Is this type of power bar allowed on board?

25 minutes ago, ace123 said:

Going on Vision and Anthem. Thank you so much for your reply. 

The security people have been confiscating power strips because they think the power strips might have surge protection.  Better to have one that has USB only

Take it on with the box/packaging that clearly shows no surge protection. Once they see that you are good. Security knows. They know more than about 95% of the people here.

Dont let the others ruin your cruise.

Edited by BigBuoys
  • Like 1

We brought this on board, and got it through security with no problem.

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.10ea25dfb03f3a51a5ea5b625db932db.JPG

HOWEVER, due to the orientation of the plug, it wouldn't work because the outlet in our cabin was too close to the top of the counter. If the ground post (the round one) was on the other side of the hot prongs (the flat ones), it would have worked.

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.a70fbdeea4c45e720bcad36556e67167.JPG

Luckily, we had a backup, which also got through security, and worked very well for us.

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.accb98eea5f99acf78c5089cba63259f.JPG

• Haha 1

I took a brand new, still in the package power board that showed on the package that it didnt have surge protection on my cruise last month on the Explorer of the Seas - it was confiscated ☹️. Our cabin steward was sympathetic and actually let us borrow his own for the 6 night cruise.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, BigBuoys said:

Take it on with the box/packaging that clearly shows no surge protection. Once they see that you are good. Security knows. They know more than about 95% of the people here.

Dont let the others ruin your cruise.

Actually, that would work on most cruise lines, but RCI specifically prohibits all power strips and extension cords, so showing them the packaging is useless.  Further, there are examples of advertising (not sure of packaging) that claims to be "non-surge protected", yet the device clearly is.  Look at the "Cruise On" power strip that advertises itself as being non-surge protected on Amazon, yet their own photograph of the back of the unit clearly shows a "VPN" (voltage protection rating), which is a measure of surge protection.  This device is not made by "Cruise On", it is made by NTON, and the labeling changed, and NTON has some power strips that are surge protected and some that are not.  When contacted, "Cruise On" stated that the advertising photo was in error and would be "corrected".  That was over a year ago, and the photo is still there.

And, as for security "knowing" about surge protectors, you are quite incorrect, which is why RCI has banned all power strips and extension cords, to keep the decision making out of the hands of untrained personnel.

Edited by chengkp75

For USB device charging (ANYTHING that will plug in to a USB port) I have one of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K5ZJXF/ref=dp_cerb_3

They make others that don't have USB-C if you don't need it, and others with more than 4 USB ports if you need more.

After my USB needs are covered, I only need one other power plug in the bedroom to charge my camera battery so this covers me.