Just Back From Mariner of The Seas

Mr305

Just got back from a 2 day cruise on Mariner of The Seas, first Royal Caribbean cruise.

The good...

• Boarding was quick and easy.
  • Port of Miami terminal is beautiful.
  • Coco Cay was nice, even with all the construction going on.
  • Johnny Rockets was great, too bad you have to pay for this.
  • Room steward was fantastic, kept the room spotless and followed up regularly.
  • Ship was clean and staff was for the most part very friendly.
  • Bed was super comfortable, guessing new mattress.

The bad...

• Dining room service was incredibly slow, took us 2.5 hours to eat the first night.
  • Breakfast in the dining room the morning after wasn't any better, waiter took our order and disappeared.  Had to ask a second waiter for coffee and bread.
  • Windjammer, on boarding day, was chaotic to say the least.  We circled for a good 15 minutes before finding a table.  Staff was slow to clean tables and customers were allowed to move chairs around leaving some tables without any.
  • Drink prices a bit on the high side plus 18% service charge.
  • More food venues should open on boarding day, for example, Izumi.  Would alleviate the congestion in Windjammer on boarding day.
  • Ship design, promenade feels like an indoor mall.  There aren't enough seats to listen to music or people watch, it turns into a battle between those wanting to sit around vs those trying to eat at some of the venues there.
  • Studio B is odd, chairs uncomfortable and a bit on the low side.  Ice skating show needs a remake or should be replaced.
  • Shows in general weren't that good, at least for the two days we were on the ship.  Not sure if the experience changes with a longer cruise.

General observations...

• Looks like Royal spent a good chunk of the remodeling budget on upper decks.  Could have used a portion of the budget to refresh some of the other areas.
  • Promenade lacks windows to the outside, given its location.
  • Promenade Cafe food is average at best, pizza is the saving grace.
  • Cruise director, forgot her name, was mediocre.  Visible mostly in the evenings, disappears most of the day.
  • Dining room staff didn't seem motivated, only a small percentage of them.
  • Don't see how Coco Cay's newest areas will be ready by May, a lot of work remains to be done.
  • Overall, food on this ship was just ok, not sure if this is the same across Royal's fleet.  We will be cruising with them again in Summer, that would really suck given that it's a longer cruise.
  • There was a lot of confusion between Terminal A and Terminal G.  Ship left out of Terminal A but was returning to Terminal G.  Royal could have sent out an email a day or two earlier letting everyone know.  Instead, you arrived at Terminal A only to be told you needed to park at Terminal G then return to Terminal A on a shuttle provided by Royal. If you haven't been to Terminal A recently, there's a ton of construction next door, NCL is building a new terminal.  As a result, traffic is slow approaching Terminal A or driving in the immediate area around it.
  • Carnival's steakhouse is superior to Chops Grille.  Quality of steaks, menu options and overall presentation/taste.
Edited by Mr305

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise.  We had different experience and loved Mariner (4 nights).  We came with our kids though and so they really loved the new features.  Sounds like you had a different CD.  We had a male for our CD (Hugo) and he was quite funny...very animated.  I agree that one of the main differences of Voyager class to say Oasis is the lack of food options, but we certainly didn't go hungry.  Our MDR meals were also long, close to 2hrs, but I think that's because our server didn't rush us and let us enjoy the time with our table mates.  Windjammer on any ship is nuts on boarding day .

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think any promenade on a Royal ship has windows to the outside.  It's interior and not meant to.

Hope if you cruise Royal again, that you have a better experience.

Edited by LuCruise

We parked on terminal A and when we disembarked at G , NO ONE had a clue how to get us back to A.  I was with a person on a wheel chair and I think that helped move a resolution along. They eventually put just the 2 of us in a van that was there waiting to pick up another group     Very chaotic. 

Otherwise we enjoyed the cruise and ship. 

M

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

There are no widows in the Royal Promenade on any ship. Sorry you didn't enjoy the cruise. I doubt I would on a 2 day. Going on a 4 day next year out of Port Canaveral, and looking forward to it.

We loved Mariner cruise (4 night) and even have it booked again next summer.

I enjoyed the cruise, it was nice to be out of town for two days.  Although the design of the ship was not ideal for me, it was in good shape and didn't ruin the experience.  Food, on the other hand, was a different story.  Wish that would have been better.  We have another cruise this summer out of Venice on Rhapsody of The Seas, looking forward to it.

Edited by Mr305

Just an FYI:  It truly helps your experience if you research what you are purchasing.  It sounds to me that you did not, if you didn't know that the promenade was inside and the number of dining options.  I highly recommend using a travel agent.  They are trained to match you with the product that you are looking for.