charging for a 1year old

MooNGaTe27

On 3/7/2019 at 2:08 PM, MooNGaTe27 said:

going on the Sunshine in Nov & carnival is charging for a 1 yr old .The worst part is they are making me get a room that can handle 3 people & they are charging for port tax & tips .

This is a 1yr old she wont be eating in any of the venues & she wont be making a mess ( of the room lol ) Has this happened to anyone Im I just to suck this up ? Help.

NCL often offers 3rd/4th passenger free - still have to pay port fees/taxes.

13 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Hi OP, I know some of these posts are roasters, but let me give you some advice as we have been in the same situation for the last couple years with little kids.

CCL is just not the way to go. NCL has regular sales for '3/4the guest free' and MSC has 'kids sail free'..........and before someone says it, no, they dont just jack up the first two rates to make up for the free 3rd/4th. They are actually free. We sailed MSC and mainly NCL the past two years and did this several times.

Now, CCL is great once your kiddo is 2yo, because they can go to kids camp. I believe all the other major lines at 3yo before they can go to kids camp, so thats a huge plus for CCL once they hit that age, and in fact why we have moved back to sailing CCL. Enjoy!

You were not talking about NCL when you said they do not jack up the rates....were you?

No one offers ‘kids sail free’ the way OP is thinking about it. Children of all ages counting as a body and being charged as such is universal. I don’t believe that any cruise line would allow a parent and a child in the room to pay single occupancy rates or two children in a room by themselves to pay nothing. Some cruise lines for some cruises will offer either a third and fourth person free or kids sail free when there are more than two others in the same cabin. These and promotions and for the most part, the price of those fares is built into the price of the cabin that holds those additional people. You would still have to pay the cost to upgrade to a 3-4 person cabin and the pay the taxes on everyone. 

I would think twice about taking a small child on a cruise.  We just got off the Horizon and I am not exaggerating, every night at dinner, there was a same baby that cried all the way through dinner.  You could see the mother walking around trying to quiet the baby but it never worked.  I felt sorry for her because she couldn't enjoy her meal.  Those babies will never remember going on a cruise that young.  Wait until they get a little older and both you and them can enjoy it.

28 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I would think twice about taking a small child on a cruise.  We just got off the Horizon and I am not exaggerating, every night at dinner, there was a same baby that cried all the way through dinner.  You could see the mother walking around trying to quiet the baby but it never worked.  I felt sorry for her because she couldn't enjoy her meal.  Those babies will never remember going on a cruise that young.  Wait until they get a little older and both you and them can enjoy it.

So basically, a typical day.   that baby is gonna cry if it is at home as well.  i don't think people should stop vacationing because they have a baby.  I personally (and a personal decision, not advocating everyone do this, but for ME) am waiting for my daughter to turn 2 simply because i want to utilize camp carnival.   i have a crying baby daily on my hands and i don't want one every single minute of my cruise.  others are ok with this and they can vacation around it.   But being a mom, kids are gonna be kids, they are going to cry and have tantrums and do all of that stuff on land.  if you are in a position to cruise with a baby and get enjoyment out of it, i say go for it. 

...and another thing.  it is a scientific fact that mothers of young children never get to enjoy a meal.   why do you think the Momma Bear's porridge was always cold!  Moms are the last to finish any meal.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

So basically, a typical day.   that baby is gonna cry if it is at home as well.  i don't think people should stop vacationing because they have a baby.  I personally (and a personal decision, not advocating everyone do this, but for ME) am waiting for my daughter to turn 2 simply because i want to utilize camp carnival.   i have a crying baby daily on my hands and i don't want one every single minute of my cruise.  others are ok with this and they can vacation around it.   But being a mom, kids are gonna be kids, they are going to cry and have tantrums and do all of that stuff on land.  if you are in a position to cruise with a baby and get enjoyment out of it, i say go for it. 

You could clearly tell my the look on her face that she was not enjoying it nor were the people around her that were trying to eat a peaceful meal.  More than once she left the dining room with the crying baby.

Just now, RWolver672 said:

You could clearly tell my the look on her face that she was not enjoying it nor were the people around her that were trying to eat a peaceful meal.  More than once she left the dining room with the crying baby.

once again, this is just daily life.   she just happened to be on a ship. 

1 hour ago, pyropoodle said:

once again, this is just daily life.   she just happened to be on a ship. 

But it’s kind of a kick in the pants for be paying good money for an experience that you aren’t able to enjoy because of the crying baby. While doing this at home, it’s just part of life. 

Cooking and cleaning is part of my daily life. Doesn’t mean I have any interest in doing it while I’m on vacation.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:59 PM, AdGuyMG said:

I'm not sure about MSC, but Royal Caribbean and NCL have black out dates for Kids Sail Free and 3rd 4th free.

Offer excludes Spring Break sailings (Sailings between March 16 – 30, 2019)
Holy Week/Easter sailings (Sailings between April 13 – 22, 2019)
Summer sailings (Sailings between May 15 – August 31, 2019)
2019 Thanksgiving sailings (Sailings between November 23 - 30, 2019). 

And of course, Christmas and New Years.

Very true. MSC doesnt necessarily have blackout dates, but they offer it on 'select' cruises. You can actually search by which cruises are Kids Sail Free 

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I would think twice about taking a small child on a cruise....

