Just off the Oosterdam

bbw187

We'll be aboard the Oostedam June 30th.  What was your overall feelings about the service and the things to do onboard? How was service in the mdr? What was your overall impression of the crew and ship? We'll be in a NS (for the first time, our 20th wedding anniversary cruise), were you in a suite and did you utilize the Neptune Lounge? Did you have good cabin stewards? Did you have fun? 😊 Thanks for any information! Welcome home!

Edit: Please ignore this attachment.  I have no idea how I took a screen shot and attached it to the reply.  I probably couldn't have done it if I was trying.  LOL I've tried to edit and take it off but to no avail. It is now forever part of history.  :classic_sad:

image.png

Edited by TwinMommyByGrace
  • Haha 1

Good evening, 

It’s been a long drive home to SC so I promise to write a review tomorrow. 

To answer the questions above and as a disclaimer, these are my personal opinions. The service was outstanding. All the staff was friendly, polite and accommodating. As far as things to do on board, it was enough but not an overload. In comparison to Royal, it was quiet. No pushing of drink packages, bingo, pool games etc. More classic than flashy. Our group always found something to do! We learned a lot in the trivia games. We had late dining in the MDR. Great table mates and staff was friendly. Our TA gave us a dinner at Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill. Was not a fan of C but Pinnacle Grill was a-mazing. Omg, the food was outstanding and huge portions. Definitely take advantage of this gem. 

Had two Verandah cabins on deck 7 and passed the Neptune Lounge all the time. When I grow up I want to be able to afford a NS 🙂. I’m sure the lounge is used but didn’t see many pax using it. Maybe we walked by it at odd times. We did peek in on a suite and it looked very spacious. Still a life goal! I’m sure you will love it for your anniversary celebration! 

The ship is in good shape overall. Our tub and bathroom sink could have used replacing, but didn’t bother me. You can also tell that cleanliness is priority and that’s important to me. Public bathrooms were always spotless. 

Feel free to ask ask me anything else. I hope this info is helpful. 

907B5188-661C-46BF-B655-6925F978B052.jpeg

• Like 5

Another note, the Lido Market was spectacular. No real self service. Always a server to assist you with items. I believe this is a sanitary procedure which I really like. Also in the center section where the beverages are, they always had a selection of small tapas. Nice option. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bbw187 said:

Another note, the Lido Market was spectacular. No real self service. Always a server to assist you with items. I believe this is a sanitary procedure which I really like. Also in the center section where the beverages are, they always had a selection of small tapas. Nice option. 

You are correct, HAL always uses their staff to serve you in the interest of curtailing the potential spread of nasty bugs and diseases.... which is a good thing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beaming90 said:

Thank  you, I will be on the Oosterdam in August.  But I have to ask what is a tapa?

A tapa is a small appetizer or snack (smaller portion).  Check them out by the beverages in the lido market.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 8:12 PM, bbw187 said:

Ask any questions!

We are on the Oosterdam on March 16th - Tropical Caribbean Key West, Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.  I believe this was your itinerary.  Did you make it to all ports?  Even if tendered?  was the aft pool open and functional?  (it wasn't on my sister's cruise in January)  Entertainment?  shows, comedians etc.?  Your preferences?  thanks!

55 minutes ago, waynenjanice said:

Were there laundry options available?  We sail April 13.

Yes there were laundry options.  There is a blue cloth laundry bag with price sheet hanging in the closet in your cabin to utilize.  Sorry, didn't use the service so I'm not aware of the prices.

1 hour ago, VTcruisenut said:

We are on the Oosterdam on March 16th - Tropical Caribbean Key West, Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.  I believe this was your itinerary.  Did you make it to all ports?  Even if tendered?  was the aft pool open and functional?  (it wasn't on my sister's cruise in January)  Entertainment?  shows, comedians etc.?  Your preferences?  thanks!

Our itinerary was Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay.  Yes, we made all the ports.  We only tendered at HMC.  Easy access at all ports.  Both pools were functioning and enjoyable.  We gravitated to the aft pool.  Great mellow music playing and awesome breeze.

The entertainment was different.  I'm used to Royal's great stage productions.  HAL is more classical than flashy.  There was a magician, gymnast, comedian (super funny and entertaining),  a BBC Planet Earth show with small orchestra (very good), and then two other music oriented shows (didn't really care for those). 

The Lincoln Center Stage had music recitals by guest musicians.  You had to be really quiet in the hallway at that time. The dueling pianos in Billboard Onboard was entertaining and we always participated in the Trivia games!

We always found something fun to do or see.  Feel free to ask any other questions.

We were on Oosterdam in the first week of February. The ship is in excellent condition and it was obvious that it was fairly recently renovated.

There is a pickle ball court and there was a time on the daily program for pickle ball players to meet.

Food in main dining room and Lido was excellent overall with plenty of choices. Pinnacle Grill was also excellent the night we ate there.

All of the entertainment on board was excellent and the crew, as usual, was willing to go above and beyond to help the passengers.

1 hour ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

I'm on Oosterdam early April and am wondering about the crew's primary ethnicity...

Cabin and table stewards (including Lido) are primarily Indonesian. Tamarind stewardesses may be from Thailand.
Lounge stewards and bartenders are from the Philippines, as are many of the line cooks in the Lido, and Front Desk personnel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

"There is a pickle ball court and there was a time on the daily program for pickle ball players to meet".

Thank you.  It is good to confirm there is a court.  Did you ever see anyone playing? 

We just got off of the Nieuw Amsterdam and played Pickleball almost every day.  We had to kick the basketball players off of the court (they were not too happy with us), and had to string the net up a couple of times (a tennis net set strung at the height of a pickleball net).  There were a few experienced Pickleball players, but we found ourselves teaching a lot of curious people how to play (it was still fun as it's always fun to play Pickleball!)...