When will WiFi be free on Celebrity?

mfs2k

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I know they're already charging for room service after 11 PM and this is something quite recent. I had a conversation with my cell phone provider yesterday as I will be 12 nights on the Silhouette later this month without a wifi package. I need to make a phone call upon arrival in FLL before heading to ship.  He said not to make the call even if ship is still docked in port in Florida as I will connect to the ships Marine wifi and data charges are $7.00 per MB if I turn my phone on. I thought I could make a call from my balcony without connecting. Is this true?  I just don't want to incur additional cell charges. 

You will be able to see on your cell the service provider. They do shut down pretty quick once in port but check your top banner and you will know for sure what you are connected to. 

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I know they're already charging for room service after 11 PM and this is something quite recent. I had a conversation with my cell phone provider yesterday as I will be 12 nights on the Silhouette later this month without a wifi package. I need to make a phone call upon arrival in FLL before heading to ship.  He said not to make the call even if ship is still docked in port in Florida as I will connect to the ships Marine wifi and data charges are $7.00 per MB if I turn my phone on. I thought I could make a call from my balcony without connecting. Is this true?  I just don't want to incur additional cell charges. 

Maybe someone else can answer better, but I'd say turn off your cellular data and roaming in the US, and ask your Canadian cell phone provider to give you an international calling plan for the two weeks you're traveling. There's no reason you couldn't then use your phone to make a call using the land based cell towers. If I'm wrong, someone here will correct me. 

5 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Maybe someone else can answer better, but I'd say turn off your cellular data and roaming in the US, and ask your Canadian cell phone provider to give you an international calling plan for the two weeks you're traveling. There's no reason you couldn't then use your phone to make a call using the land based cell towers. If I'm wrong, someone here will correct me. 

As you pointed out, Cellular calling plans are good only while in port. Calling while on board while the ship is underway is on the ships satellite. 

For sure shut down roaming. In our experience it’s best to shut the entire phone off when not in use. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I don't understand why any guest would take an opposing view on this and back the cruise line for charging exorbitant rates for wifi..  

This is like 15 years ago, someone agreeing with the phone company for charging $1.50 a minute to call from Los Angeles to NYC because the lines are costly.  Now it's free. Change happens. 

Although you may not  “understand” why some oppose your view, we do have a right  to have a different opinion than you.  

Food, heat, A/C,  Coffee, tea, water , etc  are not free you pay for those in your cruise fare.  If  someone wants a glass of wine or martini they pay for and those who don’t aren’t paying for something they dont want.   When and if they stop charging those who want unlimited internet access it will just get bundled in the cruise fare.  Then those who are happy with out wi-fi or only need a few minutes a week will be forced to pay so others can be glued to their devices.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Although you may not  “understand” why some oppose your view, we do have a right  to have a different opinion than you.

I was very clear to say "I don't understand."  I never said no one has a right to a different opinion.  I appreciate the constructive opinions and dialogue.  I have my opinion and I don't have to agree with others.  It's ok to think differently.  That doesn't mean I understand it.  

Imagine if politics worked that way, and we all expressed our opinions without trying to tell others their opinions are invalid. 

12 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I believe ships turn off their cell towers when land based coverage becomes available. While in port your phone should connect to a land based provider. On Android phones you can query the current network provider and select a provider. Presumably the features are also available on iOS.

You can turn off data roaming so that no data roaming charges are incurred. You will still be able to make cellular calls. (There could be non-data cellular roaming charges.)

I know Rogers and Bell offer an automatic US roaming plan that has a set daily cost that is only charged if the phone is used. Some of these plans include a data allowance.

I'm confused....the OP says wifi should be free. Then they laud Virgin for having free wifi even though the prices are much much higher. Does the OP genuinely think that wifi is free?  

They say they are expressing an 'educated opinion' but clearly don't understand economics, supply and demand, and general marketing.

OP...you want it free? Take wifi as a perk and tell yourself it was free. Also, I was on Carnival 15 years ago and had a drink package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Here's what I'm hearing from some of you:

A generator onboard is REALLY expensive, so even though we have 2,500 passengers, and 1,500 crew, we're only going to have on board an electrical generator with a capacity for 2,000 people.  So, to solve the problem, we will charge $300 a week to anyone who wants to use unlimited electricity, and the rest get power only certain times of the day. 

