Water taxi in Venice

Luv2cruz1000

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What does one do if one does have mobility problems??

GC

If you're looking at getting TO the ship, the best option is a land taxi from the airport (if going directly to ship). Or if staying in Venice, pick a hotel on Piazzale Roma and get a land taxi from there to the port. It's a short distance and they will overcharge you, but the taxi should be able to get you close to the actual check-in point.

If disembarking in Venice, arrange a land taxi to take you to the airport or to a hotel on Piazzale Roma. 

Edited by cruisemom42

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

you would probably catch a land taxi to take you from the pier to Piazzale Roma, and get dropped off at one of the hotels right on the square. 

I'm referring to what was described, I thought, as a very long walk to the *ship*, and still with luggage (?).

But this reverse, might have the same problem...

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you're looking at getting TO the ship, the best option is a land taxi from the airport (if going directly to ship). Or if staying in Venice, pick a hotel on Piazzale Roma and get a land taxi from there to the port. It's a short distance and they will overcharge you, but the taxi should be able to get you close to the actual check-in point.

If disembarking in Venice, arrange a land taxi to take you to the airport or to a hotel on Piazzale Roma. 

And this will get one closer than what was described above?  That sounded daunting... especially with luggage and *no* porters.  Usually, in worst cases, if we've got porter assistance, then most of these types of walks are doable.  But with all the luggage still... not so good...  (and no, we absolutely cannot travel with just a small carry-on each, as wonderful as that would be!)

Thanks.

GC

11 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And this will get one closer than what was described above?  That sounded daunting... especially with luggage and *no* porters.  Usually, in worst cases, if we've got porter assistance, then most of these types of walks are doable.  But with all the luggage still... not so good...  (and no, we absolutely cannot travel with just a small carry-on each, as wonderful as that would be!)

Thanks.

GC

This will get you closer than the People Mover or the Allilaguna stop. The taxi should be able to take you right to the building (there are several) where your check-in is located. From there, one of you might be able to go inside and locate someone to help with the luggage.

If you are staying in a hotel beforehand (hopefully on Piazzale Roma), you might also correspond with them and let them know of your concerns. They may have a taxi or driver service that they work with and who would be willing to assist you with the bags (e.g., more than just in/out of the trunk).

Maybe Euro cruiser will chime in with other ideas, as she has traveled with some family members with limited mobility.

Not a problem if you stay at a hotel accessible by taxi and go to the Cruise terminal by taxi.

- problem only if you want to take the water bus and/or staying at a hotel In Venice only accessible by boat.

I am one that feels the expense of a water taxi is worth it for the ease with luggage. 

Last time we ran into strikes when neither vaporettos nor alilaguna were running.   After standing outside waiting in the rain for near an hour at an stop where they were supposed to be running😟

A private sunrise water taxi trip to the airport is one of our fondest memories of Venice.  

Ifyou are flying out of Venice be there three hours ahead as it can be very congested.  The alilaguna is incredibly slow unless you are on the north side nearest the airport.  

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

I am one that feels the expense of a water taxi is worth it for the ease with luggage. 

Last time we ran into strikes when neither vaporettos nor alilaguna were running.   After standing outside waiting in the rain for near an hour at an stop where they were supposed to be running😟

A private sunrise water taxi trip to the airport is one of our fondest memories of Venice.  

Ifyou are flying out of Venice be there three hours ahead as it can be very congested.  The alilaguna is incredibly slow unless you are on the north side nearest the airport.  

Good recommendation. I have booked a shared taxi on Viator based on your recommendation.

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

It's worth reiterating, though, that for those with mobility issues, there is a long walk to the water taxi stand at the airport (and to the Alilaguna stop), whereas the taxis and buses are closer.

Similarly, at the port itself, the land taxis can get you closer to your terminal than either a water taxi or an Alilaguna in most cases.

Cruisemom, You are correct about the walk at the airport,  though it’s flat it’s about five to ten Minutes.   

To clarify, I was responding to leaving a hotel in Venice,  the ease of loading luggage directly into a waiting boat and then getting whisked to the airport.  We also found the water taxi took us directly to the cruise ship  which also made it very easy with luggage.  

If one was leaving a cruise directly to the airport I would recommend Treviso car service as we have had a very good experience with them on two occasions. 

Edited by bennybear

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:19 PM, Luv2cruz1000 said:

I am trying to weigh if the cost for a water taxi is worth it? Do they dock right at the cruise ship in port or do you have to walk near the people mover or p.roma? We will have luggage and considering not struggling with the vaporetti. We are staying in venice following the cruise. Any thoughts?

Taxi from where the airport??

if so take a land based Taxi very quick and very reasonable, then you don't have to worry about schlepping luggage.

Venice is a nightmare with luggage, was there 2 years ago and heading again in May.

1 minute ago, Mrs Humuhumu said:

If I get a private water taxi from our cruise ship to our hotel (hotel accessible only by water), will I have to drag luggage to the waiting private water taxi or will the water taxi driver help me? 

I suspect you and your luggage are on your own. Pack lightly.

8 minutes ago, Mrs Humuhumu said:

ApolloBeach - have you taken a private water taxi from a cruise ship in Venice the past?

I have been to Venice many times and have travelled in Italy many times. I think we are on our own with our luggage. They may help you from the dock into the boat. That would be all you can expect.

• 1 month later...