One Main Course

djhsolara

I have to admit to have eaten a 500g. ( 18 Oz. ) Fillet last week in Johannesburg, BEST meat in the World. ☺️ And this for less than 15 US$... HAL should source their meat from South Africa.

Ps. And I had room for dessert 🤪

Well, I'm very disappointed at this news and hope the experiment doesn't become fleet-wide reality.  DH and I are small people who don't tend to overeat, but we are creative in our ordering.  We often order a vegetarian entree to go along with our "meat course," because we like to see what the chefs have creatively cooked up as a vegetarian option.   We love the freedom to try new dishes that can inspire us when we get home to our own monotonous kitchen.  Boo on HAL if they do this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know that I'd call it supersized, but I would say that's large. What bothers me about the photo you posted is the paltry serving of veg. Yes, I know there's a serving of potato hidden under the meat, but for a healthy diet, there should be more veg than I see there. 

I understand  your want of vegetable.    However  the portion of vegetable to meat  is about right for a formal dinning experience.  I say this with professional training.      The vegetable and starch, carbs  come from the other courses. in balance.

The meat is the focus  the veg are the garnish and ones that are complementary to the specific dish.    OK   a formal dinner would be  an amuse + an appetizer+soup+ salad*+principal meat+fish+ (* salad option) cheese/fruit+desert     You get your vegetable is courses focused totally on Vegetable+ the side garnish on the rest of the plates as a sum of the whole

The smallest steak offered in the PG is 7oz. The steak in Tamarind is at least that large. It's apparently okay to eat more than 4oz of protein when there is a surcharge. Mk.

I know I am weird but I don't think I have ever even had a lobster tail in the MDR on a cruise. I love lobster but we got spoiled up in the NE US and then with fresh grilled lobster in the Keys. 

8 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I have to admit to have eaten a 500g. ( 18 Oz. ) Fillet last week in Johannesburg, BEST meat in the World. ☺️ And this for less than 15 US$... HAL should source their meat from South Africa.

Ps. And I had room for dessert 🤪

Are you any relation to Cronsky  in France?

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That could be next or they could try limiting you to one trip through the line.  On our Italy land trip last year one of our included  dinner  nights was a buffet at the hotel in Sorrento where we were booked, we were given a ticket that only allowed one trip through the buffet line. It was the worse meal on our 14 day tour too, it made us appreciate the food quality on HAL in the Lido buffets. 

I would have a very hard time getting full on one trip through a buffet.  Not because I am a glutton or over eat.  But because I am one of the people who can't stand their food to touch.  I am 56 and haven't outgrown it yet, so I am not changing now.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Well, I'm very disappointed at this news and hope the experiment doesn't become fleet-wide reality.  DH and I are small people who don't tend to overeat, but we are creative in our ordering.  We often order a vegetarian entree to go along with our "meat course," because we like to see what the chefs have creatively cooked up as a vegetarian option.   We love the freedom to try new dishes that can inspire us when we get home to our own monotonous kitchen.  Boo on HAL if they do this.

The vegetarian dishes were what we have ordered in addition too. We could always try asking if they could bring us "side" size portions. One of dh's splurges is HAL's risottos and fresh stuffed pastas. They are good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

The smallest steak offered in the PG is 7oz. The steak in Tamarind is at least that large. It's apparently okay to eat more than 4oz of protein when there is a surcharge. Mk.

I know I am weird but I don't think I have ever even had a lobster tail in the MDR on a cruise. I love lobster but we got spoiled up in the NE US and then with fresh grilled lobster in the Keys. 

I agree  I spent a week in Maine in Sept and had Lobster daily...   I always order the smallest filet     Its difficult to properly cook a filet under 6 oz.....   Many times  My wife and I will order a 8 oz  and split.   Cruise ship lobster is mostly spiny lobster or Pacific lobster.   Few Maine or Canadian NS  lobster.    I found broiled lobster tail to be superior to steamed

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

The vegetarian dishes were what we have ordered in addition too. We could always try asking if they could bring us "side" size portions. One of dh's splurges is HAL's risottos and fresh stuffed pastas. They are good.

DH and I have also really enjoyed sharing a risotto with our main entree -- but I wouldn't want just the risotto for dinner.

Your suggestion is a great one -- to ask for a side portion.  I guess we all just keep having to come up with "work-arounds" to whatever new cost-cutting is thrown at us.  As experienced cruisers, we probably all know how to carve out a great cruise experience, but people new to cruising maybe don't.

There are so many new and huge cruise ships to fill, seems like the cruise lines would find it better to be a little generous in some areas, in order to keep those ships booked up.  We shall see....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I agree  I spent a week in Maine in Sept and had Lobster daily...   I always order the smallest filet     Its difficult to properly cook a filet under 6 oz.....   Many times  My wife and I will order a 8 oz  and split.   Cruise ship lobster is mostly spiny lobster or Pacific lobster.   Few Maine or Canadian NS  lobster.    I found broiled lobster tail to be superior to steamed

To us, not much compares to a fully stuffed overflowing honest to goodness buttery lobster roll in the correct bun.. makes my mouth water. We are lobster gluttons on our trips to the NE and Maritimes. 😋Spoiled us. 