See how ridiculous that is on a luxury cruise line?  They need wifi capacity for everyone.  It's doable.  

Celebrity is hardly a luxury cruise line. 

6 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

I'm confused....the OP says wifi should be free. Then they laud Virgin for having free wifi even though the prices are much much higher. Does the OP genuinely think that wifi is free?  

OP was very clear and believes in 2019 WiFi should be treated like any other utility (Electrictity, Gas, Water, ) and should be considered an operating expense in running a hotel, cruise ship, resort, etc.  OP does not believe Wifi should be a profit center. 

30 minutes ago, broberts said:

I know Rogers and Bell offer an automatic US roaming plan that has a set daily cost that is only charged if the phone is used. Some of these plans include a data allowance.

I'm with Roger's and roam like home is $7 per day for calls within a 24 hour period.  Assuming I make 1 call per day that's $95 including HST for a 12 night cruise. I think I will opt out of the plan for now and just pay per minute or use an APP but wifi in ports is not the best at times. Just need to call my family. I had an issue last year and Diamonds International let me use their local phone.

2 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

In reality, free Wi-Fi just means it is already included in the price like with Viking. So everyone is paying for it instead of just those who choose to purchase the service. As it is a monopoly on the ship, there is no reason for them to drop the price either. They keep the price so high to make the perk more valuable. There is a deep discount for additional devices, but there are other ways to make it cheaper.

Yes, the Celebrity price I am sure has something to do with making their perk offers appear more  than they are. Their sister brand Royal charges about $85 for better WiFi than Celebrity sells for $245.  

Edited by Charles4515

4 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

Alcohol...was on my honeymoon. Sailed out of New Orleans on the Conquest

I sailed on Conquest out of New Orleans too, about a year before Katrina. (I think that was my favorite cruise ever.  So much fun in NOLA before and after, and the local passengers from that area were awesome.   I don't remember alcohol drink packages, but I guess I'm mistaken, or the prices were so high (no discounted alcohol perks on Carnival then) that I didn't think it was worth it.  Choosing it as a perk this cruise on Celebrity, made it hugely valuable to our decision process. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Whoever you talked to is wrong. The ships cells towers are turned off automatically by GPS before arriving in ports. I believe at 12 miles out. They have to be in international waters to have their cell service on. Ships don't have a licences to use cell frequency's at the ports. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

OP was very clear and believes in 2019 WiFi should be treated like any other utility (Electrictity, Gas, Water, ) and should be considered an operating expense in running a hotel, cruise ship, resort, etc.  OP does not believe Wifi should be a profit center. 

While I can see arguments made against it being a utility, I can also see a strong case made for it being one as well. However, not on vacation. At home we use it for GPS, email, social media, to check why the electricity is out and when it may be back on....yes, a vital part of everyday living that we take for granted.

On vacation, you don't NEED to do any of those things. Thus, not a necessity and could be considered a luxury. Luxury items cost money. The items you NEED are included in your price of the cruise....food, AC/Heat, potable water, etc.

You're wanting the convenience. Your argument has fallen flat right here. You can't say it's a utility like electricity and then say other venues give it out free. I'm willing to bet the cost of free wifi in airports is passed on to the airlines(the tenants). That free wifi gives passengers the ability to rebook flights and saves labor from having to involve a ticket agent on the phone or at the counter. Also, I would assume the line simply raised the prices of tickets going into or out of any airport they are paying for wifi...so it's not free, you're still paying for it. This is why I said your understanding of economics, supply and demand, and marketing fall short. 

Also, just a suggestion, if you're trying to lead a march to get change, you can't just dismiss everyone's reason for not agreeing. If you do, your march will be small and short lived. 

• Like 1

Celebrity prices are not so much less than Oceania, depending on the itinerary.  We have concierge cabin in Sept. 2019 on Summit for 14 day Canada/New England cruise. Price with 2 perks (we chose classic alcohol package and gratuities) is currently a little over $10,000 and has been at that level for many months. (Luckily we booked it a year ago for a bit under $7300!!)

