Ship tenders

Bengalfang

Any port can be a tender port if there are more ships in port than dock space. Juneau is known for this issue. Some days there is one more ship in port at Juneau than there are docks.

Generally, I would think it a very low probability you will be tendering in any of your ports.

54 minutes ago, TonyB17 said:

There were three or four ships at every port on our last trip to Alaska on HAL.  Never had to use a tender. 

I believe the number of docks at Juneau is 4. So a fifth ship would tender. Sitka is another example of more ships than docks occurring...I believe there is only one dock there.

HAL usually gets the best spot on the dock. They plan their itineraries so they don't need to tender. In Ketchikan if there are two ships one will dock from 7-1 and the other from 2-7. It is amazing how well they swap places. We were scheduled to arrive at two and were actuality getting off the ship at 1:30.

I think your printed itinerary for your HAL cruise, which is part of the documentation you should receive, will indicate which ports are tender ports.  I agree with the above poster who said that it is unlikely that you will tender in the ports you mentioned.

We currently have four tender ports for Viking Orion including embarkation at Vancouver. Viking don’t seem to willingly release this info on the itinerary and had to directly ask them. 

6 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I've attached your ships port schedule in a screen capture. Check your port schedule to see the passenger port load, port arrive and depart times, and other ships sharing the port at http://m.cruisett.com/

Westerdam Aug 11, 2019.jpg

Unfortunately cruisett doesn’t list all the ships. Viking for instance is missing. Could be others. 

I missed that. Viking appears to be a new player in Alaska so that may explain why the 930 passenger ship didn't make it on the cruisett list. Looks like they have 11 day cruise that may overlap the Westerdam departing Vancouver on the 11th - north on 4th and south on 14th. Viking does not make it easy to see the info. A friend just got back from a Viking cruise and really loved it. They already have one scheduled for 2020. We, unfortunately, have overlap with the Ovation in Juneau which makes the port load nearly 9,000! What I did was contact my cruise line about tendering in which ports and it only took them a week to get an answer back to me ;=]

Edited by masterdrago