for the next person who occupies your cabin. 

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I wanted to hook up was to get a larger screen  My notebook is only 6 inches.  A 32 inch would be easier to read my spreadsheets that I am developing for our trip.  I assumed that the monitor was a normal one with the usual connections.  Apparently it was designed only for a single purpose.  

This is a good excuse to buy the new apple pro with a 15 inch screen.  I am sure my wife will understand the reason why I have to spend the money.  I can always tell her it is a requirement from the cruise line and since she was the one that wanted to go with Azamara.  Hopefully, I will probably get by with it.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

This is a good excuse to buy the new apple pro with a 15 inch screen.  I am sure my wife will understand the reason why I have to spend the money.  I can always tell her it is a requirement from the cruise line and since she was the one that wanted to go with Azamara.  Hopefully, I will probably get by with it.

If she pushes back on the price of the 15" MacBook Pro (a mere $3100USD), you could consider the new iPad Pro. It's available with either 11" or 12.9" screen.  More than adequate for doing spreadsheets, and you can take it up on deck to continue your spreadsheeting while watching the world go by.  With the money you save, you could take a couple of Azamara shore excursions:-)

https://daringfireball.net/2018/11/the_2018_ipad_pros

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My thanks to screen-gem for his recommendations.  I will look into this option .  Hopefully, this iPad will also be appropriate for receiving emails.   The link you send me appears that it does if it is set up right. Currently, I have been using "go to my pc" to hook up to my office  computer and this has become impossible due to public computers locking out the software.

BBMacLaird's recommendation on the use of the computers in the Card Room is appreciated, but they probably will have the same software that would prevent me from connecting to my office computer.

iPad Pro looks like the solution. I will have my grandson instruct me on how best to transfer my data from my PC to the iPad.

Thank you again to all who have responded to my inquiry.

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

Currently, I have been using "go to my pc" to hook up to my office  computer and this has become impossible due to public computers locking out the software.

BBMacLaird's recommendation on the use of the computers in the Card Room is appreciated, but they probably will have the same software that would prevent me from connecting to my office computer.

iPad Pro looks like the solution. I will have my grandson instruct me on how best to transfer my data from my PC to the iPad.

@Dean,

I travel extensively with an iPad (sadly, not an iPad Pro - it doesn't satisfy household budget constraints...). It's great for e-mail, web surfing, reviewing photos, document prep, and the like.  However, based on my experience, remote access to distant computers (such as your office PC) is problematic from cruise ships. The problem is the excessive transmission delay in the satellite connections that the ships use to connect to the internet, combined with relatively slow data rates. Screen sharing programs like Go To My PC are bandwidth hogs and tend not to work well over satellite connections.

For remote access to other computers (when I'm not on a cruise ship), I use an iOS app named "Screens". You could ask your grandson about it.

21 hours ago, Dean said:

The only reason I wanted to hook up was to get a larger screen  My notebook is only 6 inches.  A 32 inch would be easier to read my spreadsheets that I am developing for our trip.  I assumed that the monitor was a normal one with the usual connections.  Apparently it was designed only for a single purpose.  

I am thinking about buying a travel monitor on Amazon to hook up to my Mac.  Amazon has 16" ones that weigh less than 3 pounds for $94 and a 4 pound one for $79.  I may get one to hook up to my 11" Mac.  I need an extra screen, more for working at home, but it would be nice to have another so my wife can watch too.

23 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I am thinking about buying a travel monitor on Amazon to hook up to my Mac. 

With apologies to @Dean for hijacking his thread, you might consider getting an iPad and using it as a second screen for your MacBook, both at home and when traveling. That would be a lot easier to pack/transport than a travel monitor, and give you (and, more importantly,  your wife:-) the flexibility to use it on its own.

These links might be of interest if you consider this approach:

https://tidbits.com/2019/02/22/attach-an-ipad-to-your-macbook-as-a-second-display-with-mountie/

https://www.duetdisplay.com/

https://lunadisplay.com/

Edited by screen-gem

6 hours ago, screen-gem said:

With apologies to @Dean for hijacking his thread, you might consider getting an iPad and using it as a second screen for your MacBook, both at home and when traveling. That would be a lot easier to pack/transport than a travel monitor, and give you (and, more importantly,  your wife:-) the flexibility to use it on its own.