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Yes, he almost always orders the cheese plate, no carbs and he is not s big sugar eater. But when avoiding carbs and focusing protein, starters and soup can be a challenge, hence the desire for a 6-8 oz protein, especially beef, which seemed to be the norm before on HAL. He learned not to order the beef except on gala nights. It seemed pork or fowl was more normally portioned.

There are all these specialty diets  Protein  Low Carb etc     What is really important more than what you eat is how much  you eat  It  all boils down to calories based on a 2200  healthy diet  (  Most fast food burgers top 1000 and go to 1500 add fries and a coke and your over 2200.   a plate of pasta with sauce 1800).      The cheese is low carb but HIGH calorie line 100 Kal per oz.

5 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

To us, not much compares to a fully stuffed overflowing honest to goodness buttery lobster roll in the correct bun.. makes my mouth water. We are lobster gluttons on our trips to the NE and Maritimes. 😋Spoiled us. 

I tried the best  Reds, Portland, Clam Shack, Thurston.... Cold lobster is not very flavorful compared to HOT lobster  .  after 10 days  I dont want to see lobster for 6 months.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

There are all these specialty diets  Protein  Low Carb etc     What is really important more than what you eat is how much  you eat  It  all boils down to calories based on a 2200  healthy diet  (  Most fast food burgers top 1000 and go to 1500 add fries and a coke and your over 2200.   a plate of pasta with sauce 1800).      The cheese is low carb but HIGH calorie line 100 Kal per oz.

Dh is a nonprofessional but competative athlete, and ds is training as well. His caloric and dietary requirements vary from most folks, especially protein in the same way football players or other athletes do. He makes it work wherever we go, though it can be a challenge. I'm just the cook and the cheerleader 😁

16 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Dh is a nonprofessional but competative athlete, and ds is training as well. His caloric and dietary requirements vary from most folks, especially protein in the same way football players or other athletes do. He makes it work wherever we go, though it can be a challenge. I'm just the cook and the cheerleader 😁

Age metabolism, activity change a lot...    Michael Fatly ( sp)  the River Dance  guy  had to eat 10,000Kal a day    On a cruise ship is sedentary at best   you could happily eat 1600.Kal           Being a food affectionado,  It was  easy  to get out of control and I  picked up 70 pounds in 3 years.     I got rid of it....  On cruises  I am a 2 meal a day guy,  No deserts no pastry which  I dont  really care for with few exceptions     Gimme   a nice salad and a grilled duck breast and a nice cheese with fruit and a port.  I  like the ability to craft in the buffet     3 passes   one item per pass.   ( seafood salad with crudite, Meat  , starch like rice or plain pasta  or stir fry.  I totaly skip  the lobster nights  as I have sailed on lines that every day is lobster day at every venue lunch to dinner, !! Lobster tail, Steamed Whole, Lobster Sandwitches at the pool grill.  Its like you lobster aversion .    I will take Grilled rock scallops  or Abalone steak over lobster  any day

( you know in donuts and candy stores , many times they let employees eat all they want the first week.... after that  they dont find them so attractive)

Edited by Hawaiidan

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

I understand  your want of vegetable.    However  the portion of vegetable to meat  is about right for a formal dinning experience.  I say this with professional training.      The vegetable and starch, carbs  come from the other courses. in balance.

The meat is the focus  the veg are the garnish and ones that are complementary to the specific dish.    OK   a formal dinner would be  an amuse + an appetizer+soup+ salad*+principal meat+fish+ (* salad option) cheese/fruit+desert     You get your vegetable is courses focused totally on Vegetable+ the side garnish on the rest of the plates as a sum of the whole

My food training is about nutrition, so I like to eat a healthy balance, and that includes a decent amount of veg without having to order 7 courses. HAL's starters are not a source of veg unless you order the salad. Soups have little in the way of "inclusions," they're mostly the liquid. Most starters are tiny, and an insignificant amount of any nutrient category. 

52 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

My favorite way to eat lobster! On one of our Canada cruises, I had lobster roll in every port. I even tried McLobster. Not bad, but not the best I had, either.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My favorite way to eat lobster! On one of our Canada cruises, I had lobster roll in every port. I even tried McLobster. Not bad, but not the best I had, either.

McLobster... that's a new one for me. I am so googling that!! That is hilarious. :classic_laugh:

Our cruise we did the same in every port. Loved it and then this last cruise just when we thought, "well darn,  no more lobster" when we got to Montreal, the French restaurant we always go to there had a yummy lobster dish dh had to have. But we do kinda lobster ourselves out for a while. But it is nice while it lasts. 

