Stateroom Door Decorations

ScottC4746

Just curious.  My first HAL cruise is coming up in April and my last cruise was on RCCL.  Do passengers decorate their doors on HAL?  I have never understood the reason behind it.  It makes the corridor seem like a university dorm corridor.

41 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Do passengers decorate their doors on HAL?

Not normally. Once in a while you see a birthday decoration, or something else to mark the door. But for the most part the doors are as HAL provided.

48 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just curious.  My first HAL cruise is coming up in April and my last cruise was on RCCL.  Do passengers decorate their doors on HAL?  I have never understood the reason behind it.  It makes the corridor seem like a university dorm corridor.

Decorating doors is now prohibited to prevent fire hazards etc.....

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Door-Decorations058.pdf

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Decorating doors is now prohibited to prevent fire hazards etc.....

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Door-Decorations058.pdf

Actually not - I was on Zaandam 22 day South America/Antarctica cruise in Dec/Jan.  Quite a few doors decorated on my deck - lots of Christmas/penguin themes.  

14 minutes ago, BJzink said:

Actually not - I was on Zaandam 22 day South America/Antarctica cruise in Dec/Jan.  Quite a few doors decorated on my deck - lots of Christmas/penguin themes.  

Thanks for the feedback.  Didn’t hear that some ships still permitted these decorations.  

Apparently fire hazards are ship specific now....I wonder if that was the real reason for the memo I posted.    Hmmmmm

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Agree, something that is discouraged. Though some leave a small visible location marker , but it has not become the dorm room competition frenzy one finds on other ships. HAL ships remain low-key and reasonably discrete. A hallway of flamboyant door decorations can be a fire hazard as well. 

Odd contradiction:: passengers who want to dress down on Gala Nights, but dress up their cabin doors?

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Agree, something that is discouraged. Though some leave a small visible location marker , but it has not become the dorm room competition frenzy one finds on other ships. HAL ships remain low-key and reasonably discrete. A hallway of flamboyant door decorations can be a fire hazard as well. 

Odd contradiction:: passengers who want to dress down on Gala Nights, but dress up their cabin doors?

The door can't complain about uncomfortable "clothing."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

We were on the Amsterdam on the Grand Asia, and it was strictly forbidden to have anything on the doors.  It was enforced.

The memo in the link provided by The-Inside-Cabin was also on the Amsterdam. On the other hand, on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month, there were several decorated cabin doors for the duration of the cruise. Different Hotel Directors, different rules.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The memo in the link provided by The-Inside-Cabin was also on the Amsterdam. On the other hand, on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month, there were several decorated cabin doors for the duration of the cruise. Different Hotel Directors, different rules.

My apologies for posting something unnecessary.  I assume that was your point?

There were birthday balloons from HAL on several doors on the K in January. I saw a few personal decorations, but nothing very large. The largest one was a whiteboard, about 12x14 inches (plus pen) on which the owner put the poll of the day. Questions like favorite movie star, favorite olympic sport, etc. 

1 minute ago, Tampa Girl said:

My apologies for posting something unnecessary.  I assume that was your point?

Not at all. In fact, it was quite interesting to see that two posters who have experienced it were on the same ship. 

Different ships must have different rules.  Room doors on the Maasdam had quite a few pictures and signs on them.  Balloons too.  (No real fire hazards, just one over the top cluster of balloons.  When they were gifted to us, DH delighted in popping them all.) 

I was glad that we had a Cruise Critic picture on our door, because it resulted in a knock at the door.  Brand new Cruise Critic passengers could not unlock the room that they had been assigned.  They were able to phone the front desk from our room and sort out the problem.

Barbara

Search "images" for Carnival Cruise Ship Door Decorations and you will see what HAL is trying to nip in the bud - don't forget they are bringing in a new generation of passengers and want to move some of the lower priced CLL family onto other higher-priced CLL family ships. They will come with different traditions and different expectations.

See if this works: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=carnival+cruise+ships+door+decorations&t=osx&iax=images&ia=images

Edited by OlsSalt

Different ships must have different rules.  Room doors on the Maasdam had quite a few pictures and signs on them.  Balloons too.  (No real fire hazards, just one over the top cluster of balloons.  When they were gifted to us, DH delighted in popping them all.) 
I was glad that we had a Cruise Critic picture on our door, because it resulted in a knock at the door.  Brand new Cruise Critic passengers could not unlock the room that they had been assigned.  They were able to phone the front desk from our room and sort out the problem.
Barbara

I suspect that the rule is fleet wide but enforcement varies. On short cruise management probably figures why bother with the hassle they will be gone in a week. Longer cruises may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a few cabin decorations on Zuiderdam in December. Was surprised because I had heard of the supposed prohibition before. I recall that the folks in the cabin next to us in April/May on Maasdam had their door decorated with postcards from the ports of call too. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Not at all. In fact, it was quite interesting to see that two posters who have experienced it were on the same ship. 

Not at the same time, however.  The Inside Cabin may be on the WC now or perhaps they were on last year's, and the prohibition was in effect then.  Wish I were on the ship now!

35 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I suspect that the rule is fleet wide but enforcement varies. On short cruise management probably figures why bother with the hassle they will be gone in a week. Longer cruises may be different.

I think you hit the nail on the head!  

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

We were on board for 56 days.  Some passengers stay longer for this In-Depth experience.

Last year we were on the Volendam for 58 days.  There were no door decoration restrictions there either.  We almost never decorate our door, but they are harmless.  Most are tasteful, simply erasing anonimity or are entertaining.  They also help other passengers find their own doors.

Barbara

Not at the same time, however.  The Inside Cabin may be on the WC now or perhaps they were on last year's, and the prohibition was in effect then.  Wish I were on the ship now!

The memo I posted was from the 2018 WC. Funny that it was distributed on 2017 Grand Asia letterhead. I am not on 2019 WC. Back for 2020