Coach from Anchorage to Seward Holland America

dundeene

We are on a Land/Cruise tour with HAL.  It includes a transfer by coach from Anchorage to Seward.  Has anyone taken this bus?  Does it stop at Beluga Point or Tracy Arm for Photo ops/  Or drive straight through?

thanks

9 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I think you mean Turnagin Arm?

The one time I took a bus from Anchorage to Seward, it did not stop.  YMMV.

oops, thanks

Yes, I did mean Turnagain Arm. Did you get the transfer with a land tour from Holland America? Or did you book independently?

20 hours ago, dundeene said:

We are on a Land/Cruise tour with HAL.  It includes a transfer by coach from Anchorage to Seward.  Has anyone taken this bus?  Does it stop at Beluga Point or Tracy Arm for Photo ops/  Or drive straight through?

thanks

We have taken the HAL transfers.  The driver will probably make a “comfort” stop or restroom break.  It will depend on the bus driver as to where it is convenient to stop due to traffic, his/her schedule, and the port-a-potty locations.  The route is all scenic so you can take pictures whereever the bus stops.

Remember, the tour buses are 40 feet long... They can't just pull off on the shoulder. And if one person gets off, everyone wants off, which will take 10 to 15 minutes to unload and 10-15 minutes to load back up.

I drove 2 seasons for Holland America and our Anchorage to Seward shuttle was straight through. We only had a couple of places we were approved to stop at, but usually for the sake of time we didn't.

Thank you so much for your replies.  I thought it unlikely they would stop, but there are many bus tours from Anchorage to Seward that include photo stops or even lunch at Girdwood.

The initial info you get from HAL before final payment it pretty vague. 

Have you considered upgrading to the train - it is a great train ride. Ranked one of the best in the US for scenery. Or booking the train yourself?

Edited by Coral

On 3/2/2019 at 11:41 AM, dundeene said:

oops, thanks

Yes, I did mean Turnagain Arm. Did you get the transfer with a land tour from Holland America? Or did you book independently?

Yes.  On my first Alaska cruise, I flew in same day as cruise ship departure from Seward.  Took the Holland sponsored bus direct to Seward.

Since then, I've arranged my itineraries to include the morning Alaska Railroad trip from Anchorage to Seward.  Then I take a multi-hour cruise of Resurrection Bay before boarding ship.

5 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Since then, I've arranged my itineraries to include the morning Alaska Railroad trip from Anchorage to Seward.  Then I take a multi-hour cruise of Resurrection Bay before boarding ship.

Or,  consider the even better  Kenai Fjords boat tours.   :)    More  wildlife and grossly superior glacier viewing compared to the bay tours.       Great transit via the Alaska RR  as stated above.   

4 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Or,  consider the even better  Kenai Fjords boat tours.  🙂   More  wildlife and grossly superior glacier viewing compared to the bay tours.       Great transit via the Alaska RR  as stated above.   

Agree. I've taken the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise that leaves at 11:30 and it has always been one of my trip highlights.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:49 AM, Coral said:

Have you considered upgrading to the train - it is a great train ride. Ranked one of the best in the US for scenery. Or booking the train yourself?

Trains don't stop either unless you pull the emergency brake.  That is one of many things that I hate about train travel in scenic areas.

DON

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Trains don't stop either unless you pull the emergency brake.  That is one of many things that I hate about train travel in scenic areas.

DON

I still love the train. It is a very scenic ride.