Bringing Nintendo Switch on board

KrakedMask

A few of my friends and I have the Switch and plan on bringing one with to play Super Smash and Drunk Driving Mario Kart while on board, we will be on Sunrise this November. Will any tvs have an HDMI port we can use to plug the dock into or will we have to just play with the handheld? 

45 minutes ago, KrakedMask said:

A few of my friends and I have the Switch and plan on bringing one with to play Super Smash and Drunk Driving Mario Kart while on board, we will be on Sunrise this November. Will any tvs have an HDMI port we can use to plug the dock into or will we have to just play with the handheld? 

This is a frequent question on JH's FB page. You will not be able to use the HDMI port of the tv.

3 minutes ago, IPlayWithString said:

Plus with all the things to do onboard, why on earth would you want to be stuck in your cabin playing a video game? AND who wants the hassle of dragging a video game system with them on vacation?

Well the Switch is not very space intensive. It's barely more than a hand-held.  I don't think I read anywhere in his post that he would do nothing but stay in his cabin and play games.  Probably plenty of time left over after gaming to go out and enjoy ship stuff.  But as far as I have read, Carnival does disable the ports on the TVs so the point is moot. 

Except I think I read that they may set them up for use if you are in a suite.  I tried to look it up just now but Carnival site is throwing bad request errors every time I try to click a link from search.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

My opinion - the reason is most likely that if someone plugs in a device with a virus on it, they could disable the whole system for the ship.  All tvs on the ship are connected to one system.    

no it couldn't, the TV's are not networked. also you're not on line, you are just playing a game or watching a video, no viruses.  There are workarounds for using an HDMI cable, You Tube it

5 hours ago, KrakedMask said:

Nope.  All of the inputs on their TV's are disabled.  You won't be able to hook your game up to it.

3 hours ago, IPlayWithString said:

Plus with all the things to do onboard, why on earth would you want to be stuck in your cabin playing a video game? AND who wants the hassle of dragging a video game system with them on vacation?

The real question is why would anyone be so judgmental towards people enjoying different things than they do?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

those computer games have more on them than you think.  As a retired computer tech, I know.  Not saying you would intentionally load a virus onto the system, but it is possible.  

As an active software developer, no, it’s not.

• Like 4

Just off the Vista and not only are the HDMI ports disabled, but they have disabled the Input selector, so you couldn't change to an HDMI feed anyway.

But you should be able to just use the portable part of it.
I usually bring my 3DS along to pass the time as I laze about in Serenity.

13 hours ago, IPlayWithString said:

This is like asking who on earth would bring a book on a cruise  

Also half the appeal of the Switch is how portable it is

• Like 10

I brought a Switch on board my cruise in April, and it was great. No need for a TV, just popped the kickstand out and was able to play multiplayer NBA 2K and Mario Kart anywhere on the ship. Didn't use it a ton, but it was nice to pass the time in between activities.

45 minutes ago, thenexus2k said:

Let's be totally honest here, the TVs in the cabins are not exactly top of the line models. You will probably get better quality letting the switch itself handle the video anyway, even if the HDMIs were not disabled....

+1 Until it's recent drydocking, the TVs on the Pride were the old tube TVs that didn't even have HDMI ports.

As for why they disable the HDMI ports, my guess is they don't want people that don't have a foggy clue about electronics (which is the majority of cruisers) playing with the wiring. No one knows for sure. 

Edited by BigBuoys

2 hours ago, BigBuoys said:

+1 Until it's recent drydocking, the TVs on the Pride were the old tube TVs that didn't even have HDMI ports.

As for why they disable the HDMI ports, my guess is they don't want people that don't have a foggy clue about electronics (which is the majority of cruisers) playing with the wiring. No one knows for sure. 

I would guess that they don’t want people bringing Roku sticks and complaining about the WiFi as well as making it worse.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

I would guess that they don’t want people bringing Roku sticks and complaining about the WiFi as well as making it worse.

Nobody knows the exact answer to this question except for @SNJCruisers. They have a diversified past of many different cruise lines as well as a history of many cruises over a long period of time. One that no other cruiser in the world could ever surpass. They are to Cruise Critic what Kim Jong-un is to North Koreans. One can only hope that they come to this thread and resolve the answer to this pressing question once and for all.

Edited by BigBuoys

On 2/28/2019 at 7:00 PM, ABQrobin said:

those computer games have more on them than you think.  As a retired computer tech, I know.  Not saying you would intentionally load a virus onto the system, but it is possible.  

Ummmmmmm what? I'd imagine you've been retired for awhile. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Does carnival allow you to rent movies through the tv? If so that seems like the obvious answer. Why make it easy to play your own movies or Netflix on the tv instead of paying to rent their movies.

I have no idea since my husband and I load our ipad up with movies to watch and bring it along.  lol.  I thought about bringing my Nintendo Switch along a time or two, with my kindle and ipad.  Sometimes we sit on deck with a headphone splitter watching movies together.  Sometimes in another part of the ship.  We prefer the movies out on the big screen on deck, but some ships don't have that so we improvise.  Sometimes I get tired of being around people and want to go hang out in the room or balcony for a little quiet time.  The Switch is a great little portable system.  And we are not young kids- I am 57 and he is 67.   Still love video games the way I did in my 20's when we had computers without hard drives and you had to play games on big floppy drives in Dos.  ha ha.  No idea why people get down on how others choose to enjoy themselves while they cruise, as long as it does not negatively impact another person.   🙂

• Like 3