Those babies will never remember going on a cruise that young.  Wait until they get a little older and both you and them can enjoy it.

I read this advice many times on CC before I had children. Glad I didn't follow it. Kids started cruising at 13 months and are now at cruise #10. They are 7 and 9 and we've taken them from the Caribbean tAlaska to the Mediterranean to Cuba and back. I wouldn't give up any of the memories. 

You're right though. The kids will not remember going on these cruises. But the parents will, and its priceless. I make photo albums of every vacation that we take, and the kids love to go to that shelf, grab an album, and go through the photos. I'll ask them "Do you remember when we went there?" and several times they'll say no. But they still love going over the photos, and they ask many questions about each trip. It's wonderful to relive the experience. 

• Like 4

I would think twice about taking a small child on a cruise. 

I would disagree.  Our children have been cruising since the oldest was 7 months old.  We happened to be on an NCL cruise that time, and our entire extended family sat for 2 solid hours in LeBistro enjoying a fantastic meal.  Our son was in his carrier and he never once acted up.  Of course, we made sure he had been fed prior to our dinner and was comfortable.  The cruise was certainly enjoyable, as were all of our cruises with our 2 kids.  It is what you make of it.

• Like 2

believe me, nobody enjoys a crying baby.  but that doesn't mean her whole cruise was horrible.  just because dinner was noisy and uncomfortable doesn't mean that the mother didn't have 1,000 other good minutes and times.   it's still not a reason to not cruise if you are able.

it's almost like mothers aren't supposed to take their babies anywhere.  just keep them at home until they are old enough to have manners. meanwhile, they'll never learn how to have acceptable bahaviour in society if one never lets them out into society.

• Like 3

We are renewing our vows for our 25th in August. My BEST guest is my flower girl (grandaughter) who is gonna be 8 months old. I couldn't imagine doing this without her! If she cries during dinner I will bring her back to my cabin and order room service! 

To be able to do this with my WHOLE family (all 20 of us) is an honor! She may not remember it, but I sure will! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

believe me, nobody enjoys a crying baby.  but that doesn't mean her whole cruise was horrible.  just because dinner was noisy and uncomfortable doesn't mean that the mother didn't have 1,000 other good minutes and times.   it's still not a reason to not cruise if you are able.

it's almost like mothers aren't supposed to take their babies anywhere.  just keep them at home until they are old enough to have manners. meanwhile, they'll never learn how to have acceptable bahaviour in society if one never lets them out into society.

Sorry but a one year old is too young to learn acceptable behavior.  As I said before, a one year old when asked fifteen years from now how that first cruise was will have no memory of it.  Ask the mother and she will tell you that all you did was bawled at dinner ruining the meal for all of the people around you.  

I am a parent.  When our boys were babies, we left them with relatives and went on vacations.  When they were 4 or 5, we started taking them with us everywhere we went.  They still have fond memories of every vacation we took.  You have your opinion, I have mine.  I won't try to change you and you won't change me.  

Would you want to be in a cabin next to a baby that cried all night?  Would you want to sit down for a meal and have a crying baby be next to you all through the meal?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

I would disagree.  Our children have been cruising since the oldest was 7 months old.  We happened to be on an NCL cruise that time, and our entire extended family sat for 2 solid hours in LeBistro enjoying a fantastic meal.  Our son was in his carrier and he never once acted up.  Of course, we made sure he had been fed prior to our dinner and was comfortable.  The cruise was certainly enjoyable, as were all of our cruises with our 2 kids.  It is what you make of it.

And that's the difference right there.  

7 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Sorry but a one year old is too young to learn acceptable behavior.  As I said before, a one year old when asked fifteen years from now how that first cruise was will have no memory of it.  Ask the mother and she will tell you that all you did was bawled at dinner ruining the meal for all of the people around you.  

I am a parent.  When our boys were babies, we left them with relatives and went on vacations.  When they were 4 or 5, we started taking them with us everywhere we went.  They still have fond memories of every vacation we took.  You have your opinion, I have mine.  I won't try to change you and you won't change me.  

Would you want to be in a cabin next to a baby that cried all night?  Would you want to sit down for a meal and have a crying baby be next to you all through the meal?

not everyone has relatives they can drop children off with.  I sure don't. so if I want to go somewhere, the babies go with me.  do my kids remember going to a grocery store when they were 1?  no, but they go and now they have gone so often, they know how to behave in a grocery store.

I can't just leave my kids at home because it's convenient for everyone else when I  need a vacation.

• Like 2

I would rather stay home with a 1 year old, hands down.  We didn't cruise until our youngest was 2 and could utilize the camp carnival, which is outstanding.  I wouldn't vacation with a 1 year old, no point in that.  What a nightmare.  At least when you are home you have all the comforts of home that help you take care of your baby.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

not everyone has relatives they can drop children off with.  I sure don't. so if I want to go somewhere, the babies go with me.  do my kids remember going to a grocery store when they were 1?  no, but they go and now they have gone so often, they know how to behave in a grocery store.

I can't just leave my kids at home because it's convenient for everyone else when I  need a vacation.

Let's just drop this.  It had to do with a parent complaining about taking a 1 year old and having to pay for it.  If he wants to take his one year old on a cruise, that's his business but he's going to have to pay for it like everyone else.

• Like 1