We are booked on an Oceania Riviera Mediterranean Cruise for next year. It is $8900 for a B1 veranda, 12 days including Internet,  non alcoholic beverages, free specialty restaurants. 2 days less on cruise but actually 1 additional port day since there are only 2 sea days. I don't drink alcohol, DH has a glass of wine or beer with dinner plus something frozen at the pool on sea days, weather permitting. So alcohol expenses are very low.

Also, cabin on Oceania is almost 50 sq.  feet larger than Celebrity cabin.

3 hours ago, justcrusn said:

The problem is, not everyone wants internet on a cruise ship. It cannot be “free” no matter what. You would simply include the cost in the cruise fare and then make passengers who do not use it subsidize those who do. I for one prefer the current “pay to play” system, and yes we usually purchase it.

That's the case for everything though. I don't use the gym or go to the shows (except for Edge) but I still pay for them in my cruise fare. Perhaps those things should be extra too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

You can't say it's a utility like electricity and then say other venues give it out free

As I said earlier, I'm expressing my opinion and not suggesting what other people can and can't say.  A few people here have agreed with me.  I'm ok with that. 

In the end, consumers will be the deciding factor and cruise lines will choose to stay the course or chart a new one. 

3 hours ago, Toftwood said:

I am sorry but I do not concur that WiFi is an essential utility - yes, nice to have but not essential for everyone. There will of course be some passengers who need to be able to check in on a sick relative or something similar but I am not one of those who has to speak to my family every day.  Years ago that did not and could not happen.  I take my phone and iPad with me to take photos and maybe two or three times in a fortnight just see what has been coming in on the emails.  I am looking forward to my upcoming T/Atl trip with lots of sea days (six in one continuous stretch I think) so unless I want to purchase aWiFi package then I will be out of contact.  There are always methods of communication for emergencies but when on holiday/vacation I don’t need or want continuous contact. 

I was shocked on our last cruise to see so many people reading and sending emails at breakfast in the MDR. I am sure most of it was unnecessary.

For YOU it is not essential. For others who need to stay in contact with family (especially parents traveling without their kids) or their business it is essential.

You mention eating breakfast in the MDR. I am someone who generally doesn't eat breakfast. At home I eat it next to never and on vacation only because I get up earlier but overall it is not essential for me. Should breakfast then be an extra fee for those who choose to have it?

On our 14 day European cruise on Silhouette this past August and on our upcoming 14 day Canada/New England on Summit, 1 device unlimited Internet package is $319 before our CC discount. On our upcoming 7 day Bermuda cruise on Summit in May, the cost is around $250-260 before CC discount. This makes the daily rate more than 50% higher on the shorter cruise. Why???

I wish they would just include it once and for all. I am so beyond tired of nickel and diming and the games the cruise lines play with these Go Best type deals that are not really deals at all. I would prefer that the cruise lines just come up with an "all in" plan where you get everything included (internet, tips, drinks, specialty restaurants, activities, special events, maybe 1 shore excursion per port, etc.) and then a cheap bare bones a la carte plan where nothing is included except your cabin and then you add on what you want, even things that are included now like pool and gym access, Cafe Al Bacio, etc. Then no one can complain because you get to pay for what you want.

5 minutes ago, srdancer said:

On our 14 day European cruise on Silhouette this past August and on our upcoming 14 day Canada/New England on Summit, 1 device unlimited Internet package is $319 before our CC discount. On our upcoming 7 day Bermuda cruise on Summit in May, the cost is around $250-260 before CC discount. This makes the daily rate more than 50% higher on the shorter cruise. Why???

It is not because it is shorter, it is simply a large increase in price. It was $22 per day last year and it is $32 per day after the 10% off right now.

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I wish they would just include it once and for all. I am so beyond tired of nickel and diming and the games the cruise lines play with these Go Best type deals that are not really deals at all. I would prefer that the cruise lines just come up with an "all in" plan where you get everything included (internet, tips, drinks, specialty restaurants, activities, special events, maybe 1 shore excursion per port, etc.) and then a cheap bare bones a la carte plan where nothing is included except your cabin and then you add on what you want, even things that are included now like pool and gym access, Cafe Al Bacio, etc. Then no one can complain because you get to pay for what you want.

There are all included cruise, just not on Celebrity, at least not at the regular level. I have looked at one and forget about it after seeing the price tag.