Edited by fatcat04

13 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My food training is about nutrition, so I like to eat a healthy balance, and that includes a decent amount of veg without having to order 7 courses. HAL's starters are not a source of veg unless you order the salad. Soups have little in the way of "inclusions," they're mostly the liquid. Most starters are tiny, and an insignificant amount of any nutrient category. 

Hence order a salad,  some  soup bases on legumes can  be excellent for fiber too  I side of veg is a possibility if you crave it  and a potato of some form with meat.     Thats  if your eating  for total nutrition long term.    BUT  on a cruise its  for most 7 to 10 days and sedentary or nor real active  so I'd rather cut the amount I eat in all categories.   After the cruise all you want to have is memories not 3 more inches on the waist.     I sail or try to sail 21+ days  and need to pace the experience..   No Gimmie that, more

Edited by Hawaiidan

9 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

McLobster... that's a new one for me. I am so googling that!! That is hilarious. :classic_laugh:

Ya '  I heard about it... at Mc Donalds. Maine.. Its sounds scary knowing how they process  chicken Mc whatever and ribs...  ( Gee Isn't it amazing... everything is exactly the same size.... I wonder  how....  You dont want to know. why)

Actualy  if your on a new england cruise...and stop at Portland for the day...head to the Port Hole on the docks..  for $24 you get 2 whole 1.25 lobsters, potato, corn, and a roll....  Best deal  In Bar Harbor steer clear of places like Stewmans.

Edited by Hawaiidan

We held a M&G on the Nieuw Amsterdam at 11:00 am today. One of the topics of discussion was the $10 charge for additional entrees. Since I don't eat in the MDR, I am only reported what others said. From what was discussed, the $10 charge is in effect this week. There is an entry on the left side of the menu in small print and many are upset about it. The MDR Servers are taking a beating over this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ya '  I heard about it... at Mc Donalds. Maine.. Its sounds scary knowing how they process  chicken Mc whatever and ribs...  ( Gee Isn't it amazing... everything is exactly the same size.... I wonder  how....  You dont want to know. why)

Fortunately, the lobster isn't compressed into that kind of standardized piece. My only complaint was excess lettuce as filler. The lobster itself was good. 

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

We held a M&G on the Nieuw Amsterdam at 11:00 am today. One of the topics of discussion was the $10 charge for additional entrees. Since I don't eat in the MDR, I am only reported what others said. From what was discussed, the $10 charge is in effect this week. There is an entry on the left side of the menu in small print and many are upset about it. The MDR Servers are taking a beating over this.

Unfortunately, people do tend to "kill the messenger." People should contact the hotel manager instead.

Is HAL trying to push people toward the buffet?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

I tried the best  Reds, Portland, Clam Shack, Thurston.... Cold lobster is not very flavorful compared to HOT lobster  .  after 10 days  I dont want to see lobster for 6 months.

The champion lobster roll of 2017 came not from Maine, not even New England.  It came from UTAH.   Freshies, in Park City, UT, won the World's Best Lobster Roll competition in Portland, ME.   They have their own provider, he flies the lobster in daily (it's only a 45 minute drive down to SLC airport), along with their NE buns.  So, one doesn't need to travel to New England to have a good lobster roll.  And, if you want something good, you can try their rolls with Boston lettuce as the "bun", with sirracha mixed in the butter...  YUMMMMMM. When I get there, I always make a trip to Freshies!!

As for the size/amount of an main course on any cruise ship:  I could never understand why people feel the need to "strap on the feed bag" when they are eating on a cruise ship vs. a restaurant on land.  Sure, people think the food is "free" since there isn't a nightly bill.  But does that mean you have to overeat?   Ask your server if you could get a little of 2 of the main courses if you really must try both.   Me?  I alway ask for extra vegetables.  I don't do red meat, anyway, so I really don't care how big/small the slab is...  The "my kids are tall/athletic", doesn't mean you should encourage them to overeat.  It's a great time to teach them responsible eating and how to best get their nutrients and calories responsibly.

Edited by slidergirl

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Fortunately, the lobster isn't compressed into that kind of standardized piece. My only complaint was excess lettuce as filler. The lobster itself was good. 

Yes, in a fit of what I can only excuse as brainlessness I ordered a "lobster roll" at Red Lobster when out with girlfriends one lunch. Any resemblance to a true real genuine Lobster Roll was purely coincidental. If there was lobster in there, it was well hidden. I am sure even the McLobster would have been far superior.:classic_tongue:

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Unfortunately, people do tend to "kill the messenger." People should contact the hotel manager instead.

Is HAL trying to push people toward the buffet?

Well, that would cut down on the work the already overworked servers in the MDR have to do since HAL did cut staff...  let's say 10 people to serve 300+ at a time in the buffet vs 10 people to serve maybe 30 people in the MDR  in the same time period.  (just an estimate).