NO Thermal Spa Suite on NCL Joy

I booked a cruise on NCL Joy for October. My main draw has been the thermal spa suite weekly pass offered by NCL but I didn't see this as a choice.  I called NCL directly and was told Joy would NOT have a weekly pass for cruisers.  You must book a spa service to use the facilities.  What?! This makes no sense.  She said this could change if enough people are upset by it so call please and let them know it's a great addition.  It's my main "activity" since I don't hang out at the noisy,  overcrowded pool. 

41 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

The JOY doe not have a thermal suite, it will only have treatment rooms.  Therefore there are no weekly passes.

Thanks for the information as with the dry dock I was not sure if the Joy would a thermal spa which like Solo Cruiser is my favorite spot on the ship.

5 hours ago, Solo Cruiser Memphis said:

Thanks...seems NCL gave me the wrong information.  They told me that Joy had the same things as Bliss (sauna, salt room,  pool, etc) so I wasn't sure why they wouldn't offer weekly passes.  This is definitely a cruise I will cancel. 

It may have a single-gender sauna and or steam room in the locker room like some of the older ships. They post-reno deck plans don’t show that level or detail. However, they don’t show a thermal suite at all either. I will be on the US Inaugural April 26th and can report back. 

It’s exactly why I went with the Bliss for this upcoming Alaska sailing. With all the expenses with the Alaska sailing, we had to cut costs somewhere and choose an inside room.  The thermal spa is a must for a little relaxation and somewhere quiet to go and get out of the room. 

9 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

It’s exactly why I went with the Bliss for this upcoming Alaska sailing. With all the expenses with the Alaska sailing, we had to cut costs somewhere and choose an inside room.  The thermal spa is a must for a little relaxation and somewhere quiet to go and get out of the room. 

You will not regret that decision! The thermal spa is truly amazing. Be sure to try ALL of the rooms, even the snow room. You will love it!

Thermal Suites are great. But with the move of the spa to the back of the ship on the Bliss (tonmake room for the observation lounge) they skimped on the space. It feels tiny compared to her sister ships. And they moved the saunas to the interior, so there are no windows like on the Escape (BA and GA also have interior saunas). 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

It may have a single-gender sauna and or steam room in the locker room like some of the older ships. They post-reno deck plans don’t show that level or detail. However, they don’t show a thermal suite at all either. I will be on the US Inaugural April 26th and can report back. 

What is your report?  Does the Joy have free separate saunas on board for men and women?

6 hours ago, YngRetiredCruiser said:

What is your report?  Does the Joy have free separate saunas on board for men and women?

Just off the Joy.  In the Spa (Mandara Spa not Thermal)  they have a small Sauna.  You cannot use it use it unless you pay for Spa services.  I did ask about this and the Spa manager said if you want to pay 20$ for single access or 99$ for a week then you could go sit in the Ssuna.

No where else on the ship has a sauna.  Nothing in the Gym (No locker room in the gym) nor in the Haven.

1 hour ago, wilmingtech said:

Just off the Joy.  In the Spa (Mandara Spa not Thermal)  they have a small Sauna.  You cannot use it use it unless you pay for Spa services.  I did ask about this and the Spa manager said if you want to pay 20$ for single access or 99$ for a week then you could go sit in the Ssuna.

No where else on the ship has a sauna.  Nothing in the Gym (No locker room in the gym) nor in the Haven.

Wow!  $20 to sit in a sauna for 15 minutes?  No, thank you.  Now I'm convinced more than ever that the Joy is not the ship for us.  One of the reasons we sail NCL on the mega ships is for the thermal suite...they are the best in the industry IMO.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

On 4/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, Action Dave said:

booked the norwegian joy for August 31, 2019.  Sad to hear no thermal spa passes but still not a deal breaker, with so much to do on this ship. We'll just have to make the best of it. lol.

We made the best of our recent trip but the activities are limited on this ship.

Go Carts (15$ for 10 min)

VR Games (7$ each/20$ for 4, about 4-5 min each)

Drop Water Slide (free)

Kids Water Slide (free)

Pool

Gym

Atrium Activities

And at night add -

Cavern Club - Same Band every night and packed

The Social Comedy  and karaoke/dance

Main Theater

And misc musicians around the ship.

Lots and lots of places to lounge and hang out.

We had a great time but it was one of those cruises where we played games, got into great conversations with others and spent more time lounging than doing activities.