MSC World Class Ship

sidari

Dear Dr. Cocktail: Again; let us to remove the Aqua Theatre on the RCI's Oasis Class and we will have likely such a 200.000GT ship. No more, no less. And the Aqua Theatre is barely used for some 10 hours a week, weather permitting!... That is the RCI's business model for those ships. But that comes with the prices they charge to enter that experience, doesn't it?

Agree on hiring better architectural designer team overall for the inside designs. The aft part of that World Class model showed on the photos seems to be a joke, if it wasn't made a joke in purpose to not show the good news for now. It is just to compare it with "Central Park" and the "Board Walk" areas on the Oasis class. Certainly they will need something cheaper than those neighbourhoods to keep it in line with the different price tag... But hey! At least bring us something nice for the passengers and profitable for them!... The World Class seems to me like they designed those ships with the inside in mind not the outside, so they are ships for all climates, not just the Caribbean summer ones, but Mediterranean fall to spring or northern Europe summer as well. And by watching the prototype they will sort of to spread the crowds quite well enough.

Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras

20 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC IS building 4 64,000GT ships that will enter service from 2023 to 2026. Not much info on them, though.

That's the plan from what I've read. Everyone on the ship will have butler/concierge service...basically, Yacht Club for all 500 staterooms. 

Watch for news in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 11:25 PM, Nunagoras said:

Dear all!

Too early and very few official information to comment those images. Certainly the ships are smaller than the RCI's Oasis class, but do note that they seem to make advantage of sort of a better space use. Let us to see all that space devoted to the Aqua Theatre on the RCI ship. If we cut that area we can very well stick with a 200.000GT ship!... Do note that the RCI Aqua Theatre starts at deck 3 or 4. It is a large superstructure poorly used on the whole ship!... 🙂

Arguably per those photos they will have:

1. A 6 deck YC (actually 7 if we count the pool deck).

2. 4 "Steerage" social areas below the YC from decks 9 to 12. What else?... Bars? Restaurants?...

3. something undefined on deck 8 below the social areas at the front. Perhaps some cabins with just a window?

4. Perhaps a "Cirque du Soleil" lounge and Disco on the aft section from decks 5 to 7.

5. No cabins with aft view.

...And that is all what I can speculate right now. That aft section seems pretty much unfinished or better perhaps not published on purpose, because obviously they will have something nicer for guests and above all something they can monetise on!

I believe they will start with the 200.000GT prototype... But their goal is to have the largest in the world!... That is another story not for today!

would I ever go on those ships? If price and itinerary are good enough, who knows!...

Have a nice day!... 🙂

Let me to give such an update from what I have just finished to see from a Portuguese Travel Agent facebook page video: The deck 8 thing below the social areas at the front I speculated as undefined are definitely balcony cabins! Have a nice weekend!... 🙂

Edited by Nunagoras

On 2/28/2019 at 6:08 PM, sidari said:

BB ... Not sure what you mean about the YC on the World Class ship, not heard anything about the small YC ships which seems to me to be a pointless exercise.

Currently the YC enjoys an area where people staying in it have exclusivity onboard, on the smaller ships everyone will be in the YC and therefore no exclusivity.

They need these small Yacht Club ships, to compete against Crystal and other Luxury Lines.  I think the small YC Vessels, will be better, than YC on larger ships!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:40 PM, gtaylor said:

Right, if everyone is special, then nobody is special.

Butler assisted priority disembarkation when everyone has a butler?

gary

Luxury lines all do this, it is common for that class of ships.  I will be curious how MSC does, directly competing with Cunard Queen's Grill, Silversea, Europa I & II, Seabourn, Crystal, Sea Dream, Ritz Carlton, Regent, Windstar, & others.  If you thrown in premium lines such as Disney, Oceania, Azamara, Virgin, & others, it is a crowded field.

Their Room Service Menu, needs serious updating, as too to have the option, to dine anywhere on the ship's public areas, with Room Service; like the other's offer.  MSC needs to step-up their game, now that they are entering the Premium/Luxury ship market!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Their Room Service Menu, needs serious updating, as too to have the option, to dine anywhere on the ship's public areas, with Room Service; like the other's offer.  MSC needs to step-up their game, now that they are entering the Premium/Luxury ship market! 

MSC really needs to include in suite/on balcony dining. We had a huge balcony with a table/seating for 6 but were only able to have breakfast/room service served on the balcony. With NCL's Haven (the closest thing to the Yacht Club), MDR, complimentary dining, specialty dining, and even Haven dining options were available in suite/on balcony.

• Like 1

This is really a let down, as the top Duplex Suite & YC as well, have no real meals, that can be delivered.  Even Princes, RCL's Suites, etc., have this (full Dining Room Menu, for Room Service Dining) as a dining option, but MSC doesn't?  What then, are butlers for: on Premium/Luxury Lines, they serve you, course by course?  Even their YC Tea Service, is substandard, compared to other lines. 

