Another dress code question

Werangels

6 hours ago, Werangels said:

Thank you. I’d better look at M&S 20% off then!

Wearing shorts in Windows Buffet restaurant and the Patio in the evening is fine, I’ve often done so in the warmer climes, just beware if he goes to the Cabaret lounge in the evening it can get a bit nippy on the knees😀

3 hours ago, Azamarajunkie said:

Wearing shorts in Windows Buffet restaurant and the Patio in the evening is fine, I’ve often done so in the warmer climes, just beware if he goes to the Cabaret lounge in the evening it can get a bit nippy on the knees😀

Haha!  If he doesn’t behave, I may subject him to that 😉

Just a quick heads up on clothing: just back from a Panama Canal cruise and only wore my « tropic » duds when on excursions or on the Canal (very hot in these cases). Otherwise my clothing tended to be the usual things I wear on Transatlantics. Need a sweater at all times. The AC kept the ship pretty cool.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:29 AM, MaisonRose said:

Just a quick heads up on clothing: just back from a Panama Canal cruise and only wore my « tropic » duds when on excursions or on the Canal (very hot in these cases). Otherwise my clothing tended to be the usual things I wear on Transatlantics. Need a sweater at all times. The AC kept the ship pretty cool.

We're cruising in Asia in what is still their summer.  This is not good news because I also like to wear short on vacation when it's warm outside and don't wear sweaters in the summer.  I was planning on wearing either jeans or khakis to dinner, but not when out and about around the ship during the day.  We're doing this cruise mainly for the itinerary, but this could be a "one and done" for us on Azamara if it's all long pants and sweaters on their cruises because air conditioning makes it very cold.  That's also a waste of money and energy by the cruise line if they keep AC at levels where inside temperatures are below 70.

I come from a country where we don’t use air conditioning. Trouble is people get used to it, I’m always amazed when on land discovery trips when to us it’s a pleasant temperature and folks conditioned differently are demanding the driver switch on or turn up the AC. 

I feel for the engineers onboard trying to find the optimum temperature that suits all nationalities- the engineering is rather blunt air conditioning not refined climate control with an infinite number of variations. It also get put out of cink when folks insist on leaving their balcony doors open or worse still sleep with them open. We’ve been shown outputs from systems during a visit to the control room that highlights this. 

We’ve also been in the MDR when yes I’d say the AC was fiercer than normal and the table beside us were asking it be turned up as the room was too hot. 

I solve the packing dilemma by taking a shawl wrap. I take it hand luggage as sometimes planes can have variable temperatures. In many countries I buy a second wrap abroad which also gets worn immediately as an alternative and is a holiday souvenir. Funny one of the nicest and most practical one I got recently was bought onboard at the $10 sale I usually avoid. It was the colour that caught my eye but it’s really practical as it’s a semi cardigan wrap - look out for them onboard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

We're cruising in Asia in what is still their summer.  This is not good news because I also like to wear short on vacation when it's warm outside and don't wear sweaters in the summer.  I was planning on wearing either jeans or khakis to dinner, but not when out and about around the ship during the day.  We're doing this cruise mainly for the itinerary, but this could be a "one and done" for us on Azamara if it's all long pants and sweaters on their cruises because air conditioning makes it very cold.  That's also a waste of money and energy by the cruise line if they keep AC at levels where inside temperatures are below 70.

Never had to wear a sweater in an Azamara dining room, just a collared shirt and lightweight slacks.  Shorts and a golf shirt during the day.

Antarctica, of course, required something different during the day.

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

Everyone is different of course and some feel the cold more than others. I've never felt the need to wrap up inside though. Ever. 

Phil 

I early on discovered that I have different thermostat settings than my wife. :)

In the Dining Room I often wear a long sleeve shirt. My wife, as Uktog suggests, may well consider some sort of wrap as a useful piece of clothing.

I’m one of those people who are more often cold, so I come prepared with cardigans, ruanas and hoodies. I’m following this because I’m trying to decide what I will need for our Cruise to Charleston, SC and Bermuda in April out of NYC. 

I’m sure our sea days will be brisk, hoping for high 60s to low or mid 70s in port, and I wasn’t even thinking about inside areas of the ship. Good thing we are not flying for this cruise. I think I’m going to need another suitcase for all the “just in case” situations.

We are also going whale watching in Bermuda so I’m going to need warm waterproof clothes!  Nothing worse than being cold and wet!  

6 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Never had to wear a sweater in an Azamara dining room, just a collared shirt and lightweight slacks.  Shorts and a golf shirt during the day.

Antarctica, of course, required something different during the day.

If that's the case, I'll be fine.  I don't even plan to bring a sweater to southeast Asia in October.  

11 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

If that's the case, I'll be fine.  I don't even plan to bring a sweater to southeast Asia in October.  

You should be fine on the ship.

FYI, the last time we were  in Thailand (which is very hot and humid as are some of our other ports), I purchased pants with zip off bottoms. On tour, I used the shorts but in some religious sites I has to zip on the bottom part of the legs as they had to be covered up. The alternative was to rent a paper like cover up at the site.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

Everyone is different of course and some feel the cold more than others. I've never felt the need to wrap up inside though. Ever. 

Phil 

Nor have I.  Ever.  It seems to me that it must be easier to add layers than to constantly remove garments.  Let's face it, there are limits to undressing!

• Haha 1