Which LA Port for the Grand Princess???

Woodside Lady

We are on the Grand Princess California Coastal Cruise leaving from SF on March 30th.  One of the ports of call is listed as LA.  There are two ports in LA.  One in Long Beach and one in San Pedro.  Cruise Mapper shows the ship arriving in Long Beach near the Queen Mary.  But all the descriptions of shore excursions makes it sound like the ship will be arriving in San Pedro.  I called Princess and they couldn't confirm either way and suggested calling back the week before the cruise.  Has anyone been on the California Coastal on the Grand Princess and if so, where did the ship arrive in LA? 

It is very confusing.  Sometimes Pacific Coastals from SF stop at Long Beach.  I looked at the San Pedro Port schedule for your visit.  It   IS   stopping in San Pedro.  I have friends who will be on this cruise too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodside Lady said:

We are on the Grand Princess California Coastal Cruise leaving from SF on March 30th.  One of the ports of call is listed as LA.  There are two ports in LA.  One in Long Beach and one in San Pedro.  Cruise Mapper shows the ship arriving in Long Beach near the Queen Mary.  But all the descriptions of shore excursions makes it sound like the ship will be arriving in San Pedro.  I called Princess and they couldn't confirm either way and suggested calling back the week before the cruise.  Has anyone been on the California Coastal on the Grand Princess and if so, where did the ship arrive in LA? 

Most of the time in San Pedro however.........

as stated above it could be Long Beach on a transit stop during a coastal cruise.

• Like 1

World Cruise Center Schedule

Any Month                                     January                                     February                                     March                                     April                                     May                                     June                                     July                                     August                                     September                                     October                                     November                                     December                                 
                                     2018                                     2019                                 

Month Date Day Line Ship LOA Berth Port of Call
April 04-02-2019 Tue PRINCESS Grand Princess 950 B93 In-Transit

The Grand 7 day Coastal usually always stops in Long Beach.

Don't know why it is stopping LA.  I wouldn't be surprised if it really

did stop in Long Beach. (If show your cruise card can tour the Queen Mary.)

Guess you'll find out when your on the Grand. Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woodside Lady said:

They alternate between San Pedro and Long Beach.  Call the LA Port Authority.  They will know.

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

15 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Most of the time in San Pedro however.........

as stated above it could be Long Beach on a transit stop during a coastal cruise.

We did a Pacific Coastal on the Grand last spring and it did indeed stop in Long Beach.  The location was perfect and we were able to walk over to the Queen Mary to tour the grand old girl.  If you show your cruise card, at least when we went, the entrance was complimentary.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

We did a Pacific Coastal on the Grand last spring and it did indeed stop in Long Beach.  The location was perfect and we were able to walk over to the Queen Mary to tour the grand old girl.  If you show your cruise card, at least when we went, the entrance was complimentary.  

Nice!

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

Nice!

Not to mention there is a complimentary shuttle that takes you into the town of Long Beach.  I understand they have a great aquarium there as well as a museum that looked interesting.  

• Like 2

I am on this cruise and received an e-mail from Princess saying that the LA stop will be in San Pedro. Port departure time was moved up 1 hour.

I received this e-mail over a year ago. Long Beach Grand Prix may or may not have something to do with the change. My cruise personalizer says we stop at Los Angeles, which means San Pedro. Long Beach means Long Beach.

Edited by EDDY0827

Last years Grand's Cal Coastal stop in Los Angeles and we went to see the Battleship Iowa BB-61.  It was located on the next berth.  There was a free Trolley taking you to the LA Maritime Museum, Battleship Iowa, Historical Downtown, CRAFTED (Home Made Market Place), Cabrillo Beach and the S.S. Lane Victory (Merchant Marine Cargo Ship) and returns to Berth 93.   

• Like 1

We're on the 30 March cruise as well and have done this same cruise for the last 2 years.  Previously we have stopped at Long Beach both times the week of the Grand Prix which means the city streets are set up as the race course...very cool.  HOWEVER,  for this year's cruise we received an email from Princess stating that the port of call would be Los Angeles (San Pedro) and NOT Long Beach.  The cruise this year is approximately one month earlier than it has been in the past (March instead of April) and I think that due to timing, there may be a conflict with a Carnival ship in Long Beach that day.  Not to despair, the USS Iowa (BB-61) is a fantastic adventure and well worth the time.  Among other things, she is famous as the only ship in the history of the US Navy to have a bathtub on board.  It was constructed for FDR to be used during his trip to the Malta conference.

May fair winds and calm seas fill your journey.

Eddy0827, I show posted departure time from wherever the LA port is as 9PM.  Is that the correct time (after the one hour move up) or are we in for a surprise?  And yes, I now have conflicting websites that show the ship will be in both Long Beach and San Pedro that day.  Like I said, when I called Princess, they didn't confirm either way.  There also appears to be a LOT of construction in San Pedro right now (they are tearing down Ports-O-Call) and the lovely red trolley isn't currently operating.  Perhaps the port has worked out some other form of transportation for passengers "enjoying" a port day in San Pedro.  Hope so.  

9pm is the adjusted time, originally it was 10pm.

" Like I said, when I called Princess, they didn't confirm either way."

Often times I have found, they can't even confirm that their shoes are tied. 3 calls, 4 different answers. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of our March 30 CC Roll call group is also on the March 20 sailing.  So she asked the folks on the Grand Princess, Long Beach or San Pedro?  They weren't real clear either, but they were leaning towards San Pedro.  Hard to set up car rentals or anything with that kind of a vague answer.  Oh well, any port in a ...

On 3/5/2019 at 5:39 PM, Woodside Lady said:

Princess ships prefer to dock at Berth 93 in San Pedro, but do not always.   For example, the Star

will dock at San Pedro's Berth 46 on the 30th, way down at the foot of Miner St.  You will even (rarely)

see a Princess ship over in Long Beach on one of the two days of the week that Carnival brand isn't

using that berth.

Check https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule for where

the Port of LA currently plans to put ships.  When I just looked, it said Majestic was to be in-transit

at Berth 93, which is at the big World Cruise Center.