GEM Arrival to NYC delayed because of high winds.

shout19661966

I'm on the sailing after this one, so I was watching on the harbor cam to see the Gem come in.

I started to see her come into view on the camera once she got under the VZ, but the stern came into view on the webcam as she was backing around. She went back under the VZ, and went back out to sea.

I guess she's waiting it out.

Just got a call from a friend who’s picking someone up from the Gem.

Our friend who is onboard just called and apparently the Gem is currently anchored in Long Island Sound and plans to dock in Manhattan tomorrow 2/26 at 0600. This was per a captain’s announcement onboard.

41 minutes ago, shout19661966 said:

Atlantic ocean long island sound is body of water north of long island. An yes the captain announced 630am arrival to port tomorrow morning sucks for the people who were supposed to sail today on that ship.

yeah sucks for people that have to get hotels, sucks for those that have to rebook flights, bus's, trains,  supersaver airfares are not refundable, some bus fares and trains are also not refundable, what a mess!

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

Is it NCL's job to put up the pax who were supposed to leave today in hotels?

no  they are not obligated but passengers will probably receive some type of credit,  they may also offer free internet so people can change their transportation.  I know a few months ago we had a cruise out of nyc that was delayed, they gave us a refund for a day of cruising and a small credit towards our expenses incurred in nyc.

1 hour ago, shout19661966 said:

Atlantic ocean long island sound is body of water north of long island. An yes the captain announced 630am arrival to port tomorrow morning sucks for the people who were supposed to sail today on that ship.

Current sea conditions on Long Island Sound:

STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS EVENING    THIS AFTERNOON  W winds 30 to 35 kt, becoming 25 to 35 kt late.  Gusts up to 50 kt. Seas 5 to 7 ft.  TONIGHT  W winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 45 kt,  diminishing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt after midnight.  Seas 4 to 7 ft, subsiding to 3 to 5 ft after midnight

7 minutes ago, Newleno said:

no  they are not obligated but passengers will probably receive some type of credit,  they may also offer free internet so people can change their transportation.  I know a few months ago we had a cruise out of nyc that was delayed, they gave us a refund for a day of cruising and a small credit towards our expenses incurred in nyc.

The one day refund should be a given since you got one less day of your vacation!

Hope everyone has insurance!

3 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Current sea conditions on Long Island Sound:

STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS EVENING    THIS AFTERNOON  W winds 30 to 35 kt, becoming 25 to 35 kt late.  Gusts up to 50 kt. Seas 5 to 7 ft.  TONIGHT  W winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 45 kt,  diminishing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt after midnight.  Seas 4 to 7 ft, subsiding to 3 to 5 ft after midnight

outside of the missed connections and expenses associated with this delay, well if it were just another day at sea it sounds fun, I enjoy the rocking and rolling, if you could get out on a deck (probably closed) that would be another great adventure.

• Like 3

Just now, newbiecruiser25 said:

I was supposed to leave today on the Gem and they still have yet to even send a text or email with an update. We pulled up at the cruise terminal and the attendant told us to come back tomorrow. 

They are closing the terminal and you should come back  after 9:30am 

From NCL.com:

New York Embarkation Update Norwegian Gem - February 25, 2019 - 3:00 PM EST (7:00 PM UTC)

This is an important embarkation update regarding Norwegian Gem’s sailing of February 25th.   As a result of  strong gale force winds in the Hudson River, check in and embarkation for today’s sailing has been moved to Tuesday, February 26th.   Guests may check in from 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM ET at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

My wife and I were scheduled to leave today on the Gem but at 2pm we were told to come back tomorrow.. no email or text from NCL until 4pm. 

We drove 4 hours for no reason .. 

why didn’t they inform us before ? At 10am today they told us to board between 1:30pm and 5pm. 

We get there at 2 and the ship wasn’t even there !!

Unacceptable customer service !

Edited by Striper55
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, newbiecruiser25 said:

That's all the info I was given. No info about hotel reimbursement or port of call changes yet. No courtesy text about the change however every day they sent a text the past 3 days.

they will give you more information about credit when you get on board, it will be added to your on board account.  Oddly we had problems  receiving information the day of, when we got home after the cruise we had several messages on the landline phone.  things are fluid so be flexible otherwise it can really get to you.   When this happened to us, the time to embark kept changing, when we finally got to nyc penn station while walking to the hudson we saw our ship sail by heading to the pier.  i was like: "well thats not good" we finally embarked around midnight with a muster around 2:30am

Edited by Newleno

1 minute ago, Striper55 said:

My wife and I were scheduled to leave today on the Gem but at 2pm we were told to come back tomorrow.. no email or text from NCL unto 4pm. 

We drove 4 hours for no reason .. 

why didn’t they inform us before ? At 10am today they told us to board between 1:30pm and 5pm. 

Webgotvthere at 2 and the ship wasn’t even there !!

Unacceptable customer service !

yeah dont know why they cant get this part of their organization "on board", frustrating and not acceptable.

• Like 1