23 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Dear Dr. Cocktail: Again; let us to remove the Aqua Theatre on the RCI's Oasis Class and we will have likely such a 200.000GT ship. No more, no less. And the Aqua Theatre is barely used for some 10 hours a week, weather permitting!... That is the RCI's business model for those ships. But that comes with the prices they charge to enter that experience, doesn't it?

I think you might be over-estimating the size of the Aqua Theatre on Oasis Class. It looks like it's 5-7% of the ship at most. And while the area is under used in terms of time, it does provide an additional theater to disperse passengers during the evening when crowding seems to be the most noticeable. 

But, perhaps more importantly, the design of the Aft on Oasis class brings ample light to the Boardwalk making boardwalk facing cabins desirable. I think we can all agree that over time, it's proven to be an popular (and profitable)  design.

Image result for oasis of the seas ariel

My comparison to Virgin wasn't the size of the ship, or the service. I mistakenly thought that the new smaller vessels for MSC were going to be adult only, in which  case both "V's"; Viking and Virgin come into play. Alas, the more I read about Virgin, I think they may have carved out an even smaller niche cruising market than the luxury lines.

Of course, all this is nothing more than interesting chatter until MSC releases actual deck plans and accurate models. Even then, much of the design is only truly tested when the ship sails at full capacity. Like most here, I do wish MSC success. 

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think you might be over-estimating the size of the Aqua Theatre on Oasis Class. It looks like it's 5-7% of the ship at most. And while the area is under used in terms of time, it does provide an additional theater to disperse passengers during the evening when crowding seems to be the most noticeable. 

But, perhaps more importantly, the design of the Aft on Oasis class brings ample light to the Boardwalk making boardwalk facing cabins desirable. I think we can all agree that over time, it's proven to be an popular (and profitable)  design.

Image result for oasis of the seas ariel

My comparison to Virgin wasn't the size of the ship, or the service. I mistakenly thought that the new smaller vessels for MSC were going to be adult only, in which  case both "V's"; Viking and Virgin come into play. Alas, the more I read about Virgin, I think they may have carved out an even smaller niche cruising market than the luxury lines.

Of course, all this is nothing more than interesting chatter until MSC releases actual deck plans and accurate models. Even then, much of the design is only truly tested when the ship sails at full capacity. Like most here, I do wish MSC success. 

Obviously I understand your point. Do note though that the Aqua Theatre in the Oasis class starts at deck 3 or 4. Those ships were built clearly with good weather in mind, while the World Class is being built with all weather conditions in mind. Of course the RCI's design is pretty much profitable for them, and I'm fortunate enough to have experienced it a few years ago!... But, I also experienced some bad weather during my trip, then I had to deal with those oddities. It was clear that the Aqua Theatre only works mother nature cooperating. The World Class seems to follow another far different perspective. Only with more information and eventually the ship sailing we will see if better or worse. I bet better faking in consideration their different business models. On the Word Class you have all the space pretty much usable till deck 7, not 3 our 4 like in RCI! It might to be a big design difference!... Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, Beamafar said:

Totally agree, Heather!  I felt the very same way about Meraviglia - especially having sailed mostly in Fantasia-class ships.  We disliked the focus on the Galleria and the crowding in the evenings.  We also felt that the nightly lights  "show" spoiled the ambiance in the speciality restaurants as they're located in the Galleria area.  We were subjected to a children's "jingle" 3 times on the night we were in Butcher's Cut - almost ruined the experience for us.  After disembarking, we said we'd never sail on her again unless we were in YC - we absolutely loved the YC layout and ambiance.  We're on in YC again in October and hoping we have as good a time.

Hopefully this new-class ship will have the best elements of Fantasia-class ships in terms of lounges and entertainment.  They'll need to spread it out so that it doesn't get so crowded in one particular area - especially with the numbers these behemoths are going to hold.  After badly designing Meraviglia , I hope they've learned their lesson.

I said the same thing about Meraviglia when we sailed on her.  http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=12438

We felt much more likely to sail on  a Seaside class, we were Aurea balcony, on her the free flowing nature of the design could handle the passenger numbers  much more easily.

i' not sure whether MSC have learned the lesson  when it comes to the World Class design

pete

1 hour ago, Skier52 said:

I said the same thing about Meraviglia when we sailed on her.  

We felt much more likely to sail on  a Seaside class, we were Aurea balcony, on her the free flowing nature of the design could handle the passenger numbers  much more easily.

i' not sure whether MSC have learned the lesson  when it comes to the World Class design.

pete

We haven't done a Seaside-class, yet;  we're booked on Seaview for August, travelling with a couple who have been in YC on both Meraviglia and Seaview.  They, too, preferred Seaview - including the YC area - so looking forward to checking it out.  Apparently Bellissima has a similar YC layout to Seaside/Seaview in terms of the TSL and restaurant;  as I loved the restaurant on Meraviglia, I'm not sure if this will appeal.  I didn't care for it when I first saw the photos of Seaside - reminded me of an airport terminal.  I've been assured that's it's nothing like that - we'll see.

It seems that the YC will have more decks and cabins on the World-Class ships;  between that and the numbers that these ships will hold, I'm not sure that we'll be sailing on one.