These links might be of interest if you consider this approach:

https://tidbits.com/2019/02/22/attach-an-ipad-to-your-macbook-as-a-second-display-with-mountie/

https://www.duetdisplay.com/

https://lunadisplay.com/

Of course, the screen on the iPad is smaller than my 11" screen on my Mac, so it really serves no purpose.  The travel monitor is 16".  The iPad idea doesn't work well for me since the platform of my work laptop is not IOS.  I want something functional for both formats.  At less than 3 pounds, the travel monitor, is also small enough to fit in my backpack.  

I don't think the thread is really hijacked since we are talking about exporting personal entertainment on the cruise.  That's the real topic.  My AZ cruise is in SE Asia where I'm sure entertainment is limited and we have 4-5 days at sea, so I do want to think about entertainment as well.  To be honest, my biggest Azamara fear is the small ship and level of entertainment.  I haven't been on a ship smaller than X's M class (which I love) in over 25 years.  We have Netflix, but it would be nice if Amazon Prime Video allowed downloading to computers.

9 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Of course, the screen on the iPad is smaller than my 11" screen on my Mac,

The new iPad Pro has a 13" screen, and is actually a bit bigger than an 11" MacBook.

Higher resolution too:  2732x2048 pixels vs 1366x768.

However, if it's not compatible with your work laptop, then it's not a good fit for your needs.

13 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

We have Netflix, but it would be nice if Amazon Prime Video allowed downloading to computers.

We often download Netflix titles for off-line viewing on trains, planes, & ships. We don't have Amazon Prime, but I thought you could download Prime videos:

Download Prime Video Titles

Amazon Prime only downloads to phones or tablets - not to a MacBook Air or Pro.  Netflix right now wins over Amazon Prime (we have both).   

A little off topic, but I am not counting on strong enough WIFI on AZ to get a decent stream from my slingbox, but I'll use it in hotels in Asia.  For me, being away three weeks during NFL season and MLB playoffs (will only watch Sox though) will be tough.

8 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Amazon Prime only downloads to phones or tablets - not to a MacBook Air or Pro.  Netflix right now wins over Amazon Prime (we have both).   

A little off topic, but I am not counting on strong enough WIFI on AZ to get a decent stream from my slingbox, but I'll use it in hotels in Asia.  For me, being away three weeks during NFL season and MLB playoffs (will only watch Sox though) will be tough.

You are right.  Have attempted Slingbox on AZ wifi.  Hit and miss at best.  More annoying than anything else.

A pity that they can't replicate Voom on RCCL.  Watched our home cable (in HD no less) all the way across the Atlantic last year.

6 hours ago, ECCruise said:

You are right.  Have attempted Slingbox on AZ wifi.  Hit and miss at best.  More annoying than anything else.

A pity that they can't replicate Voom on RCCL.  Watched our home cable (in HD no less) all the way across the Atlantic last year.

I think Celebrity is doing that as well as part of the "Revolutionizing" their entire fleet.  They're even doing it on the Flora for Galapagos.  Maybe, since Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are both being modernized for WIFI, it will eventually find its way to Azamara, but surely not in time for my cruise in October.  With longer itineraries, many people like being "connected" and I hope Azamara  sees value there.  

Just to manage expectations, you aren't going to find that on Azamara I'm afraid. It's wickedly expensive to retrofit. I've asked. Not sure if you know that Royal pay for a special satellite for Voom. It's just not a priority for a Destination Immersion cruiseline like Azamara. 

BTW, I have been able to stream YouTube, Prime Video and Prime Music on most of the days I've spent on Azamara. No problem. 

Phil 

I am pleased at the responses to my original posting regarding connecting my iPad to the stateroom TV.  It has enlarged the postings to a more important topic   - that including much more than my little problem.

Thank you for everyone who has expanded this to include other important considerations. I intend to take the recommendations of not only screen gem, but others as well

Dean