Water taxi in Venice

Luv2cruz1000

I am trying to weigh if the cost for a water taxi is worth it? Do they dock right at the cruise ship in port or do you have to walk near the people mover or p.roma? We will have luggage and considering not struggling with the vaporetti. We are staying in venice following the cruise. Any thoughts?

I am also considering a water taxi or a vaporetto (public transport and much less expensive). Have you looked at Venice Link?

https://www.venicelink.com/en 

They have links for shuttles to/from the airport and the cruise terminal:

https://www.venicelink.com/en/products/shuttle

I'll be in Venice in July.

Edited by ApolloBeachRetiree

On researching taxis I noticed that a water taxi may take extra passengers on. Does that then mean we share the cost or are we charged the full amount as if we travelled alone. I realize I can possibly find others going to the same place to share cost,but wondered if the taxi operator found others if the same applies.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:19 AM, Luv2cruz1000 said:

I am trying to weigh if the cost for a water taxi is worth it? Do they dock right at the cruise ship in port or do you have to walk near the people mover or p.roma? We will have luggage and considering not struggling with the vaporetti. We are staying in venice following the cruise. Any thoughts?

the dock where water taxis and alilaguna are found is directly opposite the people mover

depending on where your ship is docked it can be quite a distance to drag your luggage to there

To answer a few questions:

1) The cost for the water taxi is a fixed rate based on the distance. If you have more people, the cost per person decreases. I'm not sure the water taxi will "find" others to share, but if YOU do, the cost is split among everyone.

2)  The walk in the Marittima port can indeed be long, depending on which terminal your ship is at.  We were docked there last Spring on a smaller ship that usually docks at San Basilio.  It was a long walk from the People Mover to the terminal entrance for our ship, especially with luggage. I never saw any porters on either day (we were there overnight).

3) Taking a water taxi or Alilaguna will save you about 400 ft of walking versus where you alight from the People Mover.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ApolloBeachRetiree said:

Here is a map of the cruise port:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Venice

As long as you're not carrying lots of luggage, the walk doesn't look too bad. I have seen comments that the walk is a fairly long one. However, they probably have porters if you need help.

Never seen porters available to help

and with a disabled husband I looked for them!

On 2/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, ApolloBeachRetiree said:

I have pretty much decided to take an Alilaguna.

My preferred way of travel - just remember that it will take 1 hour 45 minutes. Alilaguna stop is next to the cruise terminal 

24 minutes ago, hallasm said:

My preferred way of travel - just remember that it will take 1 hour 45 minutes. Alilaguna stop is next to the cruise terminal 

We won't go directly to the airport as we're staying in Venice for two days. 

We'll take the Alilaguna to our hotel (near San Marco) and from our hotel to the airport. Our flight leaves at 11:00 so we'll need to catch an early shuttle. The Alilaguna should take about 1 hour 20 minutes to get to the airport from San Marco.

Even better. Yes, 1:20 from San Marco - we did once take the Waters Bus from Ospedale  - missed the 'bus' at San Marco - 20 minutes walk from San Marco - then it was only 40 minutes to airport - might be too long with luggage after a cruise.

Enjoy Venice. Don't miss a Traghetto ride across the canal.

9 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Even better. Yes, 1:20 from San Marco - we did once take the Waters Bus from Ospedale  - missed the 'bus' at San Marco - 20 minutes walk from San Marco - then it was only 40 minutes to airport - might be too long with luggage after a cruise.

Enjoy Venice. Don't miss a Traghetto ride across the canal.

I'll have to check with my grandson but chances are he will want to do this.

We have booked the Hotel Flora - it's more expensive than other hotels but I figured since it is the end of our trip, we could splurge. However, do you know this hotel and what is your opinion of it? Do you recommend a different hotel?

I highly recommend a water taxi to the airport in spite of the cost. It will take less half the time.  Ask your hotel concierge if anyone else is going at the same time. That would cut your cost in half

Edited by Earl Rosebery
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Earl Rosebery said:

I highly recommend a water taxi to the airport in spite of the cost. It will take less half the time.  Ask your hotel concierge if anyone else is going at the same time. That would cut your cost in half

This is an option I'll investigate once we're at our hotel.

12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What does one do if one does have mobility problems??

GC

you would probably catch a land taxi to take you from the pier to Piazzale Roma, and get dropped off at one of the hotels right on the square. 

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What does one do if one does have mobility problems??

GC

Venice is a challenge!

there is supposed to be wheelchair accessible routes but can be hard to find

lots of little bridges with steps up and down

OK with walking stick but impossible with wheelchair 

P Roma is the last accessible area by land taxi or bus-a few hotels in that area but elevators if exist very small

From there there is level or gentle slope to Vaparetto stand where can get no 1 to San Marco passing Rialto bridge on way-takes about an hour

you can "roll" onto the vaparettos